the bcs syndrome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
    st marys beat drake why dont they put st marys above drake they only have 3 loses.
    ?? Uh..??

Polls don't work like that.

My Goddd... :roll:
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think they should be ranked above

12. Texas 17-4 391
      13. Indiana 18-3 364
      14. Xavier 18-4 338
      8. Wisconsin 18-3 517
      9. Stanford 18-3 504
      10. Michigan State 19-3 466

or anyone else with 3 ore more loses.
      Those teams all play in tougher conferences. Not only that, you need to understand how the polls work. It all starts with how the pollsters think the teams are before the season and all movement after that is relative.

If Drake had started the season ranked or getting votes, they would be in the top 10.

Drake has not defeated any other ranked teams. They've ascended more by not losing, than by winning. (There's a subtle difference) Most of the other teams were either highly regarded in the pre-season or have beaten good/ranked teams. (Texas beat St. Mary's, Tennessee and UCLA).

Plus, Texas, Indiana, Xavier and Drake are not very far apart in poll votes. As far as the poll is concerned, those four might as well be in no particular order.

Comment

Personally I'm blown away how much "respect" Drake is getting. The Valley really has improved its national reputation over the past few years. Drake hasn't done squat for forever so it's good to not only see them having a great season, but also getting recognized in the polls.

With the Valley being down this year...it's a good sign that the national media (polls) are still rewarding the Valley's best team in the Top-25.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker
          Personally I'm blown away how much "respect" Drake is getting. The Valley really has improved its national reputation over the past few years. Drake hasn't done squat for forever so it's good to not only see them having a great season, but also getting recognized in the polls.

With the Valley being down this year...it's a good sign that the national media (polls) are still rewarding the Valley's best team in the Top-25.
          I hope in my lifetime we can have two Valley teams stay in the Polls for a good portion of the season.
          ________
          Uhwh Warehouse
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Why stop at 2. Let's go for 3 or 4 ranked teams.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
              Why stop at 2. Let's go for 3 or 4 ranked teams.
              why not 6, lol
              ________
              New jersey medical marijuana
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

I've been wondering: How would Drake fare in say the 05-06 season in the Valley? I haven't seen Drake play at all (except our close game vs. them), but them being undefeated in the Valley doesn't mean A LOT to me. Obviously it's not easy to be undefeated, but with the Valley being so down this year, it doesn't impress me as much as it would've a few years ago.

Comment

What did a Bradley team that consisted of O'Bryant, Sommerville, Ruffin, Bennett, Wright, Andrews, and Franklin finish?

That team was loaded and still wasn't able to separate itself from the competition.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I think this season's Drake team would have had a difficult time finishing better than .500 the season we won the Valley.

Drake has extremely marginal post players. Think about who all the good Valley teams had 2 seasons ago. The Valley has always had good guards. It's the post play that transcended the Valley the last few seasons to being really freaking good.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
                    What did a Bradley team that consisted of O'Bryant, Sommerville, Ruffin, Bennett, Wright, Andrews, and Franklin finish?

That team was loaded and still wasn't able to separate itself from the competition.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I think this season's Drake team would have had a difficult time finishing better than .500 the season we won the Valley.

Drake has extremely marginal post players. Think about who all the good Valley teams had 2 seasons ago. The Valley has always had good guards. It's the post play that transcended the Valley the last few seasons to being really freaking good.
                    I agree about the post players, which is why im even more excited to have possibly 2 7 footers on our team for the next 4 years.
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Re: the bcs syndrome.

look at this.
                      pathetic how much they hate on drake.
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Well, they are given a 3 seed in the new Bracketology. So, not everyone is "hating" on them.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

They even get love in the ESPN Power 16.

Get used to the reality: This team is going to the NCAA Tournament and very likely will be wearing white jerseys in its first game there. Maybe the second one, too.
                      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

This is very much a down year for the Valley. It's not near as good as it's been recently. For Drake to be ranked where they are is by no means disrespecting them.

Comment

I think they should be ranked above

12. Texas 17-4 391
                          13. Indiana 18-3 364
                          14. Xavier 18-4 338
                          8. Wisconsin 18-3 517
                          9. Stanford 18-3 504
                          10. Michigan State 19-3 466

or anyone else with 3 ore more loses.

I am pretty sure Drake would lose by double digits to all those teams. I am not trying to be negative it is just what i think.

I love the attention Drake is getting. I just hope they keep it up and lose in St. Louisl.
                          Shocker Forever!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
                            Originally posted by vbird53
                            Neutral court:

Texas vs. Drake

Pick the winner.

'nuf said.
                            Drake vs. stanford
                            neutral court.
                            pick the winner.

Stanford lost to Sienna.
                            All of this coming from the same guy who thought Gals' charge was BS because the defender "lifted one of his feet of the floor." Trust me Rip, it was a charge - even Helen Keller could have called it.
                            Don't get me wrong Drake is having a once in a lifetime season. It may very well end up as one in a lifetime too. Remember, Drake has been the perennial cellar dweller in the Valley for some 300 years. They are having a great season but they also haven't played anyone with a stud presence in the paint. When they beat a team with the legit 6'11" manimal in the paint, then we'll all line up to pay homage to the Dogs. 8)

Legal Guarding Position
                            To be in a legal guarding position, the defender is facing his opponent, has both feet on the floor in a normal stance for his/her heighth.

This is what the ncaa calls the legal guarding position.
                            u must be in the legal guarding position to take a charge.
                            im sure theres no bias.
                            but im convinced u wanna blame gal for everything.
                            wed be getting blownout without him in that game.
                            "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                            CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                              Neutral court:

Texas vs. Drake

Pick the winner.

'nuf said.
                              Drake! 8) 8) 8) 8)
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Legal Guarding Position
                                To be in a legal guarding position, the defender is facing his opponent, has both feet on the floor in a normal stance for his/her heighth.

This is what the ncaa calls the legal guarding position.
                                u must be in the legal guarding position to take a charge.
                                im sure theres no bias.
                                but im convinced u wanna blame gal for everything.
                                wed be getting blownout without him in that game.
                                Actually, you don't have to be in that Legal Guarding position to take a charge:

Basketball rules state that if a defensive player is in a legal defensive stance or position, the defensive player has the right to move in order to maintain his legal positioning. A charging call can be made even if the defensive player has one or both feet off of the ground when the offensive player makes contact with the defensive player.

I'm convinced you don't want to blame Gal for anything. Even when he obviously messes up.

About 7:15 into this show: http://www.kake.com/otl : they show the replay of Gal's charge. Watch it, and with the information I have just given you, seriously tell me that isn't a charge.
                                "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                                -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                                X