No announcement yet.

Ria'n and Shaq will redshirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see Wessel as a SF. Wiggins will get minutes at the SG and SF.
    Livin the dream

Comment

One way I look a it is that with such a log jam of talent at 2 & 3, coach couldn't really just decide that some of those guys (Nick Wiggins, TKO Cotton, Evan Wessel and Ron baker) wouldn't get much time.

To me, it just means that keeping Evan and Nick on the bench was decided to be a bad move. I also wonder if everyone saw what happened to Toure (PG skills got him to the NBA even though he wasn't a PG here) and the light came on that getting solid minutes there is a really smart career move.

Comment

Don't know nuttin' about nuttin' but if Gal Mekel has the slowest release in the history of the NCAA, Ria'n might have the quickest. Unless that one three pointer was a fluke.

And one more mystery: Apostrophes are used to indicate that one or more letters have intentionally been left out (in the case of contractions). Just what letters in Ria'n are they holding back on us?
        Last edited by Kung Wu; November 9, 2013, 10:00 AM.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Don't know nuttin' about nuttin' but if Gal Mekel has the slowest realease in the history of the NCAA, Ria'n might have the quickest. Unless that one three pointer was a fluke.

And one more mystery: Apostrophes are used to indicate that one or more letters have intentionally been left out (in the case of contractions). Just what letters in Ria'n are they holding back on us?
          Ria-fastest shot release in history-n

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Don't know nuttin' about nuttin' but if Gal Mekel has the slowest release in the history of the NCAA, Ria'n might have the quickest. Unless that one three pointer was a fluke.

It's sort of like Toure', isn't it? It shows where the accent is placed.

Comment

For the record it's:

Reee-Ahhhn

Comment

I just want to bump this, as I am a little concerned with our depth a PG with Holland redshirting. As FVV is our only REAL PG, when he is down either short-term (refueling on the sideline) or potentially long-term (sitting with an injury), our on-court line-up is really funky with Baker or Cotton trying to be PG's.

Don't know that I agree with the RS decision on this guy. I may have less exposure to Holland than some of you, but what I saw of him during the OBU game was very impressive considering his age and level of competitive exposure.

Am I being irrational?

Comment

There is reason to be concerned but Baker is superior to Holland as a ball handler, so he'd still be 3rd, at least.

What we needed was D.J. and we would be fantastic. As it is, we need to adjust.

Comment

If Fred VV has to try to play 35 minutes a game and Baker 34, there's definitely reason to be concerned. Some one has to be able to contribute at SG or SF. As it was, Cotton had 27 minutes, so that's 96 from him and the guards, which means Cotton was playing a lot on their 6-4 and 6-5 guys while Wessel and Wiggins only got 13 minutes apiece, and Derail Green didn't play.

It's early enough that no one is going to wear down soon, but over time the Wessel / Wiggins combo needs to step up and play more minutes at SG / SF so Cotton can spend more time at SG. If he gets most of his minutes there, then Baker and FVV can cut back. About 25-30 per game would be okay for those two and for Cotton, which means TC will need to be able to play SG, at least on offense, most of the time he's in.

Comment

I think the coaches debated Rian's redshirt at great length. All in all, I agree with their decision that a redshirt is best for him and the program. We've gotten used to spreading the minutes around the past several years. However, it's not that unusual for players to play 30+ minutes a game. Happens all the time. I'm pretty sure Clevin averaged 30 minutes and he was certainly not as athletic as Fred and Ron. I would suspect Gregg will monitor minutes and give Fred and Ron the necessary rest. There will be games that will give him that opportunity.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

The redshirt is not cast in stone. If they see they need him they can pull the redshirt off at any time. However, in discussing Rian's redshirt didn't 3G say that at this point Rian would be the 4th PG on the depth chart. He just didn't want to waste a year. Obviously an injury to FVV or Ron Baker could change that thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
                          I just want to bump this, as I am a little concerned with our depth a PG with Holland redshirting. As FVV is our only REAL PG, when he is down either short-term (refueling on the sideline) or potentially long-term (sitting with an injury), our on-court line-up is really funky with Baker or Cotton trying to be PG's.

Don't know that I agree with the RS decision on this guy. I may have less exposure to Holland than some of you, but what I saw of him during the OBU game was very impressive considering his age and level of competitive exposure.

Am I being irrational?
                          Holland doesn't have any experience as a point guard. He's a shooting guard. So if he didn't redshirt, he would basically waste a whole year trying to learn the point guard position.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            Holland doesn't have any experience as a point guard. He's a shooting guard. So if he didn't redshirt, he would basically waste a whole year trying to learn the point guard position.
                            Now he gets the opportunity to learn w/o wasting any eligibility ala Baker.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

I have a huge concern over the minutes FVV is playing early (and Baker for that matter). Players are at greater risk for injury due to muscle stress and fatigue as the minutes climb into the mid 30's. As a poster stated earlier, we must be ale to trust Wessel, Wiggins and to some degree Green to play enough quality minutes at the 2 & 3 to afford Marshall to play FVV & Baker closer to 30. In injury to FVV would be devastating.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                                I have a huge concern over the minutes FVV is playing early (and Baker for that matter). Players are at greater risk for injury due to muscle stress and fatigue as the minutes climb into the mid 30's. As a poster stated earlier, we must be ale to trust Wessel, Wiggins and to some degree Green to play enough quality minutes at the 2 & 3 to afford Marshall to play FVV & Baker closer to 30. In injury to FVV would be devastating.
                                Isn't that why they're taking yoga?

Comment

Working...
                                X