Gonna be unpopular, but Derail...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna be unpopular, but Derail...

When Marshall cleared his bench today, Derail didn't come off. I went and looked and he has only played 33 minutes all season. Outside of ESU (13) the most minutes he has played is 5. He averages 1.1 points a game in all games, but of all his 9 points, 6 came in those 13 minutes against ESU. 3 came against TSU, when he hit the only 3 he took. He has more TOs and fouls than points against D-1 competition, and just overall lack of anything.

Was he in the list that Cle rattled off at the end of the game of guys that were staying late to practice? Even Sky was there, and Sky is just a body. We all know HCGM is recruiting and offering another '14 scholie. Honestly, I think he is shopping the scholie of a current player, and it is looking (more to me at least) that DG is the fall guy.

I know this is going to catch some flak, esp right after a win, and in the middle of the season, but its something that bugs me. Participate in discussion if you want, ignore me if you don't like it. It has just been bugging me. Is there something I'm overlooking or missing?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Gotta be prepared, maybe there is an injury or scholastic issue. This year isn't the 1st that it seemed there was an over abundant amount of scholarships offered. Good kids & winners are passing through this program right now. In the coaching staff I trust. I'm not concerned about speculating on individuals at this time.
    Phi Alpha

Comment

This coaching staff never stops recruiting. It doesn't matter if all the 'ships are spoken for, they keep recruiting.

The fact that they are still recruiting for '14 indicates they are preparing for either a defection or the recognition that a previous recruit isn't looking like a contributor at the level the Shox are playing now.

Baseball gives us a look at how cutthroat college athletics has become. Baseball players on scholarship are counted second semester. Many (if not most) schools over recruit, evaluate players in fall, and then reduce the roster (by not renewing scholarships) for the spring semester.

You may not want to hear this, but if Marshall can sign a player that is obviously better than a current player, don't be surprised if that swap is made. I'm confident player development is taken into consideration. If a recruit is evaluated to be at about the same level as the progress of a current player (or even the potential progress of a current player), I doubt a swap is made.

If a player has been thoroughly evaluated and may never see significant minutes at WSU, it's better for WSU and that player to part ways. Let the player go somewhere else and get some court time. Let WSU look for a player who can see court time here.

If a player is going to be recruited over (a newer recruit gets minutes that would have gone to the previous recruit), let that player find another place where he can play instead of just practice.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

It does suck, but like Aargh said. No one wants to ride the bench, and the best players play. So, it is what it is.

The good thing is that a lot of programs are out there to snap up our ex players. Because at this point, our bench is better than most schools starters.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I agree with Aargh but will also say that I believe HCGM is also considering that he just might lose Baker to the pros this spring. He's certainly making that pitch to anyone who will listen to him and we all know there has been some interest by NBA scouts. I like the fact the coaching staff continues to recruit and look at all options and I think it speaks to the success of the program that the talent level is increasing at Wichita State to the point that current bench players may leave (hello Jake White) to get more playing time elsewhere while the staff finds replacement players with even more talent.

And I see that as an increasing "problem" for this program with continued success. I mean, when 3G was recruiting Derail, he had yet to have much success in March with the Shockers if I'm not mistaken. Look at the level of players who have committed for 2014. What portends for 2015 and beyond?

Comment

I agree with @shock:. I think Green is the odd man out when the music stops.

Comment

Reading this thread I am reminded of a conversation I had with a buddy in Ranger School. He played football at Florida State as a linebacker in the late 80's. He said the level of competition was so intense that the slightest slip up and you lost your spot. He worked into the rotation for his sophomore and junior years but tweaked his knee late in his junior year and could never get back to his previous level. He didn't start a single game his senior year. Sucks but that is the level of intensity at an apex program. If we want to be an apex program this type of thing will occur be it from injuries or a lack of talent development. Study hard, hit the gym, practice on your own time, occasionally chase skirt. Essentially, MTXE!

Go Shocks!
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Are we over one on scholarships right now for next season? And we've got a couple of offers out currently so we could be two over possibly?

Comment

No, we are full right now. We do have offers out, that would put us over.

Comment

No, we are not over on scholarships at the moment. However, we are full going into next year and it looks like at least one offer, possibly more, have been given. That is not to say that more than one new player may be added as the offers could be conditional and as soon as one player commits, other offers go away.

We all know that players choose to leave quite often. I talked to Jake White quite a lot after he chose to leave and he expressed to me how much he appreciated
                    the staff for helping him find a place to transfer to. He simply felt that he could make more of a difference and be more of a go to guy at another school. The staff knew about that decision well before the season ended and that is why they recruited Darius Carter (and others) during the later part of last season.

Comment

Marshall is one of the most honest and fair coaches out there. I've never thought he played favorites that didn't have skills to back up a favoritism. We play a system that encourages touches on the ball by everyone on the floor, with anyone able to shoot the ball if they feel open. It's not like that at every school, and a lot of teams scheme to let one player shoot more than others, that's not WSU. If you're not playing for Marshall off the bench for at least 6 minutes a game, you're not producing, you have an attitude issue, you broke a team rule, you're a project, or you just don't have what it takes to play for WSU. Note walk-ons like JR and Bush don't count in that situation, only scholarship players.

I thought Derail would contribute more this year, and I'm left wondering what happened. If he ends up at another school next year, I won't be the least bit surprised. If he is on the roster next year, I won't be surprised either.

And from what I hear with other team members leaving throughout Marshall's tenure, the staff have been very helpful in finding placement schools for these guys after they decide to part ways.

This isn't an endorsement for Derail leaving the program, it's just that if one player were to leave, it seems obvious it's Derail based on MPG.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I hate talking about Derail this way.

The general discussion is fine with me, but leave Derail's name out of it. I just don't like it. Call me Pollyanna.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post

The general discussion is fine with me, but leave Derail's name out of it. I just don't like it. Call me Pollyanna.
                          Sound words from a wise sage.

That is all.
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post

I agree.....uh.....Pollyanna?

Comment

I think we will know a little more with Valley play starting. With 2 games a week, Marshall will need to get as much as he can out of his bench. IMO, it seems that Marshall against the tough opponents (especially in non-conference) he goes with the people he trusts.

Comment

Working...
                              X