this talk about inherited talent....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this talk about inherited talent....

...is interesting to me, but i don't have a great answer for it.sometimes style don't mesh, injuries happen, etc.

randy had on one of his teams:jason perez, maurice evans, terrell benton, and williams...that to me seems like a LOT more talent than what is AVAILABLE for marshall...

anyway, i've liked all our recent coaches, but i'm enthused about what marshall will do.

He brought in evans, benton and williams. He didn't inherit them. Perez and Jamie Arnold were hold overs from Thompson. Both were very good, just Jamie had some problems with Randy and that was evident by what happened in that last game he played.

Yes they were probably more talented than what we have now, but never showed it per say. I would have loved to have seen them all play together more than they did, but didn't get to. But it is also arguable that those last 3 were the best players that Randy brought in (minus Rhodes and Hankton) in his whole time.

Comment

Perez wasn't a holdover exactly. My understanding is that Randy had to re-recruit him. Think Denzel Bowles, but with a different outcome.

Jamie didn't last the first season (or was it the 2nd?).

Randy did bring in Evans, Williams and Benton. If Mo would have stuck around and Williams lived up to his potential, we might have had a shot one year at the conference title, or at least made it to the NIT (Randy was close one year).

But one thing is for certain, the Valley of today is not the Valley of the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        Perez wasn't a holdover exactly. My understanding is that Randy had to re-recruit him. Think Denzel Bowles, but with a different outcome.
        The point is that without Thompson, Randy doesn't have Jason Perez for four years to build around. Without Turgeon, Marshall doesn't have Graham Hatch for four years to build around.

Fortunately for Randy and unfortunately for Marshall there doesn't appear to be 3 big time division one impact level recruits in Wichita right now for him to add to the equation.

Honestly, the cards were set up for Randy to be successful - one of the best players we've had here in 20 years as an incoming freshman and the 2 most highly regarded recruits WSU has landed in the last 20 years playing within 10 minutes of the roundhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
          Honestly, the cards were set up for Randy to be successful - one of the best players we've had here in 20 years as an incoming freshman and the 2 most highly regarded recruits WSU has landed in the last 20 years playing within 10 minutes of the roundhouse.
          I completely agree. No other coach has done it since Randy did. MT couldn't land Gray, Lattimore or any one else for that matter around here. HCGM hasn't been able to land them either, but who says he was really recruiting them that hard anyways?

Comment

The true test will be perry ellis. If he develops like they say, and WSU is on the path we all see it being on when GS, DK, TM, and hopefully Twany graduate, we will have him and several other 4* recruits coming in to reload!!

GO SHOX!!

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
              Originally posted by 7hottamales
              I completely agree. No other coach has done it since Randy did. MT couldn't land Gray, Lattimore or any one else for that matter around here. HCGM hasn't been able to land them either, but who says he was really recruiting them that hard anyways?
              Recruiting is about building relationships, and it takes some time. Let's not forget that our head coach still has not been here for 1 year. Asking him to recruit this area without even knowing this area is tough. I'd say he's done a pretty good job on the recruiting front. Give him some time to "lock down the borders".

Comment

i know it's not Wichita, but WSU did get some kid from Kansas City in the early signing period. I think his name is Stutts. WSU has not signed a lot of players from up there.

Comment

Originally posted by calfan
                  i know it's not Wichita, but WSU did get some kid from Kansas City in the early signing period. I think his name is Stutts. WSU has not signed a lot of players from up there.
                  Yep, I thought we could have used the recruitment of Jamar Howard a little more to our potential to pull some more kids from the KC neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                    Originally posted by calfan
                    Yep, I thought we could have used the recruitment of Jamar Howard a little more to our potential to pull some more kids from the KC neck of the woods.
                    Why we haven't been able to use Goolsby to help pull a few KC kids is what gets me. Coach needs to strike up a friendship with LJ and get us some kids from the top AAU team in KC and one of the better ones in the country.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      Why we haven't been able to use Goolsby to help pull a few KC kids is what gets me. Coach needs to strike up a friendship with LJ and get us some kids from the top AAU team in KC and one of the better ones in the country.
                      I always wondered why MT didn't try to use the connection either. Hopefully HCGM will get it taken care of and maybe one of those kids will end up down here in the next few years.

Comment

Working...
                      X