Pre-season Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-season Ranking

SIAP, but I couldn't see that it was, using the SEARCH feature.

WSU #13 in USA Today dated June 19,2013

No. 13 Wichita State (30-9, lost in NCAA Final Four): It would be hard to ignore the Shockers and coach Gregg Marshall after the run they had to Atlanta this spring – and it will be hard to count them out this fall, too. Somehow, no matter what Marshall loses, he's able to piece together a talented team. After losing its top five scorers last season, Wichita State had its best season in program history, pulling off the major upset against No. 1 Gonzaga and nearly another against the top overall seed, Louisville, during the NCAA tournament run. Losing Carl Hall and Malcolm Armstead will hurt, but leading scorer Cleanthony Early (13.9 ppg) and standout freshman Ron Baker return. With Creighton leaving the Missouri Valley Conference, the league will be the Shockers' to lose.
    Creighton #23

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

I think someone was hoping Baker would start getting some press and this post confirms he is indeed getting his due. It will be interesting to see how the team fares in the rankings if they have another early season run like last year. With nine returning players, it would seem this year's squad should have a pretty good grasp of one another more so than the previous couple of years.

Comment

I don't want to go all "@WuDrWu:" or anything, but I predict we are ranked in the Top 5 before we lose this season. We will remain Top 10 most of the pre-conference. We will continue to win out in the Valley, but will drop in the rankings as teams behind us win tough games. We will be a 4 seed in the tourney, and have a chip on our shoulder as we should have been a 2.

Comment

Or we'll suffer the Gonzaga effect. Highly ranked non-BCS, gets 1 seed, bows out early, making voters apprehensive in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          Or we'll suffer the Gonzaga effect. Highly ranked non-BCS, gets 1 seed, bows out early, making voters apprehensive in the future.
          I'm afraid that the Gonzaga Effect is already in place. It's going to be really tough for any non-BCS team to get a one seed because of last year. I think a team would need to be darn near undefeated to get a one seed again as a non-BCS school.

That said, it kind of sucks because most people on this board think Gonzaga definitely deserved the one seed and was probably the toughest game besides Louisville.

Edit -- I'm realizing now that I think this is what you meant... I'm a dummy. I thought you were predicting it for our team.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
              I don't think we've been underseeded in any of our past 3 trips to the dance based on our Selection Sunday resume. I am confident that if we enter the tournament with only a couple losses we'd be no worse than a 2 seed.

The no respect card won't be as freely playable as it has been in the past.
              I agree, I think we've been right where we should be in terms of seeding.... I would be nice if we could pull a 3 seed or better this year, but by no means expecting it. I'd love some games closer to home. Going to Greensboro, D.C., Portland, Salt Lake, L.A. and Atlanta gets a bit expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                St Joes went to elite 8, right?

Comment

If we are a two seed its like the old Avis commercial " We're #2 We try harder"

Comment

I'm not over-concerned with the seeding as long as we make the field and have a chance to play well at the right time. In fact, being a bracket-breaking lower seed is kind of fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X