Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it was Michael Wiggins

Comment

The anthem at KC before the DePaul-Texas game was superb. Don't know if anyone was there to hear it, but the high school girl from Liberty MO was outstanding.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I think the serviceman in St Louis that has sung the Anthem for several years is flat out dynamite.

Nothing against Roy Moy (not sure if that's his name or not) but he does it too often. It's not easy, I get that, but we have an outstanding arts department...there have to be several qualified current and past students that can nail that and would be thrilled for the opportunity.

Comment

I can't sing but if I could I would keep the ad lib to a minimum. Last game's anthem was not to my liking but that's just me. I am grateful live in a place where the singer can stray from t radiation and we can freely discuss it.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Yes, it is a challenging song to sing. The performer has to cover 1.5 octaves, so just the range needed makes it difficult. It's also a song that everyone knows, so you'd better not screw it up. I messed up lyrics once a long time ago. Thankfully, it was a small crowd so the embarrassment was limited. I will say though that if you are getting paid like the superstars do who sing at big events like the Super Bowl, you'd better make DAMN sure that you get it right.

Like all you have said, I hate, Hate, HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE when people try to go all American Idol with that song. I have a music background so I get that mentality of artistic expression...just not for this song. It doesn't make you look impressive to ad lib this. It makes you look totally ridiculous.

One change I would love to see is for us to go all Chicago Blackhawks on the anthem when the crowd cheers during the song. It is a nerve-racking experience to sing this song when everyone else is reverently quiet. Singing when the place is cheering would be super cool. It would almost remove the nerves for the singer...get 'em all pumped up.
            78-65

Comment

Confident, good performers by their nature are show offs.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Confident, good performers by their nature are narcissistic sociopaths.
                FYP...

Ironically, the best anthem rendition sung this year was a couple of games back, by the dean of the College of Fine Arts. Dude knocked it out of the park, and was very traditional in his presentation. Maybe "new school" needs to take some notes from "old school" when it comes to the proper way to honor our country.

And count me in with the group that thinks our sound system seems to be taking steps back rather than forward. Amazing to think where we are at considering what we spent for our sound "upgrade", when there are highly-educated professionals who specialize in spec-ing, building, and fine tuning sound systems for large and complicated venues. It is like we turned some WSU AD staffer that's really into his home theatre system loose with a 7 figure budget and a fancy catalog. I'm sure we have some really nice components hanging up there from the rafters, but are they matched to our arena, and is there anyone with an appropriate level of experience operating them?
                Last edited by SHOCKvalue; December 9, 2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

But the Dean was really really good and he was wise enough go know it so he didnt have to show off. Young performers want to make sure that everyone notices.

Comment

nm

Comment

Madison Rising has a great "version " of the nat. anthem ,, it's the only one I have ever heard that really got me going . having said that I would NEVR WANT IT DONE THAT WAY for the start of an event, stickly traditionalist in that respect, but if ya wanna rock it check it out

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

We need to invite WSU alum, Colby native, and international opera star Sam Ramey back to sing the anthem. He probably wouldn't even need the mic.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Or bring the WSU alum star of my generation back, Joyce DiDonato.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                            We need to invite WSU alum, Colby native, and international opera star Sam Ramey back to sing the anthem. He probably wouldn't even need the mic.
                            Not only that he could dye his hair bright yellow and fill in for WuShock. That is a serious mane he's got going there.

Comment

I just received this e-mail (circulating kind of thing) and thought it apropos:

At the start of the NFL season, perhaps all team owners should be sent the following message.....

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan:

With all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice
                              to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event...
                              Save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts.
                              Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling.
                              Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors,
                              airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the
                              world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification.
                              Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets
                              wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their
                              cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and
                              the country they love - not because you want them to think you are a
                              superstar musician. They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage.
                              Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that
                              tells the audience that it is about America, not you.
                              And please remember, not everything has to be sung as a Negro
                              spiritual. We're getting a little weary of that.
                              Francis Scott Key does not need any help ."
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                                I just received this e-mail (circulating kind of thing) and thought it apropos:
                                At the start of the NFL season, perhaps all team owners should be sent the following message.....

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan:

With all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice
                                to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event...
                                Save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts.
                                Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling.
                                Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors,
                                airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the
                                world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification.
                                Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets
                                wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their
                                cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and
                                the country they love - not because you want them to think you are a
                                superstar musician. They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage.
                                Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that
                                tells the audience that it is about America, not you.
                                And please remember, not everything has to be sung as a Negro
                                spiritual. We're getting a little weary of that.
                                Francis Scott Key does not need any help ."
                                FTFY
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                                Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Working...
                                X