Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WSU Open House

Originally posted by xazshox
    There was a huge turnout for the open house today. I expect the players & Coach Marshall all have writing cramp by now after signing thousands of autographs on a team picture. We showed up at 3:05 PM & didn't get out of there until 5:50 PM!
    You must have been right there with me and my daughter. That is exactly when I got in and out.

Comment

Also, I never noticed the shockernet.net tile in the little "these people gave us money" shrine.

Also, major props to the guys for sticking through that whole thing. I mean, they should have stayed there and they did what they should have done and it isn't like signing your name a few thousand times is the hardest thing in the world but even though I was one of the last ones through the line, they were still joking and having fun and talking to my daughter.

The tour was interesting. First you check out the Volleyball digs. Those girls don't even get connected rooms, and if they keep doing as well as they have been doing I'm going to call for them to swap with Women's Basketball :O WVB had one nice big screen.

Then off to WBB who had a bit bigger and a bit nicer digs. Their lockers weren't as decorated as the VB but still. They had two flat screen TVs and I think it was a PS2.

Then off to MBB, who had even bigger and even nicer stuff. They had 3 flat panels (from 3 different manufacturers which makes me think they just kept getting added), and an x360. Their locker room had no decorations and was very plain. PJ had a bunch of tickets in his locker (sorry for invading your privacy PJ, I didn't touch anything I swear!) so I wonder if those were his senior night tickets for his family.

The press room was tiny.

The weight room was amazing. I work out at Genesis so I'm used to seeing a lot of nice equipment and this put those places to shame (as they should).

I only got lost once!

All and all, it was very cool stuff.

Comment

It was AJ's cousin, that was confirmed by a member of athletic department. He was AJ's ride or AJ was his ride is the vibe I got.

Comment

i asked JT Durley about the fellow in the letter jacket sitting behind WuShock in the autograph line and he told me that it was Hawkins "friend".. and got a big grin. i have a feeling that he's a recruit.?. correct me if i'm wrong...

Comment

I forgot to share the best moment for me today.

After the tour, my daughter (14 mo) and I were standing in the middle of the court when the music changed. this got her attention and she looked up to see what was making the noise.

first her eyes got real big and then her head tilted as far back as it would go. then, in almost a whisper she says...

oooooooooohh
            wooooooow

I looked up and it is a different view but she was just in awe

again she, 14mo who barely says anything (she signs more than she talks) just looks fixated at the ceiling and says oooooooooohh

that made the time in line worth it.

Comment

they had the actual lockers closed off when I went through. Our guide brought us one of Phils Shoes and My on gave his best Harry Carey impersonation at.

I actually didnt get to talk to the players that much I was feeling like to much of a male groupie. Ramo told us that the Knicks are going to win the chip beating the spurs in 7. I asked Mantas how is knee was *he really didnt say anything* I told him to get it better hget back and start strokin because he was well on his way to coming around. At that Gal laughed.

Comment

Mantas

I asked Mantas about his knee, too. Actually, I told him that I had read where he was going to be able to run straight line in about 3 mos, & he replied that he was going "to beat that by a wide margin" or something like that. It sounded like he is anxious to get back!

Comment

Bret Michaels

Regarding Shelfshuffler's comments early in this thread where he quoted his wife to the effect that Brett told her he is "100 % healthy & will be back soon", that is the opposite of what he told me later. He said that he had torn cartilage in his knee & is going to have an operation soon. As such, he admitted that he is out for the rest of the season. It's a shame.

Comment

Re: Mantas

I asked Mantas about his knee, too. Actually, I told him that I had read where he was going to be able to run straight line in about 3 mos, & he replied that he was going "to beat that by a wide margin" or something like that. It sounded like he is anxious to get back!
                    If you noticed Saturday night, Mantas stood behind the bench without the aid of crutches. Now as he walked away and entered the tunnel, he then enlisted the aid of crutches. His ability to stand on his own and bear weight this early after the surgery bodes well for a rapid return to full speed. I would anticipate that he will be participating in summer games at full speed. That is a TREMENDOUS outcome based upon the injury.

Comment

Re: Mantas

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      If you noticed Saturday night, Mantas stood behind the bench without the aid of crutches. Now as he walked away and entered the tunnel, he then enlisted the aid of crutches. His ability to stand on his own and bear weight this early after the surgery bodes well for a rapid return to full speed. I would anticipate that he will be participating in summer games at full speed. That is a TREMENDOUS outcome based upon the injury.
                      Yesterday when he was walking up thru the tunnel to take his seat he was on crutches. It looked like though during Coaches interview on Sports Sunday last night that he was in the background standing w/o crutches.

Comment

I just wanted to echo some of the sentiments about how great these players are as people and not just athletes. My 4 year old son when he found out we were brining him to this and that he would get to meet PJ, drew him a picture and gave it to him, PJ was nice enough to open the picture up and get his picture taken with my son while holding the picture. Just an great moment that my son and I won't soon forget. The tour was really cool and again my son was able to sit in PJ's chair in front of his locker and get his picture taken. My wife, my son and I really enjoyed the whole experience and it was well worth the 2 hour drive. A classy facility for classy people. These kids deserve the best because they are class acts both on and off the courts. Thank you again to WSU and yesterday just reminds me again how proud I am to be a SHOCKER!!!!!!!
                        THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

.......................video..................

Can anybody here beat 52 years ??

Jack Straw ( from Wichita )

Comment

I was somewhat surpirsed when I saw the Eagle headline following he event:

"Hundreds at Shocker Open House"

This was the healine for the online version. Not sure what the print version used as a headline.

While not technically inaccurate, there were about 30 hundreds who showed up, it does seem a little understated. I was a little surprised when I saw that headline after seeing the TV report the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                              I was somewhat surpirsed when I saw the Eagle headline following he event:

"Hundreds at Shocker Open House"

This was the healine for the online version. Not sure what the print version used as a headline.

While not technically inaccurate, there were about 30 hundreds who showed up, it does seem a little understated. I was a little surprised when I saw that headline after seeing the TV report the night before.
                              What can you do other than say "Wichita Eagle" and then laugh?

Comment

Working...
                              X