Cleanthony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanthony

First, I hate the search feature of this site -- I can never find anything in a timely manner. Therefore, I start this new thread.

Someone yesterday or today mentioned Cleanthony needing to go to the rim more and shoot fewer threes. I do not disagree,but though I'd like to compare this season's stats with last season's, and then also with the post-season stats last year that grabbed everybody's attention:
    This Yr Last Yr Post-Season

FG% 43.2 45.5 43.2
    3-Pt % 28.8 31.7 33.3
    FT % 78.5 79.1 77.2
    Reb 6.0 5.4 6.5
    Points 14.2 13.9 12.0

Min 27.0 25.0 25.8

Increasing his 3-pt percentage to the post-season rate would add 2 three-pointers to his total, 6 points bring his ppg to 14.8.

Soesn't look like it could be much more consistent. It is going to be tough for any Shocker to average more than 15 or so a game because of the multitude of Shockers than can and will score a bunch from time to time and several on any given night. 3G's system is not designed for a one- or two-star statistic board.

Cle is shooting 53% from inside the arc. He is more than capble of raising that to near 60 and raising the 28% to 35%.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

He's got a very good all-around game. Inside/outside. The "talk" of his coming on the scene from last season has definitly played with his psyche so far this year. I feel like he will get past that shortly come conference play and be huge once again in March. As fans...we should let him find his groove again and keep the faith.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Cle' can't get to the rim if the opponent doesn't respect his ability to shoot the 3. I don't want to take the green light away from him but he shouldn't be shooting the 3 as often as Baker.

Comment

I don't mind him shooting 3's. If he can catch and shoot, I say shoot it. It's when he catches and pauses that disturbs his rhythm. When he catches on the perimeter, make some room for him to get to the paint. There aren't many 4's in the country that could consistently stop him. His FG % from inside the arc is so good. I wish that advantage could be exploited more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
          Cle' can't get to the rim if the opponent doesn't respect his ability to shoot the 3. I don't want to take the green light away from him but he shouldn't be shooting the 3 as often as Baker.
          And right now, that seems to me to be the key thing that CLE needs to work on. Taking it to the rim more will likely get his rhythm in synch and help his outside shooting, not to mention his overall performance. He had one great fake on a 3pt attempt and drive to the bucket on Saturday. He had 2 or 3 more opportunities to make the same move and passed, settling for ill-advised 3 pt attempts.

He will figure it out and when he does, watch out!
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Those stats clearly show he's basically picked up where he left off last year, generally speaking. I think the fans (and Cle himself) had expectations that his stats would have improved significantly if not dramatically, and that he would be dominating games. That hasn't happened yet, but I agree with the others who have a feeling that he is just a ticking time bomb that hasn't gone off yet.

The general consensus is that he's currently not right in the head and forcing a lot of things--his shot selection is proof enough of that. He's put a lot of pressure on himself, and there's a lot of pressure on him from the outside as well. While I think the first or second team AA ship has sailed, he still has plenty of time to calm down, let the game come to him, and by the end of the season be the juggernaut he's more than capable of being. If that happens, being an HMAA and NBA draft pick is entirely possible.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
              I don't mind him shooting 3's. If he can catch and shoot, I say shoot it. It's when he catches and pauses that disturbs his rhythm. When he catches on the perimeter, make some room for him to get to the paint. There aren't many 4's in the country that could consistently stop him. His FG % from inside the arc is so good. I wish that advantage could be exploited more.
              I said in another thread that he needs to attack the rim more, and this is exactly how I feel about it. Well said.

Its not that he is taking the 3ball, its when he is taking some of them. You can get a guarded 3pt shot at any time in the shot clock, and he seems to take a few of them before there has been 2 passes. Those aren't good shots. He is more than capable of making them, and when one goes, it is generally followed by more. But when he catches and shoots in rhythm....he is pretty good. He also is pretty good at just deciding he is going to the rim for a layup and come hell or high water, that is what is going to happen. All I'm asking for is upon the 2nd or 3rd heat check that misses, he take it to the rack a time or two. He is way too dangerous putting it on the floor against most defenders he will see. Good player and I have no doubt he figures it out and goes off in the near future. It will be fun to watch when he finds his groove.
              -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

I don't mind the 3s so much. It's the shot selection overall that sometimes makes it appear that newspaper clippings have gone to his head and he's just trying to get "his." The shot he took toward the end of the game Saturday was horrific. I would expect that out of a freshman, possibly, but not a senior team leader. Dude! Run the clock! That was just plain dumb and looked really selfish.

Comment

Cleanthony is too good to keep playing like this.

I'm not worried.
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    Those stats clearly show he's basically picked up where he left off last year, generally speaking. I think the fans (and Cle himself) had expectations that his stats would have improved significantly if not dramatically, and that he would be dominating games. That hasn't happened yet, but I agree with the others who have a feeling that he is just a ticking time bomb that hasn't gone off yet.

The general consensus is that he's currently not right in the head and forcing a lot of things--his shot selection is proof enough of that. He's put a lot of pressure on himself, and there's a lot of pressure on him from the outside as well. While I think the first or second team AA ship has sailed, he still has plenty of time to calm down, let the game come to him, and by the end of the season be the juggernaut he's more than capable of being. If that happens, being an HMAA and NBA draft pick is entirely possible.
                    I admit that my own expectations have been driven by the media hype and the "homerism" of fandom so I've come down off the ceiling and paid attention those stats as well. I think many of us here were probably hoping for bigger numbers by now, especially given some of the talent we've faced thus far in the season. But I also think that Cle is pressing a bit right now. Perfect examples of that happened in the waning moments of Saturday's game at IBA when he tried taking the rock to the basket on two separate occasions with less than two minutes to go in the game. He made two poor decisions and he paid for it by his immediate benching. I'm certain 3G got his attention. One can't help but think that Cle got a little caught up in the moment and wanted to make a couple of "statements" for a national audience to prove that Ron Baker is not necessarily the "best player" on this team.

Comment

and he's not even playing horrible for us....

Who's the first person to congratulate a person after an and-1...Cleanthony

Who's the first person off the bench greeting the team after a media time out.....Cleanthony

He may not be scoring as well as last year yet, but he's doing all the right things.

There are a multitude of freshman in the NCAA that could learn TONS about leadership and how to be a good team mate from Cle.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I don't think there very many if any players that can guard Cle one on one. That being said I wonder if there are any plays where the shot clock is winding down and the play is give it to Cle and everyone clear out and let him take his man to the rim? I would much rather see that than a desperation shot at the end.

Comment

Wichita State’s Early ready for breakthrough

http://www.kansas.com/2013/12/16/318...tm_source=t.co
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Is there something wrong with Cle's right forearm? I noticed him rubbing and flexing it several times during the game.

Comment

He needs to catch it on the low block. While Carl Hall was out last year he lead the country in scoring per low block attempt. Hardly see him do that last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X