X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBSSports.com's Top 100 Players in college hoops for 2013-14

Early at #22, Odum at #91
    Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

I suppose that means Baker is in the top 20?

Comment

SoW at 3? Mmmmm'kay....

Aaron Craft (8) and Kevin Pangos (41) on the list. I wonder what Mr. Cotton thinks about that.

91. Jake Odum
      Indiana State
      Vitals: 6-4 | Sr. | G
      Comment: Doug McDermott is out of the MVC. So now Odum has a real shot at winning the league's Player of the Year award. -- GP

Are these guys on crack?
      78-65

Comment

I cannot think of a returning guard on our team I wouldn't take over Aaron Craft. I would also take Odum over Craft. He's a great college player, but he ain't that great.

Comment

VCU's Reddic is way under-valued. Don't believe there are 100 better players than Baker.

Comment

Baker came to WSU with no reputation. He played well in a handful of high-profile games his freshman season, missing most of it due to injury. I would never expect him to be included in any top-100 player lists based on that. You'd have to scrape me off of the floor if he was. Now, should he put up 12+ ppg with decent supporting numbers for a full season, then I'll feel slighted.

Comment

If the Shox perform as expected this year and land anywhere at or above the S16, then you could see any one or more of several Shox on that list including: Baker, Wessell, and/or VanVleet.
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                SoW at 3? Mmmmm'kay....

Aaron Craft (8) and Kevin Pangos (41) on the list. I wonder what Mr. Cotton thinks about that.

91. Jake Odum
                Indiana State
                Vitals: 6-4 | Sr. | G
                Comment: Doug McDermott is out of the MVC. So now Odum has a real shot at winning the league's Player of the Year award. -- GP

Are these guys on crack?
                Trevor Releford is rated above Odum, and I have never seen anything out of Releford that comes close to what Odum has done and will do. As far as Odum for PoY this season goes, I think a lot of people are smoking that same crack. Personally, I don't think it is outrageous for him to get it as long as ISUb performs as expected in the Valley and beyond. Obviously, my vote will go to CLE or others on our team first. :bball_spin:
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  Baker came to WSU with no reputation. He played well in a handful of high-profile games his freshman season, missing most of it due to injury. I would never expect him to be included in any top-100 player lists based on that. You'd have to scrape me off of the floor if he was. Now, should he put up 12+ ppg with decent supporting numbers for a full season, then I'll feel slighted.
                  We just happen to already know something that everyone else is about to get smacked in the face with this season. To me, it's easy to see it as a good thing. If people are really looking at us as just Cle's talent and Marshall's coaching ability... Oh my

Go ahead. Don't pay attention to Cotton, Baker, FreshVV and Wessel. Don't use Armstud's transfer and then one season as a predictor for what to expect from Coleby. Don't look to Marshall's history with second year jucos to guess where Wiggins and Lufile will be this year. I could keep going.

I mean, I get that not everyone is on the radar at the moment, and I even get the reasons why others wouldn't rank is higher than what we are seeing. It's just that we know things they dont realize just yet :)

Comment

And I'm not sure they ever will figure that stuff out, DJ, because WSU isn't in the power conference limelight. But it really doesn't matter.

Marshall will just need to go on recruiting skilled, athletic, tough guys who care more about winning and being part of a successful team than personal attention. There are still plenty of those guys out there, and he and his staff have shown they know how to find them. And as long as they do, the results will keep pouring in. Eventually the accolades may as well, but they're secondary, and that's just fine.

"The fun in basketball is winning." -- Gene Smithson (I believe), and I'll bet Marshall would give that quote a hearty, Ditto.

Comment

Good thing Kentucky had seven players on that list, as I'm sure all will be absolutely outstanding. And sure Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress are top 25 players... that is why they were SO dominant last year, all the way to the end (interestingly enough, Kadeem Coleby had better stats in his one season than WCS). Not picking on Kentucky for any reason other than to point out how little stock I put in CBS stuff. It is all about who has been hyped the most, not who is actually the best.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        And I'm not sure they ever will figure that stuff out, DJ, because WSU isn't in the power conference limelight. But it really doesn't matter.

Marshall will just need to go on recruiting skilled, athletic, tough guys who care more about winning and being part of a successful team than personal attention. There are still plenty of those guys out there, and he and his staff have shown they know how to find them. And as long as they do, the results will keep pouring in. Eventually the accolades may as well, but they're secondary, and that's just fine.

"The fun in basketball is winning." -- Gene Smithson (I believe), and I'll bet Marshall would give that quote a hearty, Ditto.
                        and the freshman that are signing in november (henderson, kelly, brown) are like the best recruiting class marshall has had yet. the valley is about to get &fC#$ over by wichita state.

tough season coming up, though. i hope the fellows are practicing (and studying) with a chip on their shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          and the freshman that are signing in november (henderson, kelly, brown) are like the best recruiting class marshall has had yet. the valley is about to get &fC#$ over by wichita state.

tough season coming up, though. i hope the fellows are practicing (and studying) with a chip on their shoulders.
                          I wouldn't call this the best class yet. 2012 had top 100 FVV, JUCO POY Early, JUCO AA Wiggins.

2013 had top 150 Bowles, top 200 Morris, and JUCO AA Carter.

This class could end up being the most talented or most successful, but we need a JC POY or top 100 to claim best class IMO.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            I wouldn't call this the best class yet. 2012 had top 100 FVV, JUCO POY Early, JUCO AA Wiggins.

2013 had top 150 Bowles, top 200 Morris, and JUCO AA Carter.

This class could end up being the most talented or most successful, but we need a JC POY or top 100 to claim best class IMO.
                            probably so. what i should have said was possibly his best freshman class recruited. some people don't like the juco thing (doesn't bother me), but that is three very good freshman getting ready to sign with the shockers.

Comment

With a final four run on the back of Cle, Carl, and Armstead (1 year in juco before Oregon), getting pretty hard not to like the juco-thing.
                              Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Working...
                              X