Breakdown of record under Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakdown of record under Marshall

I put together this breakdown from StatSheet showing the last 3 seasons plus the current one and also Marshall's entire career here.

The improvement in Away games is remarkable, both in conference and outside. Not shown, but our non-conference away is 8-2 and 11-8 while our non-conference at home is 29-1 and 47-4.

Kind of surprised at the RPI 1-50, but it will get better.

Last edited by im4wsu; January 17, 2014, 11:15 AM. Reason: Corrected table
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Check your percentages in the 'All Marshall Years' column. I think there's some errors. 38-29 should not have a percentage sub 50%.

Comment

How is Conf neutral 0 ,, are St. lou games not considered Nuetral ???
      From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

The consistency between home and away the last three years is amazing.

The close games stats really support Pomeroy's argument that chance plays a big role in close games.
        Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
          Check your percentages in the 'All Marshall Years' column. I think there's some errors. 38-29 should not have a percentage sub 50%.
          Corrected and added the OOC records.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
            How is Conf neutral 0 ,, are St. lou games not considered Nuetral ???
            I'd agree with you, but I'm just going to report it as they have it.

Comment

Help me follow the math....9 conference home games a year. Take away ISU, UNI and BU this season...that's 21-7 except we only played 27 home games in 3 seasons, not 28.

Also...there's only 50 conference home games, should be 54 + 5. It's hard to believe we have 7 home conference losses the last 3 seasons, but only 3 in the 3 seasons prior to those...can that be right?

Comment

Still hard to believe we've averaged losing 2+ conference home games per season under Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Still hard to believe we've averaged losing 2+ conference home games per season under Marshall.
                  I have us at 43-14 at home in MVC in the 3G era. It is hard to believe what you said, but if you consider that we were 3-6 in that first season, that makes sense as 6 in one year will skew your average a bit. Take out the first season, and we had 8 losses over the next 5 years, which comes out to 1.6. Running the table at home this year would drop that to 1.33 over 6 years. That's a bit more logical.
                  Last edited by WuShock16; January 17, 2014, 12:00 PM.
                  78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    This actually indicates that our home conference record has gotten worse over the 3+ years than before that time.

24-7 2010-14 vs 16-3 2007-09. Total 40-10.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      Corrected and added the OOC records.

2010-2014 conference home and away total 14 losses. You have an overall conference record of 47-13.

Surprising that our conf. home record is only 1 win better overall than our road record.

Comment

I'm confused about the overall record, im4. Since Marshall arrived, WSU is 157-70 altogether (11-20, 17-17, 25-10, 29-8, 27-6, 30-9, 18-0 so far this year). What am I missing in your tables?

Regardless of the exact numbers, I certainly second the previous comment about "close" games. That's something you find in all sports, because over the long run, luck -- a ball taking a bad hop or landing just fair instead of foul, a funny bounce of that crazily shaped football, a slip on a wet spot on the court or a shot that bounces on the rim and drops in or out, or a blown call that isn't reviewable or is blown anyway (you can probably think of several examples right off the top of your head) -- tends to even out, and it can play a disproportionate role in close games. That's one reason it's good to see the Shocks winning by multiple possessions almost all the time this year. It's much safer that way.

Comment

Marshall has a winning record at WSU in both the NIT and NCAA tournaments...how many other Valley coaches can say that???

Comment

okay. I've discarded the StatSheet stuff and calculated my own stats, soI had to do away with the breakdown by RPI, but I added Average Margin of Victory.

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
                              Marshall has a winning record at WSU in both the NIT and NCAA tournaments...how many other Valley coaches can say that???
                              None. No other Valley coach has coached at WSU. ;)

Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X