Xavier McDaniel couldn't be stopped -- all the way to the Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavier McDaniel couldn't be stopped -- all the way to the Hall of Fame

In the opening minutes of the 1985 Tulsa-Wichita State game at Levitt Arena, Xavier McDaniel grabs a rebound with one hand and slams the ball through the hoop.

Vintage McDaniel. A rebound. A dunk. The crowd goes nuts and the camera finds a young fan in a Hawaiian shirt pumping his fist. McDaniel produced an X-load of those memories during his career from 1981-85.

A former Tulsa player sent Tulsa center Brian Rahilly, now coach at Cascia Hall Prepatory School in Tulsa, a link to a video of that game. He watches occasionally, in part because he likes to give Tracy Moore, his assistant coach, a hard time. Moore played the role of unfortunate spectator under the basket when McDaniel dunked.

"Xavier just smashes it and it's right over Tracy," Rahilly said. "I kind of play it for Tracy when we're having a beer."
    Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/11/23/313...e-stopped.html
    Last edited by 1979Shocker; November 23, 2013, 06:03 PM.

I was a student photographer during that era at Wichita State. I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the X-man as a staffer for the Sunflower with all access the the sidelines of Shocker football AND basketball. X was a pretty humble guy despite his prowess on the court.

Comment

The crowd goes nuts and the camera finds a young fan in a Hawaiian shirt pumping his fist.
      It is rumored he still wears the same Hawaiian shirt to every game to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
        It is rumored he still wears the same Hawaiian shirt to every game to this day.
        I bet he sneaks popcorn into the game in his pockets, too.
        Last edited by shock; November 23, 2013, 09:37 PM.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I have an autographed pic of him in my office. He is dunking over James Worthy while Byron Scott and Kareem look on helplessly.

Comment

Heip me out. There was a game against Tulsa in which he had an a badley injured leg and no doubt should not have been even playing. Even though he was dragging himself up and down the court, he was still damn near unstopable. Believe we lost the game.

Comment

Just rode the elevator up with X at the hotel. Always amazed at how the extremely friendly guy with the wonderful smile could be that same guy who could look so intimidating on the court. Same as Antoine. They both looked totally mean on the court, but are so friendly in public.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                Heip me out. There was a game against Tulsa in which he had an a badley injured leg and no doubt should not have been even playing. Even though he was dragging himself up and down the court, he was still damn near unstopable. Believe we lost the game.
                I believe there was a game against Tulsa where AC was playing injured. I can't recall one where X played injured against Tulsa. That's been a while so I might have forgotten it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                  I believe there was a game against Tulsa where AC was playing injured. I can't recall one where X played injured against Tulsa. That's been a while so I might have forgotten it.
                  You are absolutely right, 79, my mistake. It was AC.

Comment

@jeff_rosen88: #Shockers legend X-Man talks up alma mater during Hall of Fame induction. #Sonics http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/24...-mcdaniel.html
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        What a player. Electrifying still.

Comment

The slam is around :30 of this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJcbdCiB74

Comment

15 historical men's college basketball players who'd fit well in today's game — and why - NCAA.COM

ANDY WITTRY
                            APRIL 16, 2020

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ll-todays-game

"Have you ever watched, read or heard about a historical college basketball great and wondered how their game and skill set would've translated to today's game? I went through the official NCAA men's basketball record book and identified players from the last 40 years who would've fit perfectly in today's "positionless" game — and why. The common thread among most of these players is that they were great 3-point shooters, often in an era where the 3-point line was relatively new to the game or they played a position that wasn't traditionally expected to provide consistent 3-point shooting.

Here are some men's basketball players who would've fit perfectly in today's game....

Xavier McDaniel, Wichita State - Years active: 1981-85
                            As a senior at Wichita State, McDaniel averaged 27.2 points and 14.8 rebounds per game, plus 2.2 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.0 block. He did all that at 6-7, so while, like Barkley, he wasn't a 3-point shooter, he was a phenomenal rebounder and an efficient interior scorer, which would have a value in small-ball lineups today."

Comment

He had an ability to knock down shots in that range 8-15 feet that is just missing from the game at the college level. And that's not just facing the basket shot, and was pretty good at the turnaround jumper. (do today's high school/college players even know what that is?) Everyone wants to step back. Hit a 3 ball. Get fouled. Other times they post up, head fake, to get to the rim. One of the big differences between then and now is "he took the open shot" a lot of time. That led to a high scoring average. He was strong and intimidating, and more than anything else SPRINGY-BOUNCY. He understood something that is so valuable in the game. Only 30-50% of attempted shots are going in on the first attempt. That leaves a lot of loose balls and he was always looking for the ball. Will always be my favorite Shocker player.

Comment

Working...
                              X