Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ria'n and Shaq will redshirt

According to Sullentrop's tweet:

"No surprise: Ria'n Holland and Shaq Morris will redshirt. Seems like wise choices. Gregg Marshall said both responded with their best"

I think that's going to pay huge dividends down the road.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
      According to Sullentrop's tweet:

"No surprise: Ria'n Holland and Shaq Morris will redshirt. Seems like wise choices. Gregg Marshall said both responded with their best"
      The continuance of that tweet: "practices today after making the decision."

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        I think that's going to pay huge dividends down the road.
        Absolutely! Those guys both have bright future's, but 2013-14 is a learning year.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I've said this before, but both Holland and Shaq would earn major minutes this year at some other MVC schools, and maybe even start. Being able to redshirt them is a pure luxury, as both will be really good players in the future. This is a good year to learn.

On another note, this suggests that Marshall is really comfortable with Baker as the back-up point (and possibly Cotton/Wessel behind him). That's a good sign.

Comment

No surprise about Shaq. STUNNED about Ria'n.

Comment

Marshall said he needed 3 point guards. I guess he has three. That, or Ri'an is SG.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                No surprise about Shaq. STUNNED about Ria'n.
                I wouldn't have said "no surprise" about Holland either.

HCGM likes depth at PG and Ria'n seemed capable of getting minutes this year.

There will be a 3 way race for MVC FOY next year between Ria'n, Shaq, and Zach Brown.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

From what I've seen of R'ian, he needs some development. A rs will benefit him mightily. Shaq, well that's something that will scare not only the valley, but the rest of the NCAA. Marshall is preparing for well over a decade of success.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                  Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

I can remember back to MT's first years as well as HCGM first couple of years and if you could play you played. There wasn't the luxury of redshirting someone because the cupboard was bare. To be able to red shirt two players of their caliber speaks volumes to where the program is now.

Comment

With Rian redshirting - I'm thinking we are in pretty good shape for the next 5 years at pg

Comment

Rian to beef up, Shaq to beef down. Both would have gotten minutes. Both could have played significant minutes elsewhere. Both are talented and have major upsides. Both made the right decision for themselves and the program.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I thought Ria'n was more of a SG than a PG. Maybe he'll learn more of the PG role during his redshirt season.

Comment

With Rian's absence I move Tekele out of the starting lineup so you have a three man rotation of him, Fred and Ron. Move Cle to the 3 and insert Darius into the starting lineup at 4. Use Evan and Nick as emergency 2's.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Mildly surprised about Holland, but only because of the absence of DJ Bowles. This leaves 80 guard minutes per game to be covered by FVV, Baker, Cotton, and Wessel, with possibly Wiggins even getting a few at SG. Sounds like Early, as many have anticipated, will likely be getting some minutes at SF, and that WSU expects Carter, Lufile, Derail Green, and Wiggins all to be ready to make significant contributions, because with 10 guys to cover 200 minutes per game, you can't have too many who don't get 10 minutes or more every time out -- at least, not unless Marshall expects for someone (or someones) regularly to play more minutes/game than we've normally seen lately.

Of course, injuries could also change things quite a bit and force those redshirts to come off, but let's hope not, for all the reasons our posters have named. This also could be good news for the walk-ons in terms of playing time, especially against overmatched opponents.

Comment

Working...
                              X