Viva Las Cruces!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viva Las Cruces!

Someone recently commented that WSU ought to play Utah State home and home, which sounded appealing to me too, so I looked at the Aggies' recent RPI ranks and was surprised to see that despite having had reasonably successful records they've actually been in the RPI top 100 just two of the last five seasons (although they were definitely well up in those two seasons --18th and 40th, according to Warren Nolan -- and just barely missed the top 100 two other times).

But while I was looking up Utah State, I also noticed their fellow WAC member (and former Valley team) New Mexico State, and noticed that the Green Chile Aggies had RPI ranks in the 50s two of those years and in the 60s in two others. They missed the top 100 only once in the last five seasons. So if WSU would like to schedule quality opponents from outside the "power" conferences -- and I don't know whether they do, although it would seem an easier way to get good RPI games than by trying to rope in opponents from snooty leagues to play at IBA -- how about playing home and home with NMSU?

Las Cruces may seem a little isolated, but it's certainly no more than Logan, Utah is, and basketball is a big deal in New Mexico, so it could even be a game that's a little bit of fun to play as well as a potential RPI booster.

No/Fail.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

NMSU will have three 7-footers this season. The Bholar brothers and one other guy. The tallest is, I believe 7'5", one of them is a soph, the other two are freshmen. They looked pretty decent the one time I watched them last year. I suspect they will be solid over the next few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        No/Fail.
        Why not/fail?
        “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
        -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

As far as a good opponent goes, either Utah State or NMSU would be good. Downside is that we really don't recruit either area and it's nice to play in areas you recruit.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That's true, Sub, but if no one in the areas WSU recruits is willing to play the Shocks, it's better to have a good RPI game home and home than a poor one that will end up being a buy game in Wichita. My main point was that I was surprised to see the New Mexican Desert Aggies show up better in the historical RPI than the Ski Utah Aggies.

Comment

USU did have to do a little rebuilding and then last year I think they were without 4 key players. NMSU gets overlooked because they were in the WAC, but that's been a very solid program for a long time.

However, if you can't get teams in the area you recruit, you may just go about buying teams from those areas that don't completely suck. We've bought a few CUSA teams and others from the southeast that have good RPIs for buy games.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Don't be surprised if another NM university is on our schedule in the next year or two.

Comment

That sounds good to me if it's the one you're probably thinking of, jcd. Or did you mean Eastern New Mexico, where Warren (not Jabali) Armstrong was president before moving to The WSU?

Comment

That is not the one I was referring to.

Comment

Working...
                    X