D. J. Bowles Denied Medical Clearnance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D. J. Bowles Denied Medical Clearnance

It appears D.J. will not be resuming his basketball career due to a cardiac condition.

WICHITA, Kan. -- D.J. Bowles has been denied medical clearance to return to athletic participation by the WSU-ICAA and the medical staff due to a cardiac condition, but has been extended an opportunity for Wichita State to honor all four years of his scholarship aid, Director of Athletics Eric Sexton announced today.

Hopefully, D. J. will at least accept the opportunity to complete his education as a Shocker and will have a long and fulfilling life, although I am sure he is very disappointed. On the positive, at least he is still alive and able to be disappointed.

:(

Ahhhhh

Comment

Man I feel for the young man. This has to be devastating but I hope that he takes every advantage to complete his college degree and become the most successful whatever he wants to be.

Good luck young man!

Comment

Glad to see they're offering the full four years of scholarships.

I do find it interesting they have to petition the NCAA for a medical hardship in order for his scholly not to count against the 13 for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I do find it interesting they have to petition the NCAA for a medical hardship in order for his scholly not to count against the 13 for next year.
          Surely, in this case, that will be a mere formality.

Comment

So I've seen some contradicting reports. Is DJ not cleared to play in the upcoming season or not cleared to play ever again?

Comment

Sounds like he will never play again. :-(.

Comment

It's heartbreaking. All one can do is hope DJ is counting his blessings to have survived, but what a sad turn for a young athlete.

DJ Bowles, always a Shocker.
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

He won't play at WSU. He could theoretically transfer to another school and play. But that was tried recently by Emmanuel Negedu (Tennessee to New Mexico) and he didn't finish his first season back.

Comment

Damn, you hate to see this happen to someone so young.

But, he at least still has his whole life ahead of him and we can be most thankful for that.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      He won't play at WSU. He could theoretically transfer to another school and play. But that was tried recently by Emmanuel Negedu (Tennessee to New Mexico) and he didn't finish his first season back.
                      Why do you say that? Is it because we're requesting a medical hardship and not counting his ship? If he were to receive medical clearance, he couln't play here because this year would be essentially a redshirt year and would have counted againstbthecship total?
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

God that sucks bad. Thank God he's alive though.

Comment

Feel really bad for DJ. Having the game you love taken from you at his age has really got to suck.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            It appears D.J. will not be resuming his basketball career due to a cardiac condition.

WICHITA, Kan. -- D.J. Bowles has been denied medical clearance to return to athletic participation by the WSU-ICAA and the medical staff due to a cardiac condition, but has been extended an opportunity for Wichita State to honor all four years of his scholarship aid, Director of Athletics Eric Sexton announced today.

Hopefully, D. J. will at least accept the opportunity to complete his education as a Shocker and will have a long and fulfilling life, although I am sure he is very disappointed. On the positive, at least he is still alive and able to be disappointed.

:(
                            :good:
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              Why do you say that? Is it because we're requesting a medical hardship and not counting his ship? If he were to receive medical clearance, he couln't play here because this year would be essentially a redshirt year and would have counted againstbthecship total?
                              I believe what @RoyalShock: is saying is that he has been denied medical clearance by WSU-ICAA based upon the recommendations of their medical consultants. However, the decision of the WSU-ICAA is only binding on WSU. D.J. theoretically could shop for another school who might be willing to give him medical clearance. However, I doubt D.J and his family will do that, but they certainly have the right to try if they want to. I wouldn't be surprised if the trip to the Mayo Clinic was for a 2nd opinion which probably confirmed the diagnosis made in Wichita.

In any case, I am sure whatever decision D.J. and his family make will be with D.J.'s long-term health and happiness at the fore and I wish him all the best whatever route he decides to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X