AP Poll Appearances: WSU versus the MVC, and Others of Note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP Poll Appearances: WSU versus the MVC, and Others of Note

In yet another installment of "what in the heck is WSU doing in the Valley", I present to you historic AP poll appearance metrics of the MVC members - current and some prior - along with others of note.

School - Total Appearances - Percentage of AP Polls Ranked - Average Rank - High Rank

MVC

Bradley - 128 - 11.9% - 7.9 - 1
    WSU - 99 - 9.2% -11.4 - 1
    Loyola - 49 - 4.5% - 6.4 - 1
    Drake - 32 - 3.0% - 14.6 - 7
    ISUb - 22 - 2.0% - 6.5 - 1
    SIU - 17 - 1.6% - 18.0 - 11
    ISUr - 11 - 1.0% - 17.1 - 13
    UNI - 7 - 0.6% - 23.3 - 19
    MSU - 1 - 0.1% - 20.0 - 20
    Evansville - Goose Eggs

Others of Interest

Gonzaga - 170 - 15.8% - 14.4 - 1
    New Mexico - 145 - 13.5% - 14.0 - 3
    BYU - 129 - 12% - 14.8 - 3
    SLU - 101 - 9.4% - 11.8 - 1
    Butler - 85 - 7.9% - 15.9 - 8
    Tulsa - 82 - 7.6% - 15.3 - 6
    Creighton - 57 - 5.3% - 17.4 - 10
    SDSU - 49 - 4.5% - 16.0 - 4
    Saint Mary's - 21 - 1.9% - 20.6 - 14
    VCU - 17 - 1.6% - 17.6 - 10

Source: http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/index.cfm

My own personal caveats on this data would be:

*Let's get it going again Bradley! Think of us as Yoda, and you Luke Skywalker. Get your act together you must.
    *Short of a Revelations-like resurrection, Loyola's stats might as well be a pile of bones in a coffin somewhere.
    *Would have guessed SIU's extended run a few years ago would have put them in a better spot.
    *Pretty solid evidence that the Iowa State Teachers College has an opinion of themselves that's not supported by reality. Ranked only 7 weeks in total? Seriously? STFU!
    *Guess MSU really is a "football school", because they certainly aren't a basketball school.
    *Go away Evansville. The NAIA would be a nice fit for your AD.
    *Fighting Sweater Vests of Omaha? See UNI comment above, but multiple by infiniti.
    *The VCU board would probably not like this link one bit.

I worked up a related thread when 3G re-upped his contract in early fall, that some might enjoy if not already seen:

What's really sad about your former thread is that the school that spends the least on basketball in the Valley and has the lowest revenues among the MVC football schools, may be the next best basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      What's really sad about your former thread is that the school that spends the least on basketball in the Valley and has the lowest revenues among the MVC football schools, may be the next best basketball team.
      Brings to mind a popular word in our current culture: (un)sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Brings to mind a popular word in our current culture: (un)sustainable.
        It was only odumtainable.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          In yet another installment of "what in the heck is WSU doing in the Valley", I present to you historic AP poll appearance metrics of the MVC members - current and some prior - along with others of note.

School - Total Appearances - Percentage of AP Polls Ranked - Average Rank - High Rank

MVC

Bradley - 128 - 11.9% - 7.9 - 1
          WSU - 99 - 9.2% -11.4 - 1
          Loyola - 49 - 4.5% - 6.4 - 1
          Drake - 32 - 3.0% - 14.6 - 7
          ISUb - 22 - 2.0% - 6.5 - 1
          SIU - 17 - 1.6% - 18.0 - 11
          ISUr - 11 - 1.0% - 17.1 - 13
          UNI - 7 - 0.6% - 23.3 - 19
          MSU - 1 - 0.1% - 20.0 - 20
          Evansville - Goose Eggs

Others of Interest

Gonzaga - 170 - 15.8% - 14.4 - 1
          New Mexico - 145 - 13.5% - 14.0 - 3
          BYU - 129 - 12% - 14.8 - 3
          SLU - 101 - 9.4% - 11.8 - 1
          Butler - 85 - 7.9% - 15.9 - 8
          Tulsa - 82 - 7.6% - 15.3 - 6
          Creighton - 57 - 5.3% - 17.4 - 10
          SDSU - 49 - 4.5% - 16.0 - 4
          Saint Mary's - 21 - 1.9% - 20.6 - 14
          VCU - 17 - 1.6% - 17.6 - 10

Source: http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/index.cfm

My own personal caveats on this data would be:

*Let's get it going again Bradley! Think of us as Yoda, and you Luke Skywalker. Get your act together you must.
          *Short of a Revelations-like resurrection, Loyola's stats might as well be a pile of bones in a coffin somewhere.
          *Would have guessed SIU's extended run a few years ago would have put them in a better spot.
          *Pretty solid evidence that the Iowa State Teachers College has an opinion of themselves that's not supported by reality. Ranked only 7 weeks in total? Seriously? STFU!
          *Guess MSU really is a "football school", because they certainly aren't a basketball school.
          *Go away Evansville. The NAIA would be a nice fit for your AD.
          *Fighting Sweater Vests of Omaha? See UNI comment above, but multiple by infiniti.
          *The VCU board would probably not like this link one bit.

I worked up a related thread when 3G re-upped his contract in early fall, that some might enjoy if not already seen:

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...versus-the-MVC
          Would be intetesting to see how many those weeks of the old Valley teams rankings were when they were members of the Valley; especially Tulsa and SLU. We know about Creighton.
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
            Would be intetesting to see how many those weeks of the old Valley teams rankings were when they were members of the Valley; especially Tulsa and SLU. We know about Creighton.
            Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

I got bored counting, but here is the media guide if you wanted to look.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              It was only odumtainable.
              Depends on if you're talking about being the 2nd best team or being ranked and a national power. They've only been ranked with Larry Bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
                Depends on if you're talking about being the 2nd best team or being ranked and a national power. They've only been ranked with Larry Bird.
                Very interesting website. I was very surprised that Maryland and Purdue have never been ranked 1. From the same website, new article:

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/research/wichita_st_ranked_higher_than_kansas.cfm#.UtFW-qa9LCQ

More weeks than I expected.

Somebody linkify that for me if it doesn't show up that way - I'm on mobile and don't know how.

Oh - And if someone were so inclined they could pull the pin on that, post it to Phog.net, and sit on the lid...

Comment

Fixed: http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mb...m#.UtFW-qa9LCQ
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The problem that I see with the list is that it doesn't take into account the years k who was ranked and we weren't.

Comment

My only caveat might be referring to WSU as Yoda, and Bradley as Luke Skywalker. Bradley has more total wins, fewer total losses, more NCAA Championship game appearances, more NIT Championship game appearances, and more NIT Championships. Bradley is the MVC program I would most like to see get back in touch with the force.
                      "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

I wish this had been available when, that team that is no longer in the valley and shall remain nameless, used to beat their chests and proclaim how great they were. Of course they would have said its only what you have done recently but really they achieve a high seed of 10 and only win one game at the dance in all of that time?

Comment

Working...
                        X