Bad fans! Bad fans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad fans! Bad fans!

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere -- if so, I missed it -- but what's up with this item from Eamonn Brennan?

"Hey, Wichita State fans: If you are not disabled, do not park in the disabled spots on game days. Not cool, bros and broettes. Not cool at all. This has been your College Basketball Nation public service announcement. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Friday."

Are some of our fat cats getting lazy when they show up and trying to save themselves a walk? Is the weather too tough out there? What's the story?

WICHITA, Kan. -- In an effort to better serve disabled patrons and alleviate possible misuse of designated disability parking areas on men's basketball game days, Wichita State Athletics will now request that patrons present their state-issued accessible parking card and a photo I.D. to park, Director of Athletics Eric Sexton announced today.

Comment

The non-disabled folks who hogged those spots should be ashamed.

Comment

My relative who was wheelchair bound always said that he'd gladly trade places with able-bodied people. He would have been more than happy to walk in their place if they'd take on his physical disabilities.
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
          The non-disabled folks who hogged those spots should be ashamed.
          That, of course, would require them to be capable of shame.

Comment

From what it sounds like they believe some non-handicapped folks are borrowing the placards of handicapped folks in order to use those parking cards.

If that is, in fact, what's been happening then shame on both the folks borrowing their cards and those lending their cards. However, I can't say that I am shocked that something like this is happening. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Then again I consider the half-mile or so walk across campus is part of my pre-game ritual to get myself in the proper frame of mind.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 9, 2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

There's nothing good here, but don't act like it doesn't go on EVERYWHERE parking is tight. I'm not sure why Brennan is picking on us. At least we're doing something about it.

I don't want ANYONE disabled being denied a good spot, but the fact is I can get one of those placards. And I shouldn't be parking there. I'm hardly alone.

Comment

Wow, makes me sick if that is really happening. I personally know a regular poster on here who actually has a major need for one of those spots but has to get to the games an hour early or they get grabbed up by everyone else...so instead he parks a long way from the entrance and provides a major inconvenience for him and his wife. I really hope I don't run into an able bodied individual parking in the handicap spots...

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                  I really hope I don't run into an able bodied individual parking in the handicap spots...
                  My retired mother has one, and a legitimate need for such.

When I see someone parking in a HC stall that lacks a permit, and they are clearly not handicapped, I'll almost always say something if they are around. No matter how congenial my tone is, they respond like total arseholes almost every time. Guess that's how it goes when you do something that is indefensible and get called out for it by a total stranger. Keep telling myself I'll apply for the program with either the City or County that allows private citizens to photograph illegal HC parking, with the picture then used as legal justification for an automatic ticket.

Comment

A good half mile trek from the baseball stadium in February made me cheer angry. Or maybe it was just Cohen Thompson Smithson teams.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere -- if so, I missed it -- but what's up with this item from Eamonn Brennan?
                      What is Eamonn Brennan doing commenting on this?

Comment

Not sure if this is what's going on here, but my 10 year old nephew is severely retarded, wheelchair bound, can't speak or use the bathroom. As such, my able-bodied sister and brother-in-law have a wheelchair emblem on the minivan license plate. They used to park in the handicapped areas ONLY when my nephew was with them, however when they would park in open parking people would yell obscenities at them for taking non-handicapped parking. They switched it up and get yelled at for not being handicapped.

For anyone that is against able-bodied people parking in handicapped spots, while deplorable, please do not feel it is your duty to publicly shame them.

Thanks!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          Not sure if this is what's going on here, but my 10 year old nephew is severely retarded, wheelchair bound, can't speak or use the bathroom. As such, my able-bodied sister and brother-in-law have a wheelchair emblem on the minivan license plate. They used to park in the handicapped areas ONLY when my nephew was with them, however when they would park in open parking people would yell obscenities at them for taking non-handicapped parking. They switched it up and get yelled at for not being handicapped.

For anyone that is against able-bodied people parking in handicapped spots, while deplorable, please do not feel it is your duty to publicly shame them.

Thanks!
                          I'm not apologizing for confronting observably able-bodied, younger, solo drivers hopping out from behind the wheels of cars without HC credentials.

It's not rocket science to decipher from the situation you just explained, and what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
                            I'm not apologizing for confronting observably able-bodied, younger, solo drivers hopping out from behind the wheels of cars without HC credentials.

It's not rocket science to decipher from the situation you just explained, and what I have seen.
                            Not everyone gets it, so I just wanted to put that out there. It was a "new" experience at a Wichita area Wal-Mart when I got out of my sisters mini-van in the closest non-handicapped location.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

You can't fix stupid. But at wall mart you really do increase your chances of running into some special people,

Comment

Working...
                              X