A Ron Baker anecdote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Ron Baker anecdote

This was in a recent column in the Hutch News about Kentucky's high school activities association discontinuing post-game handshakes.

I'm suddenly reminded of the 2011 Kansas Class 3A basketball championship game, when Scott City's Ron Baker - now a standout at Wichita State - outlasted Minneapolis guard Grayson George in an epic battle.

Baker had 26 points in leading the Beavers to their first of three straight championships inside the Hutchinson Sports Arena. George had 23 in that night and led Minneapolis back from a double-digit deficit before fouling out with two minutes to play.

When he picked up his fifth foul, Baker, who had been battling him all night, congratulated him on an amazing effort. The two shook hands and gave a quick hug before George went to the bench - and Scott City closed out a 55-53 victory.

That was sportsmanship personified.

Maybe they should show the tape of that game in Kentucky.

Ron Baker, sportsman...

.....I went to that state meet to see what the fuss about Baker was about....went back all three times to watch him play...what a great kid!

Comment

Hehe. Hes a standout after about 8 games of college ball.

Love it.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
        Hehe. Hes a standout after about 8 games of college ball.

Love it.
        Lol. Well ... Andrew Wiggins has him handily beat by 8. :)
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Anyone know what happened to Grayson George (2G)

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
            Anyone know what happened to Grayson George (2G)
            Played (very sparingly, a walk-on) for Oklahoma St 2011-12, but left for personal reasons. Don't know after that. Edit: Best I can figure out is that he is still in Stillwater, just no longer playing basketball.
            Last edited by ShockTalk; October 22, 2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

From OSU's website, Grayson George is still on the roster. Looks like he's a walk-on.

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
                From OSU's website, Grayson George is still on the roster. Looks like he's a walk-on.
                Not that I can see:

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                X