No announcement yet.

Sound System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ricky, do you think the stat box area would still be easily readable if it had no gridlines? Maybe alternate the rows between white and yellow if clarity was needed?
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
      Ricky, do you think the stat box area would still be easily readable if it had no gridlines? Maybe alternate the rows between white and yellow if clarity was needed?
      My own thoughts would be to lose the gray "wood" background, thin out the grid lines, and add some color or change font thickness to emphasis certain metrics.

Comment

like this
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

I'm hoping that the sound system just needs adjustments for a full arena. Seems like they went overboard trying to push past the crowd, because it definitely has sounded better when I've heard it before. The hardest thing to get right seems to be the voices, as overly strong bass tends to completely muddy speech.

Comment

I started a thread about this while the comments were being posted under the "Sound System" thread. I agree with the complaints about the scoreboard - too hard to read.

Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
              Ditch the grid. Totally unnecessary.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                This is just a question because I really don't know. Would it impact the settings of the sound system when the arena is full and semi noisy vs an empty arena? Do people/bodies absorb and distort sound in an environment like an arena? Thanks, I will listen off the air.
                That's a good point, but wouldn't you just add a certain amount to it for actual game atmosphere? I dunno. Sure seemed like an easy fix to me, especially once the night went on. But it didn't.

Is the equipment too far ahead of the people who are running it?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                  And Don had his headset on backwards with the mic on the back of his head. That was awful too. Lot's of room for improvement.
                  LOL. That's awesome!

That would explain why ol' Don couldn't be heard. Wow.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    That's a good point, but wouldn't you just add a certain amount to it for actual game atmosphere? I dunno. Sure seemed like an easy fix to me, especially once the night went on. But it didn't.

Is the equipment too far ahead of the people who are running it?
                    The problem is you can't just expect to bump up the levels and have it work. Some frequencies are absorbed by bodies more than other frequencies. It can be difficult to predict. All I really want to see is improvement in each game until they get it right. It's difficult to simulate 10,000+ bodies and crowd noise. As long as it keeps getting better I find that acceptable.
                    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

I've done some sound reinforcement at church a few years ago and there are similarities. You can set a mix during rehearsal with the sanctuary empty, but once you get it half or more full of bodies, you have to make some adjustments, which includes some wandering around to see how the sound is different in multiple areas of the space. And that's just acoustics. I don't know if it's still an issue with equipment that is less than 10 years old, but humidity levels could wreak havoc with the actual electronics, wiring and wireless communications.

Bottom line is that they need more than just a guy at the controls to be spotters and relay what they are hearing, or not hearing, back to the sound engineer so he can make the necessary adjustments.

At one of the volleyball games I noticed the guy at the sound controls was wearing headphones. If he's doing that the whole time (and I don't know if he is or isn't) he needs to take them off from time to time so he can hear what everyone else is hearing.

Comment

If you guys knew what my wife sounded like when she's hollarin' at me, you'd understand why I'm ALL FOR the new sound system squeakin' and a squawkin' and drowndin' her pointy fingered, accusationatin' lectures out.

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if a sound system exists that will sound clear in Koch Arena. I don't know much at all about sound systems but at times it just seems like the volume is too high. Less can be more in certain circumstances.

After the women's games Jody does her post-game radio interview that is tied in to the Koch Arena sound system. In the past my wife and I could never understand her otherwise we would probably listen in from our seats in the Arena. I was hoping the new sound system would overcome those issues, but after listening from inside the arena after their 1st exhibition game that doesn't seem to be the case. Still could not understand her very well at all.

So, I don't know. Doesn't seem to matter what they do it just doesn't seem to get any better.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 5, 2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            If you guys knew what my wife sounded like when she's hollarin' at me, you'd understand why I'm ALL FOR the new sound system squeakin' and a squawkin' and drowndin' her pointy fingered, accusationatin' lectures out.

How much is it worth to you for me NOT to show her your post. If you think you been hollard at before think what sleepin on the couch is going to do for your flair and savoir faire.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              How much is it worth to you for me NOT to show her your post. If you think you been hollard at before think what sleepin on the couch is going to do for your flair and savoir faire.
                              Shoot I've already had to replace the threads on the couch pillows.

Comment

Did anybody else think the sound system was off tonight. They finally got it right last game. The JBL speakers up top weren't even on tonight. First half of the ORU game can be attributed to fans weren't sent into a frenzy with the intro. Everyone clapped but Koch wasn't rocking. Did the sound system come with an owners manual?

Comment

Working...
                                X