X to Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X to Hall of Fame

KANSAS CITY (July 29, 2013) – Arguably the greatest player in Wichita State history, Xavier McDaniel, and Houston’s three-time All-American Elvin Hayes will be inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in Kansas City November 24 at the Midland by AMC.

Two of the most dominant men of their eras, McDaniel and Hayes join previously announced Class of 2013 members: former United States Congressman Tom McMillen of Maryland, 1977 national consensus player of the year Marques Johnson of UCLA, two-time all-American Bob Hopkins of Grambling, coaching legends Gene Keady and Rollie Massimino and contributors George Raveling of Nike and George Killian of FIBA. In addition, the barrier-breaking 1963 Loyola University (Chicago) team will become the first team inducted. More information can be found on the Class of 2013 members at www.collegebasketballhalloffame.com .
    Note that the link does not include Xor Hayes,but both are added to that previously announced class.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

X definitely deserves the honor.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Perhaps this is another reason we chose to remain committed to the CBE Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        X definitely deserves the honor.
        Absolutely, Sub. I don't pay that much attention to halls of fame and as a result don't really think about who's in and who isn't, but this seems like a pretty notable omission being corrected. Of course, if Elvin Hayes wasn't in there either, I guess it's hard to complain about X's absence -- how the heck could E (another one-letter guy!) not be in pretty much any basketball Hall of Fame?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Absolutely, Sub. I don't pay that much attention to halls of fame and as a result don't really think about who's in and who isn't, but this seems like a pretty notable omission being corrected. Of course, if Elvin Hayes wasn't in there either, I guess it's hard to complain about X's absence -- how the heck could E (another one-letter guy!) not be in pretty much any basketball Hall of Fame?
          I don't know much about this HOF, but I wonder if there's some sort of time frame before entry or if some guys simply manage to slip through somehow. Those two names are hard to slip through the cracks, but I have no idea how they go about nominating people or who is involved in the process.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I don't know much about this HOF, but I wonder if there's some sort of time frame before entry or if some guys simply manage to slip through somehow. Those two names are hard to slip through the cracks, but I have no idea how they go about nominating people or who is involved in the process.
            What kind of insurance does Gary do?

I thought he just did home/farm etc.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              What kind of insurance does Gary do?

I thought he just did home/farm etc.
              Check your PM.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Great honor for a great Shocker! Has anybody since X led the NCAAs in scoring and rebounding? I remember my brother and I anxiously watching and waiting for the season to end with him at the top of both boards and all the publicity he was getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                  Great honor for a great Shocker! Has anybody since X led the NCAAs in scoring and rebounding? I remember my brother and I anxiously watching and waiting for the season to end with him at the top of both boards and all the publicity he was getting.
                  Hank Gathers did it in 1988-89 and Kurt Thomas did it in 1994-95.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    Hank Gathers did it in 1988-89 and Kurt Thomas did it in 1994-95.
                    Yep, just did a quick search and saw that as well. THX!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                      IIRC some of the Loyola Marymount players did so but that had a lot more to do with their gimmicky system. I'm not sure if anyone else has truly accomplished the feat.

Comment

Awesome. well deserved!
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Congratulations X-man! :good:

Comment

I don't know what time frame is used for the honor, but the College Basketball Hall of Fame has only been around since 2006. X will be one of the youngest people inducted at age 50, just behind Christian Laettner (43), Wayman Tisdale (44), Danny Manning (47), and Chris Mullin (49), and right there with Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley.
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Fantastic. Always great when a Shocker is recognized and receives a significant honor.

Comment

Working...
                              X