Louisville officially leaving the AAC after this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisville officially leaving the AAC after this season

Would Wichita State be next in line to receive an invite? I still think the AAC would be a better choice than the MVC. Your thoughts? http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...o-acc/3518053/

I am not sure it is worth the change. In a few years, the American conference could be nothing more than the old Conference USA. That still might be worth a change, but the additional conference revenue would need to exceed the additional travel expenses. It will be interesting to see how long and how many of the former Big East members stay in the American.

I think WSU would have to seriously consider bringing back football to enter this conference.

Comment

Doubtful. The commissioner of the AAC is on record that the conference will not add a basketball only school to their conference. I guess things could change.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

In terms of would I prefer this over the MVC? Hell yes. I prefer a lot of things over the MVC.

Comment

By my count, Navy will be 12th school as a football-only member, leaving a weird 11 for other sports. The door could be open...maybe only slightly cracked, but it could be there. Back-to-back Final Four runs with a national championship wouldn't hurt our cause. I know that football guides these things, so you never know how much it would help...but it wouldn't hurt.
          78-65

Comment

I would do some very embarrassing things to get into the AAC. We fit very well in their geographic footprint so I'm not sure travel expenses would increase as much as some of our other potential options (MWC, A-10). Even without Louisville, it has UConn, Cincy, and Memphis as its national brands--and don't forget Temple. Anyone who wants to argue that Bradley, UNI, ISUb, and SIU is a better club than that is out of their freaking mind.

The AAC loses Louisville and Rutgers after this year, bringing basketball to 8 teams. I believe Tulsa is joining in 2014 and Navy as football only in 2015, leaving only 9 basketball teams. I might be missing another addition in there. Even with them going on record as saying they don't want a basketball only, if we go deep in the Dance again this year I'm not sure they wouldn't at least take a look. The geography and the academic profiles make sense.

Edit: Obviously I am missing an addition. I know WuShock16 is right and they will have 11 basketball schools.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Tulane and East Carolina join when Tulsa does, bumping basketball up to 11 schools. I see a clear East/West separation:

East: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, South Florida, Temple
              West: Houston, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa...(one more west school needed, hmmmm...)

As much as we hate the sCUmmies, I suppose you could say that them going to the Big East was a good fit for them, being Jesuit (yes, I know Butler wasn't, but they are still a private school). When I look at this list of schools, I see a lot of metropolitan schools. This seems like a perfect fit for us.
              78-65

Comment

String a few more consecutive invites to the NCAA tournament and get to the Sweet 16 (or higher) a few more times, and I'd bet one or more attractive conferences might just come a calling.

And even though I am no way even imaging another Final Four run in the immediate future, another one would, in a reasonable world, could even lead to several invitations.

Comment

From csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=660590. They keep starting new threads on this subject.

RE: There was some speculation by fans that VCU would be a good hoops only add
                  I'd love either VCU or WSU to offset Navy football...would really solidify the AAC as a top hoops conference.

That said the AAC seems to still have this dream of adding Army football and one more all-sport member.

I don't know if VCU would want to leave the A-10...we could get WSU right now...easy drive for Tulsa, SMU, Memphis...nice facility.
                  Add VCU and WSU now...welcome them with open arms.

the AAC will never be up there with the power 5 in terms of football, but adding these 2 would give the league 6 or 7 legitimate b-ball schools, with a few other AAC schools up and coming.

adding these 2 schools would give the league 13 all sports members and 12 football only. now I know you're all saying, we can't have an uneven 13...that's when I say add BYU as an all sports except football as the 14th member, with a deal to play 4 or 5 AAC teams a year (a la ND with the ACC).
                  Think VCU or Wichita would be a good add to the AAC to offset Navy football. Also think the Big East would be stupid to block VCU. Since the private catholic universities control the decisions in the Big East, not sure if VCU fits their "profile."
                  (Yesterday 08:50 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:
                  (Yesterday 07:10 PM)spreadandshred Wrote: to offset Navy in basketball. Has that been batted around by the conference executives since then or is mostly fan talk? I'm all for it fyi.
                  why? Because they beat Virginia??? LOL big whoop. I know they are ranked but so what.
                  ... Really? I don't think anyone is saying add this team b/c they beat Virginia. They are saying add VCU and WSU b/c they have had more success over the past 4 years than 95% of the AAC, including Cincy and Memphis. Both of these teams would come in and be in the top half of the standings of this conerence 9 out of 10 years.
                  "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

If Cincy and Memphis stand pat in the AAC, then I want in! Tulsa is a HUGE bonus.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Honestly, I want to just freaking pound the Valley for about 10 years to pay them back for all the **** we put up with in the 90s
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I would not want to play in the AAC to be completely honest. Or a "bcs" or "power six" conference. I like the valley. I like being considered the underdog just because we do not play in a bcs conference. I like not being a stuck up snob like some KU fans or fans of teams that play in bcs conferences and think they are automatically better and entitled to be better simply because of that.
                        #ShockerNation #GoShox #GoShockers Follow me on twitter @ColinMatthew21

Comment

I want to get the hell out of the MVC. Yesterday.

Comment

I think it would be a VERY good fit for Wichita St. to join the AAC!!!
                            We're talking about way more visibility due to bigger populations. Dallas area. Houston area. Florida. Philly. Cincy. Jersey
                            The Valley: Carbondale, Springfield, Normal, Terra Haute, Des Moise, Cedar Falls, Peoria, Evansville, YUCK!!!
                            Ups Wichita St.'s prestige and lure in my opinion!!!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerbasketball21 View Post
                              I would not want to play in the AAC to be completely honest. Or a "bcs" or "power six" conference. I like the valley. I like being considered the underdog just because we do not play in a bcs conference. I like not being a stuck up snob like some KU fans or fans of teams that play in bcs conferences and think they are automatically better and entitled to be better simply because of that.
                              The AAC won't be good enough in football to be considered a BCS conference by any stretch of the imagination. It would be more like being in the MWC or A10 than being in the B12, ACC, SEC, etc.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                              X