Final Four Analytics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Four Analytics

This link may be posted somewhere else, but I thought I would try and arm fellow Shocker fans with some ammunition in case you encounter this type of fan with the college hoops season quickly approaching:

"Well, WSU got lucky and had such an easy path to the Final Four."

Did They?

Here is a link to an article posted by KenPom the highest regarded statistician breaking down Final Four runs for the last 11 years (this is how long he has used his advanced metrics to try and analyze the strength of different teams).

Technically over the past 11 years WSU had the hardest road to the Final Four. How much more unbelievable is the Final Four run now?

"It is OVER... Ladies and Gentleman, say it slow and savor it... Wichita State is going to the Final Four for the first time in 48 years." - Mike Kennedy

I remember reading that piece shortly after it came out. It did deflect a fair amount of criticism.

Comment

Can't post this piece enough. One talking point to remember is that WSU's run is the hardest of all the years for which Kenpom has data. It isn't that a team 12 years ago had a tougher run; we just don't have statistics for that far back. Would be interesting to know how far back you would have to go.
      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
        Can't post this piece enough. One talking point to remember is that WSU's run is the hardest of all the years for which Kenpom has data. It isn't that a team 12 years ago had a tougher run; we just don't have statistics for that far back. Would be interesting to know how far back you would have to go.
        At least until Naismith was a corporal.

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
          I k.now Maryland had to best two #1seeds on their way t o a national championship but don't recall ikf they beat both to get to the FF.
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
            I k.now Maryland had to best two #1seeds on their way t o a national championship but don't recall ikf they beat both to get to the FF.
            I'm gonna go with no.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              I'm gonna go with no.
              You mean there were not two number one seeds in the same bracket. Odd.

Comment

Hahaha give the man a break, guys! (That's funny stuff, though!)

Comment

Working...
                X