Derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derail

In the near term games, I hope Derail gets some minutes.

He has played in seven games this season and averaged just under five minutes per game. He is 0-4 from two and 3-6 from three. He has four personal fouls, but only one turnover.

Early on I thought the game was a little fast for him.

I have noticed his behavior on the bench. He claps, cheers and seems to have a great attitude.

I kinda think we are gonna need him in conference play.

He has nice size
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Yeah I'd like to see him get in there and gain some experience. We are gonna need another body at some point in the season. Plus it would be awesome to see him explode in March like Ron and Fred did last year. Wouldn't that be the bomb!!! You would think he has that type of "want to".
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

DG is really struggling to "get it" defensively, which is the main reason he won't see much meaningful playing time.

The young man has a great attitude and a boatload of upside. It sure would be nice to see him make a move forward.

Comment

Hopefully we have some 20+ point wins coming up to get more experience for the bench and some rest for the starters. Need them all energized come March/April.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          DG is really struggling to "get it" defensively, which is the main reason he won't see much meaningful playing time.

The young man has a great attitude and a boatload of upside. It sure would be nice to see him make a move forward.
          I know the coach said a few weeks ago that DG is a tweener. Feet to slow to defend the 3. Not used to playing the 4. In addition to yoga, maybe we need a ballet instructor or someone who can get those feet in game shape... Too good of a shooter to sit on the bench.
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

He always seems tentative to me when he is on the floor. Not much aggression. In other words, a bit whimpy. I know he can shoot so here's hoping he gets it pretty soon because I would really like to see him get a regular rotation.

Comment

Surely he can be an adequate zone defender when coach wants to change up defenses periodically and then be a zone buster on offense.

Comment

DG is not ready to play important minutes yet.

Comment

DG would have thrived in Sean Ogirri's role - not have to play D, just camp out and launch threes. Unfortunately for him, our program has evolved and you have to have full rounded game to see the floor.

Comment

Does GM not see a player's lack of interest in defense and intensity while recruiting said individual? By the time the light bulb turns on, he'll only be useful for one or two years, why bring him in? Rhetorical questions, I know you recruit on potential as well, not just what you can presently observe.

Comment

He's ten games into his college career. Coaches must have seen something in him or they wouldn't have given him a scholarship. Besides, this is the coaching staff that turned J.T. Durley into a serviceable defender.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                        Does GM not see a player's lack of interest in defense and intensity while recruiting said individual? By the time the light bulb turns on, he'll only be useful for one or two years, why bring him in? Rhetorical questions, I know you recruit on potential as well, not just what you can presently observe.
                        Lack of interest isn't fair. He's 6'7 and 205 lbs. He has played on the perimeter most of his career and has thought of himself as a guard. He doesn't have the athleticism to chase Div. 1 guards nor the toughness to defend and rebound with bigger Power Forwards. Two or three years ago when he was recruited, he was good enough to contribute. Not anymore. Give him an opportunity to mature and grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                          From everything I have read on high school and juco players there is little to no emphasis on defense being taught. So it seems to me that you recruit on his offensive skills and hope you can teach him to "want" to play defense.

Comment

Not sure it's a "want" but rather a foot speed thing. He needs to spend extra time with Kerry working on stength and speed. When I saw him play in HS, he clearly had the size and talent advantage over the opponent, but didn't know how to use it down low. If you have a 4 inch advantage and are 3 feet from the basket, you don't shoot a fade away jumper. The good think is, he has 3+ full seasons left to figure it out.

Comment

The "want" I was referring to was want it bad enough to work at it so you can guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X