Student Tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Tickets

At Saturday's game three guys ahead of me in line entered the arena. The first guy was college age and presented a student ticket. He was asked for his student ID and presented it. He had his ticket scanned and he was allowed in.

The next two guys that were with him were in their late 50's or early 60's. The first guy also presented a student ticket. He too was asked for his student ID. Too which he responded he rode the bus and left his wallet in the car. The ticket taker then responded something to the effect of "So you're a 60 year old student?" The guys said yes. At that point the ticket taker started to get a little mad and said "You know I'm not supposed to let you in, right?" The guy with the ticket didn't respond. The ticket taker said again I'm not supposed to let you in without a student ID. I'm going to let you in but don't expect to get in again this way.

Just thought it was interesting. First time I've ever experienced this sort of thing.

How are student tickets marked? They're GA.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
      How are student tickets marked? They're GA.
      20131104_222204.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
        At Saturday's game three guys ahead of me in line entered the arena. The first guy was college age and presented a student ticket. He was asked for his student ID and presented it. He had his ticket scanned and he was allowed in.

The next two guys that were with him were in their late 50's or early 60's. The first guy also presented a student ticket. He too was asked for his student ID. Too which he responded he rode the bus and left his wallet in the car. The ticket taker then responded something to the effect of "So you're a 60 year old student?" The guys said yes. At that point the ticket taker started to get a little mad and said "You know I'm not supposed to let you in, right?" The guy with the ticket didn't respond. The ticket taker said again I'm not supposed to let you in without a student ID. I'm going to let you in but don't expect to get in again this way.

Just thought it was interesting. First time I've ever experienced this sort of thing.

I've experienced similar things in the past. I've tried to get friends of mine into games who didn't attend WSU with student tickets, and the ticket staff gave them the same "We aren't supposed to do this" speech. I realize they are doing what they are instructed to do, but personally, I don't see the big deal with not having a student ID with a student ticket. If the student isn't going to use it, but it will get used by a non-student and their butt will be in a seat and cheering, what is the big deal? They don't check that the ID matches up with the person 9/10 anyway.

As an aside, good to hear that all student tickets are claimed for Emporia St. and Tennessee. It's about freaking time students started getting involved with this awesome program.

Comment

This hasn't been a huge issue in the past due to barely selling out most games. I think we are starting to see the demand from students and non student raise significantly. If this trend continues I wouldn't expect the ticket takers to be as lax. A good sign, we need more young students in the student section being loud and becoming future fans as they grow up and raise families.

Comment

The problem, and I'll admit I've been guilty of this in the past: I want to go to he game with my brother who isn't a student. Instead of buying a $12 student guest ticket I'll have a friend who wasn't going to the game pickup an extra, free student ticket. It's probably a good thing to check Student IDs as we come in.

Comment

I think everyone who has a student ticket should have a student ID - doesn't have to be their own ID, just a ID.

Did a friend who isn't going to the game give you the ticket? Then ask to borrow his ID. If lost, the cost of replacing an ID is less expensive than a $12 guest ticket, at least it used to be "back in the day".

Once we start winning national championships and we have a significant secondary market for our tickets, then you get more stringent on IDs (i.e. ticket holder and IDs must be for the same person). If they don't match, pay a validation fee of $20.

Comment

If the student paid their student fees to subsidize student basketball tickets, why shouldn't they be able to give them away? So long as they stand in line to pick them up, why shouldn't they be able to pass them on to anybody they want to?
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think students can pass the tickets to whomever they want - just make sure they have an ID, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                    I think students can pass the tickets to whomever they want - just make sure they have an ID, too.
                    A student ID or just a driver's license? I'm saying why can't they pass them on to non-students?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      A student ID or just a driver's license? I'm saying why can't they pass them on to non-students?
                      Student IDs. I've been to multiple sporting events on other campuses (basketball, football, etc.) and used a student ticket. The policy there, as it is here, is that you have a student ID with a student ticket. If you don't, there is a separate line for validating the ticket and a fee that goes along with it. Again, the ID doesn't have to be you, just a student ID. I will say, the other school(s) I have referenced above are major Division-I programs and in recent years they've stepped up the ID requirements to be that the student ID must be you or at least not obviously be someone else.

Comment

I can see both sides to this in that I would like to see all the seats filled but it was the students that funded that part of their "free" ticket so I think it should be a student sitting there. What happens when a real student wants to go and there are non available because someone that had no intention of going picks up a ticket to give to a buddy that wants the ticket for a non student? Tickets are going to be much harder to come by and the rules will be more strictly enforced so I would expect at some point in time these pseudo students will be turned away.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          I can see both sides to this in that I would like to see all the seats filled but it was the students that funded that part of their "free" ticket so I think it should be a student sitting there. What happens when a real student wants to go and there are non available because someone that had no intention of going picks up a ticket to give to a buddy that wants the ticket for a non student? Tickets are going to be much harder to come by and the rules will be more strictly enforced so I would expect at some point in time these pseudo students will be turned away.
                          This is pretty much my take on it, too. In addition, if the student ticket being "donated" wasn't picked up by another student, it could be sold by the athletic department, adding revenue to the program. I know it's not a lot, but if a policy is in place it probably ought to be followed.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            What happens when a real student wants to go and there are non available because someone that had no intention of going picks up a ticket to give to a buddy that wants the ticket for a non student?
                            Ah yeah, that would be frustrating. That's a good argument for only allowing students to use those tickets. And they open the student seating up to GA at a certain time before the game for anything that's left right?

Comment

Working...
                            X