No announcement yet.

CBE Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, for RPI purposes, it might be best to play a D-II team at this point. The chances of pulling anything lower than 200 rpi is probably pretty low.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Jeff ******* had another blurb about the CBE today in one of his articles on ESPN.

He once again talked about Canisius pulling out of the event to play in the Preseason NIT. It was going to be incredibly hard to find one team for this event let alone now having to find two. The reason is because this event has four dates and it will be next to impossible to find one team that has that many open dates in the specific spots that the CBE will need them to be. ******* said don't be surprised at all if the CBE ends up with two non-Division I teams in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        What if it were the volleyball team?
        *goshockers.com..... volleyball....* ahh, yep yep. That would be worth the drive.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

If CBE really can't find teams, they should just extend the KC games by a day and make it a four-team round robin. Surely, the four teams could fit that in. They would lose a home game, but they'd all gain a quality neutral site game...better than a road apple or a useless D-2 game.
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            If CBE really can't find teams, they should just extend the KC games by a day and make it a four-team round robin. Surely, the four teams could fit that in. They would lose a home game, but they'd all gain a quality neutral site game...better than a road apple or a useless D-2 game.
            Good idea, but that's not going to happen.

Comment

“We’re counting on them to honor the terms of their contract and deliver us four Division I games,” [Boatright] said. “If not, we have to evaluate what our options are.”

Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/#storylink=cpy

Comment

What Boatright is basically saying is that we are screwed. The CBE didn't deliver and that's too bad. While I really enjoy the opportunity to play close to home this season WSU has been able to use these early season tournaments to get matchups that just aren't available to us otherwise and in my opinion, even more now than in previous years, we really need to take advantage of our opportunities and play in the best non-exempt tournaments that we possibly can in order to boost our SOS. We gave the CBE one mulligan a few years ago and if this turns out the way we all think it will I don't think we should give them a 2nd mulligan.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
                  What Boatright is basically saying is that we are screwed. The CBE didn't deliver and that's too bad. While I really enjoy the opportunity to play close to home this season WSU has been able to use these early season tournaments to get matchups that just aren't available to us otherwise and in my opinion, even more now than in previous years, we really need to take advantage of our opportunities and play in the best non-exempt tournaments that we possibly can in order to boost our SOS. We gave the CBE one mulligan a few years ago and if this turns out the way we all think it will I don't think we should give them a 2nd mulligan.
                  I think we already will be giving another mulligan, given the field they put together (no disrespect to a good BYU team). I love the idea of playing a tournament in KC, but this one feels like Elgin is in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    I think we already will be giving another mulligan, given the field they put together (no disrespect to a good BYU team).
                    This field was put together a couple years ago. I'll give you DePaul, but who the heck are we to say that we are too good to play Texas and BYU (yes, you did give BYU credit)? Yes, Texas wasn't good last year and might not be any better this season, but they have been good (if not VERY good) in recent years. Prior to the last couple of seasons, Wichita State hasn't exactly been a world beater. Let's knock the uppity attitude down a couple notches.
                    Last edited by WuShock16; August 30, 2013, 04:22 PM.
                    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                      This field was put together a couple years ago. I'll give you DePaul, but who the heck are we to say that we are too good to play Texas and BYU (yes, you did give BYU credit)? Yes, Texas wasn't good last year and might not be any better this season, but they have been good (if not VERY good) in recent years. Prior to the last couple of seasons, Wichita State hasn't exactly been a world beater. Let's knock the uppity attitude down a couple notches.
                      Actually, the field was only put together about nine months ago ( https://shockernet.net/forum/showthr...hlight=Classic ), and I think you're missing the point. It's not that anyone believes WSU is "too good" to play Texass, BYU or DePaul (I'm sure HC3G and the fans would be happy to do a home & home with all three of those programs, which won't happen because they all think they are too good to do a home & home with WSU), the point is, the rpi of MVC teams is generally so low, WSU needs to play good rpi teams ooc to conteract the damaging rpi effects of the MVC. But WSU can't get good rpi teams to play them in the ooc. So WSU relies on these tournaments to get those good rpi opponents. The CBE Classic isn't doing that. In fact, the CBE Classic looks to be so poorly run, they may not even be able to fulfill their contractual obligation to provide WSU with four Div 1 opponents. Of course at this point, it may be better for WSU's rpi if they didn't.

The feeling is, perhaps in the future, it may be better for WSU to avoid tournaments like the CBE and concentrate on the tournaments that always seem to attract the highest rated (good rpi) competition.
                      "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Lucky this year we have a great ooc and don't depend on the tournament--Alabama, Tennessee, St. Louis and maybe Davidson will all provide good tests.
                        Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                          Lucky this year we have a great ooc and don't depend on the tournament--Alabama, Tennessee, St. Louis and maybe Davidson will all provide good tests.
                          agreed.

i'd like to see byu-shockers, if possible (that one kid for byu is the real deal-put some cotton on him).. but whatever comes, just advance, shockers.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                            Actually, the field was only put together about nine months ago ( shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?14289-CBE-Classic-Kansas-City-2013&highlight=Classic ), and I think you're missing the point. It's not that anyone believes WSU is "too good" to play Texass, BYU or DePaul (I'm sure HC3G and the fans would be happy to do a home & home with all three of those programs, which won't happen because they all think they are too good to do a home & home with WSU), the point is, the rpi of MVC teams is generally so low, WSU needs to play good rpi teams ooc to conteract the damaging rpi effects of the MVC. But WSU can't get good rpi teams to play them in the ooc. So WSU relies on these tournaments to get those good rpi opponents. The CBE Classic isn't doing that. In fact, the CBE Classic looks to be so poorly run, they may not even be able to fulfill their contractual obligation to provide WSU with four Div 1 opponents. Of course at this point, it may be better for WSU's rpi if they didn't.

The feeling is, perhaps in the future, it may be better for WSU to avoid tournaments like the CBE and concentrate on the tournaments that always seem to attract the highest rated (good rpi) competition.
                            Fair enough. Good points made. Only thing that I will say is that if the general public finds out about something related the scheduling, it has actually been worked on several months before the announcement. So, in this case, if the post was in November 2012, talks might have started in the spring or summer of 2012. I bet when these talks started, Texas and BYU sounded MUCH better than they do now.
                            Last edited by WuShock16; September 2, 2013, 09:13 AM.
                            78-65

Comment

Working...
                            X