Observations from Behind the Shocker Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Behind the Shocker Bench

Hey there to all. I hope you've recovered from our Midnight shenanigans by now and are ready for Thursday and Saturday! My dad and I got the awesome chance to sit first row directly behind the Shocker bench at the midnight game. By the way, I certainly wouldn't want to sit there for a better viewing angle of the game, but I came out with a new experience, and from that experience I feel I learned a lot about this team. Here's what I'd share with you:

1) Coach Marshall is a man on fire! It was almost as fun watching him up close as it was the game. That man will cuss, and he had plenty to say about our rebounding. But what I liked most about him, was he never got verbally upset with a player to that player, and he never mentioned our rebounding shortcomings by name. I take this to mean, that he sees these athletes as what they really are, STUDENT athletes. My fondest memory of 3G that night was when we had lost yet another defensive board, he looks back at the bench and yells "Our post can't f----- rebound! We used to be the best around!" A few minutes later one of our players gets a great defensive board, to which 3G exclaimed to the bench "FINALLY!" Also, let it be known, 3G popped his head out before the game and he was looking at the crowd to see where our energy levels were at, and he smiled!

2) While FVV is the general on the floor, Cleanthony Early is the vocal leader of this team from what I experienced. He was throwing out advice, and mentioning things he noticed about the other team to everyone else. Also Bush was telling people to scoot over, and where to sit. It was almost like he was maintaining the bench, keeping things tidy.

3) Ri'an Holland is a very nice guy! He walked by as I was right by the player tunnel and we made a little small talk as he was coming out to warm up.

4) I saw the players literally smile because of our energy we brought with us that night! We should all bring energy like that to CKA more often!
    "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Very cool. Thanks!
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

There was two reason for the energy level - the student section and being a midnight game (truly only those who really wanted to be there were there). Luckily there are not any more midnight games but the student section has set the bar high and hopefully this was only the start of greatness for them.

Comment

Good to hear Cle is the vocal leader. As a senior and our best player, we need him to take this team on his back.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

The game tipped at 1 am here... I recorded the game and was watching on my phone while working!! Super pumped to watch them play at Evansville in February!!

Comment

Working...
          X