What happened to the press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the press?

As I reflected on last night's debacle, I realized that I couldn't remember seeing us apply the press until the very end.

Did I just completely miss it?

I know you have to make baskets to set up the press, but I can't even remember it being applied on made shots.

I have credited the fact we press through much of the game for the team's show of effort (since the press requires it).

I think we have stopped pressing because we just don't have enough capable players of keeping it up. When you have a short bench with players that really can't press, it makes it very hard to do so.

Comment

Last night, there was no press until we were forced to because...
      1) A short bench and
      2) Evansville's guards were quick enough the beat the press and hurt us more than the press might have gained (ie. playing man-to-man against a inferior team was the strategy.)

Only my perspective...
      Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
        1) A short bench and
        2) Evansville's guards were quick enough the beat the press and hurt us more than the press might have gained (ie. playing man-to-man against a inferior team was the strategy.)

Only my perspective...
        I don't buy the first reason. We've pressed since Mantas went down. And since it was apparent Matt was gonig to play, even if in limited minutes, that would have allowed us to do some pressing when he was on the bench.

But I do agree with your 2nd point. Although I would like them to have tried it a few times when UE started making their run. We needed to get them out of their flow and kill the momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          Originally posted by Smooth007
          1) A short bench and

Only my perspective...
          I don't buy the first reason. We've pressed since Mantas went down. And since it was apparent Matt was gonig to play, even if in limited minutes, that would have allowed us to do some pressing when he was on the bench.

But I do agree with your 2nd point. Although I would like them to have tried it a few times when UE started making their run. We needed to get them out of their flow and kill the momentum.
          I stand by #1 for a press that would cause turnover's frequently. However, a token press that would slow down and disrupt Evansville may have been effective IMHO.

Comment

Royal, you ask a fair question. My opinion is that what we were doing was working quite well in the first half and the coaches felt there was no need to change things.

Then as things went south in the segundo tiempo our foul trouble kind of prevented our ability to press and frankly, our defense in the half court was so poor that it would have been hard to imagine that our pressure defense was going to be any better.

At least that's what I was thinking.

Comment

Re: What happened to the press?

As I reflected on last night's debacle, I realized that I couldn't remember seeing us apply the press until the very end.

Did I just completely miss it?

I know you have to make baskets to set up the press, but I can't even remember it being applied on made shots.

I have credited the fact we press through much of the game for the team's show of effort (since the press requires it).
              IMO, I think you saw the team (players and coaches) exhausted by their lack of success this year. They accepted their fate that they were going to be defeated, and that's what happened.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I have no doubt there were good reasons for not pressing last night. But I want to submit the lack of effort in the 2nd half as exhibit A as to why, even if conventional wisdom says the situation didn't call for it, that this team needs to press.

Like I mentioned before, the press brings with it increased effort which might have translated to tougher half-court defense.

Comment

I totally agree with that theory Royal. As much as it goes against our depth, I think these guys thrive on the press. We need to be pressing to be successful.

Comment

Pressing after the 2nd half started, when we knew they would try to make a run, would have kept them off-balance and not let them get into an offense flow.

The coaching staff and whole team needs to read:

The Art of War by Sun Tzu (The foremost strategist that ever lived)

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I have no doubt there were good reasons for not pressing last night. But I want to submit the lack of effort in the 2nd half as exhibit A as to why, even if conventional wisdom says the situation didn't call for it, that this team needs to press.

Like I mentioned before, the press brings with it increased effort which might have translated to tougher half-court defense.
                      That is a very good point.

Comment

Working...
                      X