X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast Mode - Fred VanVleet

Fred is getting noticed...

Myron Medcalf ‏@MedcalfByESPN 9h
    Wichita State's Fred VanVleet finished with 18 points, 8 assists in Shockers' 79-62 win over William & Mary Thursday night. #BeastModeAlert

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 7h
    Fred VanVleet ---- 18 points, 8 assists, 2 turnovers in Wichita State's win over William & Mary. Rock solid PG.

David Harten ‏@David_Harten 6h
    So far, Fred VanVleet has stepped into Malcolm Armstead's old PG spot nicely. Averaging 14.5/5.5 rebs/4.5 assists/4 steal per.
    Last edited by jocoshock; November 15, 2013, 07:17 AM.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

So far this season, FVV is the only player I've been completely happy with. He always comes to play. FVV is just a winner, plain and simple.
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Not to mention 4 rebounds a game..

Comment

Baker and Early got most of the pre-season love. FVV will get the post season love. Book it.
        “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
        -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
          Baker and Early got most of the pre-season love. FVV will get the post season love. Book it.
          FVV gets pre-season, season and post-season love from me and most everyone else.

Book it.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
            FVV gets pre-season, season and post-season love from me and most everyone else.

Book it.
            By "love" I mean national recognition/attention. Cle is an AA Honorable Mention and the Pre-Season Valley POY. Both Ron and Cle are on the Pre-Season All Valley team and there has been talk of the NBA. The national discussion has mostly surrounded Cle and Ron, with some mention made of FVV. I guess I should be more specific, so I will say FVV will be the Valley POY and the MVP of the Valley Tournament.

Book it.
            “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
            -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
              So far this season, FVV is the only player I've been completely happy with. He always comes to play. FVV is just a winner, plain and simple.
              Exactly, now if the other guys can start pulling their weight, look out. FVV is my favorite player. He's well spoken, exhibits that professional demeanor and I've never seen him awe-struck or intimidated. Particularly impressive for a youngster who is just 2 months into his Sophomore year. And how can you NOT like a guy with that name?

Comment

Spread the floor and turn FVV lose with the rock. Great results will follow. The Zags overlooked him in their Dance scouting report. I still love thinking of the 25' swoosh with less than a tick remaining shot clock buzzer. That was huge and a shot heard around the basketball world but that was not the only shot he made down the stretch in that game. Stay tuned. He is only a Soph.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post

Book it.

Book it.

Book it.
                  Lots of booking going on around here -- hope the police aren't watching.

I'd be surprised if Fred VV is the Valley Player of the Year, simply because others -- and not just fellow Shockers -- have higher profiles coming in. But he could easily get the award following the Valley tournament, where attention is focused on just those games. And if he plays like this, he'll get plenty of national attention as well. But what's best of all is that he doesn't care -- he just wants to win, and to get back to where the Shocks were last year, only not having to stop after the first game this time.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                    Lots of booking going on around here -- hope the police aren't watching.

I'd be surprised if Fred VV is the Valley Player of the Year, simply because others -- and not just fellow Shockers -- have higher profiles coming in. But he could easily get the award following the Valley tournament, where attention is focused on just those games. And if he plays like this, he'll get plenty of national attention as well. But what's best of all is that he doesn't care -- he just wants to win, and to get back to where the Shocks were last year, only not having to stop after the first game this time.
                    FVV just needs to keep doing what he's doing and wins will stack up and awards will follow.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

I know that my wife was very impressed with how FVV played against WKU. She was upset he wasn't the player of the game.

Fred is going to be one of, if not, the best pg WSU has ever had wear the uniform. And we all get to enjoy it.

Comment

so far, fred has been the beneficiary of ther other teams keying in on Cle and Ron. As the season progresses, expect more pressure on Fred, which will loose up the defense a bit on other guys. We take what other teams give us and 3 games in, Fred has capitalized. This is not meant to say he can't or won't continue to put up numbers, but eventually, they will start applying more pressure on Fred and we'll have to see how that unfolds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          so far, fred has been the beneficiary of ther other teams keying in on Cle and Ron. As the season progresses, expect more pressure on Fred, which will loose up the defense a bit on other guys. We take what other teams give us and 3 games in, Fred has capitalized. This is not meant to say he can't or won't continue to put up numbers, but eventually, they will start applying more pressure on Fred and we'll have to see how that unfolds.
                          I think that will affect scoring, but that is about it. However, he had a good assist/turnover ratio last year if I remember right. I expect he will quite possibly lead the Valley in that category which is one of the most important for a PG IMHO.

I think Fred averages 10pts, 4 Rebs, 6 assist, 1.5 turnovers (or something in that ballpark) this year. And I will take that from a soph PG all day! He will still have some games that he is the leading scorer because of his ability to breakdown a defense on his own. Not to mention his IQ is so flipping high. He will know when he needs to take charge of the scoring to get the flow going and when to look for others.
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Fred will do whatever Fred needs to do to make Fred's team better. That's what makes Fred Fred and all of us Fred fans.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                              I know that my wife was very impressed with how FVV played against WKU. She was upset he wasn't the player of the game.
                              Be extremely careful when you allow women to vote for Player of the Game. They will look at what they wear, how cute they are, what type of car they drive, things like that.

What do you think? Are you a Strong Man or a Baby Boy? Uhoh, my wife is coming. See you later.

Comment

Working...
                              X