CBE Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBE Classic

Jeff ******* is reporting that Canisius has pulled out of the CBE Classic leaving only Buffalo and Wright State as two of the needed 4 teams left to fill out the tournament.

The four teams in KC will still be DePaul, Texas, BYU and WSU, but there were to be four teams heading to Buffalo as well for part of the tournament. Now that number is down to two which makes it very tough to find anyone worth a damn this late in the game.

With this potential debacle happening I'm wondering if Coach Marshall is regretting telling the Battle 4 Atlantis no thanks when they called a few months ago.

It's going to be interesting to see who we get here. We know Buffalo is supposed to be one team but it's going to suck if we end up having to play two D2 teams this year.

I would be willing to bet the entire farm that WSU is protected against having to play a D2 team in this. I am sure that it is very clear in the contract that we will get 2 D-1 teams this time, considering the screw job from last time.
    78-65

Comment

Why would our contract be any different than BYU's, Texas's or DePaul's? I doubt there is any guarantee in the agreement with the CBE. Obviously they are going to attempt to get the best teams they can but a lot of it is out of our control.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
        Why would our contract be any different than BYU's, Texas's or DePaul's? I doubt there is any guarantee in the agreement with the CBE. Obviously they are going to attempt to get the best teams they can but a lot of it is out of our control.
        I think he believes there would be a guarantee because last time we played in this we got stuck playing a DII in Arkansas-Monticello. If they did that to us again, I could see WSU being hesitant to participate in the future. And I also believe that this tournament wants a constant dose of us, KU, KSU and Mizzou in it.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Maybe I won't spend my money on the CBE....

Comment

Yeah, we are the only program in the history of the CBE to have to play a D2 team but in all honesty it would probably be better to play a D2 team than an Alabama A&M type of school. The unfortunate part is that there may end up being multiple D2 teams in the field this year.

Comment

Who says it has to be a college team? See if the Czech's want to play in it?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                I like the way you think, but that would probably be considered an exhibition game and we are limited to only 1 of them (2 in years we don't go the private scrimmage route).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I like the way you think, but that would probably be considered an exhibition game ...
                  Well I wasn't recommending they play in the nude. :)
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

What if it were the volleyball team?
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Ha!Ha! That one hit the ol' funny bone.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        And I also believe that this tournament wants a constant dose of us, KU, KSU and Mizzou in it.
                        I think this is very important. Think about it...what draw does this tournament have for a team? Okay, so Kansas City is the location of the college basketball Hall of Fame, but when you have the options like Maui, Puerto Rico, Atlantis, Padre Island, Orlando, etc., coming to Kansas City in November doesn't sound too exciting...for a team or for traveling fans for that matter. For this tournament to survive, it will always have to have a nearby fanbase like a Kansas school, Mizzou, maybe even Creighton at some point, to continue to be viable.

Other than the fact that KU is also in Atlantis, I love the fact that we are in this tournament this year instead of Atlantis. I love that WSU has the chance to compete in those big-name events in prime locations, but it is nice to have a local option for an early-season tournament once every 4 or 5 years. I will probably never be able to go to a tournament like Maui or one in the Caribbean to cheer on the Shockers. Heck, for the most part, NCAA Tournament travel is hard. Having the CBE Classic in Kansas City is certainly very doable. So, for as many issues as we might have with getting top-flight opponents for the CBE, I am grateful for the chance to afford the travel to it.
                        Last edited by WuShock16; August 28, 2013, 04:26 PM.
                        78-65

Comment

That seems like a really good idea, but do you think Evansville would want to consider playing us a third time?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                            That seems like a really good idea, but do you think Evansville would want to consider playing us a third time?
                            Evansville? We might as well play Duke, given the likelihood of beating Evansville.
                            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                              Evansville? We might as well play Duke, given the likelihood of beating Evansville.
                              Do you hear that whooshing sound?
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                              X