NCAA Points for "Trying" to Schedule Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Points for "Trying" to Schedule Up

You know...in this day of age regarding all the "data" that so many of theses college basketball polls consist of....I wish there was one more "measurement" that would/could and should be used. So here goes a "wishful" idea....

Again...considering all the data the rpi, sargains, NCAA selection committee, etc. uses...maybe there should be one more category to add for consideration of tournament seeding and weekly AP ranking type stuff.

THIS:
    Every head coach of every Division I team before the season starts....has a folder consisting of every team (school) they have submitted an invite to schedule a game against. This folder is submitted to the NCAA selection committee, national media, etc. and is available to view on-line for all college basketball fans.

Then...on that form....in the checkbox that ask...Did school accept your invite to play/schedule a game? or Did the school NOT accept your invitation to play/schedule a game?

That way at the start of the season...all the transparency comes out for fans/voters/media people, etc. to view and make their own judgements about particular teams/schools scheduling practices.

So in other words....there would be some sort of measurement of points a particular school would be awarded for "attempting" to schedule up.
    And there would be some sort of negative points a school would get for scheduling their ooc schedule "down". See Ohio St., Syracuse

As us Wichita St. fans know....this would be a great thing! Pretty much every mid-major would love this to be factored into their overall points for their program showing the strength of their particular program.

Lol ~ I realize this proposal would get shut down by the blue-bloods and BCS schools quicker than you know what....but what a fun curve to the same-ole same-ole of BCS schools running scared. You can't be bad-ass but run from certain schools that would like to schedule you.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

So every second tier program invites a bunch of national powerhouses to play them. Even though they get shot down they get a "Thanks for Trying" sticker? Lol.

Boyd Nation had something like ISR in baseball for intended schedule strength. Games scheduled against teams that have preseason ranking or prior season good RPI are weighted higher. Gives an interesting number to consider.

Now we're stuck with the "eye test" ... whatever that means.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Screw it. It's a good ol' boy network and Gregg has a blue blazer now. One more deep run and we'll get big time games. Trust in HC3GM.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

More 'fair' would be to take the self scheduling out and just schedule everyone. Rivalries like Missouri vs Illinois are still there. Iowa schools vs each other. And force regional play to make up for some big travel. But you could really even it all out.

But is that a good thing? KU, for as much **** as I give them, did a great job scheduling this year (save for one obvious missing game). I don't know if I would want someone taking away that Florida game to give them a game vs Mo St or something.

So in the end I'll keep it as is and not worry about it.

Comment

What if the NCAA Selection Committee required that higher seed teams (like #1 vs. #16, or whatever the case may be) had to play that same team at their next place within two years of the NCAA Tournament game. Kind of like the guaranteed return game for the Bracketbusters. I think you could even require it for the next round (like #1 vs. #8, or whomever). Heck, you might even be able to do it for the sweet 16 teams.

So last year, we would have gotten Pittsburgh, Gonzaga, Ohio State at our place and then had to go to La Salle.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
            So every second tier program invites a bunch of national powerhouses to play them. Even though they get shot down they get a "Thanks for Trying" sticker? Lol.
            Yes EXACTLY!!! But......there would be certain criteria that would have to be met. Like for example...could The Sister's of the Poor College really pay UCLA or Louisville to schedule a home and home with them? Me thinks not. So the invite or "offer" has to be legit. Again..."criteria".

Now if Wichita St. offers or "invites" UCLA or Louisville for a home and home...obviously the finances from Wichita St. would be greater than what Sisters of the Poor could pay. Thus Sisters of the poor would not even attempt to invite Louisville or UCLA or etc. because they would know by the criteria that is stated in this new category that their offer would NOT COUNT. :)

So in other words...before an invite to schedule goes out to any of the BCS schools....the financial package has to meet certain "criteria".
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
            X