Gregg.....Roy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregg.....Roy

So I'm in the unique position of liking the Shox and UNC. I grew up in NC....
    I keep hearing Heels fans bash Gregg because he 'bad mouthed Roy and UNC' at some coaching clinic. One dude says he was there but won't post what the quote was or the context. I know many hear don't like Roy either and that's fine; I'm not wanting debate that. Does this stem from Gregg's days in South Carolina? Just curious.
    Last edited by kstarheel; January 23, 2014, 02:59 PM.

How do we know that actually happened?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
      How do we know that actually happened?
      Personally, I'd like to believe it did.

Comment

I'll go bash the little weasel...........

Comment

I'm just trying to avoid stating the obvious the my fellow Heels fans: if Gregg had Roy's team this year, they would NOT be looking at another NIT bid. But I wouldn't trade this WSU team for that one for anything. Roy can't coach defense to save his soul; never has been able to. He just tries to outscore you... well, that team can't shoot worth a piss so they are struggling, especially from the line.

I imagine Gregg said something about 'well if I had UNC's talent pool or budget....' something like that. But who knows. I'm just about to be WSU fan only... sick of the 'blueblood' schools and their entitled fan bases. Give me blue collar; give me angry. :-)

Comment

FWIW (probably a pinch of poo), Roy was on CBS radio last year prior to the Final Four and had nothing but good things to say about our team and program... I recall he even mentioned the great coaching by HCGM.

Disclaimer: at my age you never know if it's only a dream. :)
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

@kstarheel: , just checking ... you have heard the Maurice Evans story, right?

Roy ain't exactly well regarded around these parts.

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember the Evans saga. There was some bad blood between WSU and KU prior to that but that REALLY set things off, at least in my circles. It's just too bad WSU didn't have a coach like Marshall back then.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
                  @kstarheel: , just checking ... you have heard the Maurice Evans story, right?

Roy ain't exactly well regarded around these parts.
                  To this point, when I saw a thread started with a title that listed roy and Gregg together without punctuation seperating them it made me very sad.
                  "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
                    I'm just trying to avoid stating the obvious the my fellow Heels fans: if Gregg had Roy's team this year, they would NOT be looking at another NIT bid. But I wouldn't trade this WSU team for that one for anything. Roy can't coach defense to save his soul; never has been able to. He just tries to outscore you... well, that team can't shoot worth a piss so they are struggling, especially from the line.

I imagine Gregg said something about 'well if I had UNC's talent pool or budget....' something like that. But who knows. I'm just about to be WSU fan only... sick of the 'blueblood' schools and their entitled fan bases. Give me blue collar; give me angry. :-)
                    I would think that there are many many coaches that would like to have the talent and resources UNC has....

Gregg may be the only coach who doesnt mind verbalizing it! :)
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by jpshocker View Post
                      To this point, when I saw a thread started with a title that listed roy and Gregg together without punctuation seperating them it made me very sad.
                      Better? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
                        Better? ;-)
                        Perfect!
                        "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Except for the one year, Rot hasn't exactly been making additional fans at UNC. Roy has some challenges back there in Carolina.

Comment

I found an old thread on here and it reminded me that Gregg called out Roy for comparing a loss to the tragedy in Haiti. And @Veritas: is right, UNC fans are **** full of looking at NIT births under Roy. 2 titles, awesome. But K is kicking his ass right now.

Comment

UNC has a thread, albeit a small one in terms of comments, titled 'Gregg Marshal'. Basically whether he would be a good hire for their program. Pretty generic, but a few posters who go on to say about he can rub people the wrong way and that one poster stated he bad mouth Roy with no proof whatsoever.

Listen, I won't pretend to know GM and how he is off and on the court. I have no clue what he does, what he says or how he behaves in the coaching circuit. But I've got two thoughts on this. I'm growing weary of the national experts and casual fans that are perceiving GM as being a man full of bravado, cockiness, arrogance and basically a jerk. Where in thee hell did this come from? Since his tenure here, I can't think of one controversial behavior or comment that GM has displayed/made that supports this reputation. I don't recall seeing Winthrop fans ever commenting about the same as well.

He graduates his players, his players keep their nose clean, the program has kept its nose clean and he seems to be a wonderful ambassador to the City. For once, I would love to hear from these fans and media clowns who make remarks about GM's personality to come forth with some hard evidence rather than the status quo comeback of "I heard from my friend's mom's aunt who is married to the brother whose cousin is an assistant coach at an AAU program" crap!

I have no problem whatsoever GM strongly defending WSU and trying to convey to these clowns that we are not some low mid major program who is lucky to be invited to the party. He's one man fighting an uphill battle to convince the brainwashed BCS masses that good basketball is not isolated to the BCS conferences. Show me a videotape or voice recording of GM acting like an A-Hole, then I'll start to rethink my position. Hell, if that Rutger's basketball coach can get canned from a leaked videotape of him throwing basketballs, pushing, shoving, kicking at his players, then certainly there's got to be a videotape of GM being a dick to someone right? I haven't seen it, hmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X