Pick Up Games - July 11, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Up Games - July 11, 2013

I watched the team play today from about 5:30 P.M. to 6:45 P.M.

The Shockers are a bunch of fine players and I am most excited about the upcoming season.

General

The players remind me of a high major team. (Please excuse my use of the term, "high major.")

As a group, this is what I see.

1. Very physical
    2. Fast
    3. Quick
    4. Big jumpers
    5. Very athletic
    6. Very aggressive
    7. Most all look like poster men for "Muscle and Fitness Magazine."
    8. Plays hard

There was not a single passive player on the floor or even just moderately aggressive.

Players

1. Kadeem - With respect to physical appearance, he is an exception to muscle comment above. He is smooth and a pretty big jumper. One of the gawkers said he will be an effective shot blocker. On the first offensive play of the game, the ball went inside to Kadeem. He went straight up with a nice hook shot and it softly landed in the net. Very smooth and pretty. He is listed at 251 pounds, but I do not believe it. Seems too high.

2. Rian - He said that his weight is up to 150. He is a 6 foot ball of fire and I expect he will be a crowd fav, before he graduates. With a running jump, he can dunk the ball. He is quick and fast. Very quick and very fast. He penetrated from the left side and Kadeem jumped in his path to defend. Rian put up the highest tear drop shot that I have ever seen. Swish. Little guys have been playing against big guys, since they we were six years old. The good ones know how to minimize the disadvantage.

3. Shaq Morris - He did not play. He has minor hamstring pull. He just messed around on the side. When there was a break in play, he launched a 3 ball. It missed the iron by 2'. I doubt, if he will be shooting from outside very often. His weight is at 285 pounds. The staff would like to see a weight of 260 pounds.

4. Watson - He was not present. Forgive me, I cannot remember his first name.

5. Derail Green - A very nice young man. Very nice. He came over to the gawkers side and shook hands with all four of us.

6. Tekele Cotton - He is cut. All man.

7. Fred Van Vleet - He has packed on weight and muscle. Solid.

8. Cleanthony Early - While I enjoyed his play last season, I was not enamored with him like most folks on this fine forum. Today I saw a different player from last season. He played with so much confidence. He knew he was the best player on the floor and he played like it. I dislike over the top terms to describe athletes, so I will not say he looked great. He was just extra good.

One of the onlookers said that a most valuable player award was not given at the Kevin Durant camp. However, he said that if one had been given, Cle would have won it.

9. Nick Wiggins - He was fun to watch. Very aggressive. His shooting was spotty. He scored several baskets on the front end of fast breaks. He made some very nice passes. He just might be the surprise player of the year for next season.

10. Evan Wessel, Zach Bush, Chadrack Lufile, Ron Baker - D.N.P.

11. Baby Blue Shoes - He was an interesting player. He is about 6-6. Very effective in driving the lane. I was told that he is a Butler County Juco player.

12. Darius Carter - Played. Nice frame. I did not notice him very often. It is not a criticism on him. I spent most of the time with learning names of the players.

13. D.J. Bowles - Not impressive this day. Pretty rough day.

14. Zach Brown - He played, but I did not notice him very often. I do not know why he was on campus a year early.

All - Shot making was pedestrian. Lots of fouls.

Last comment - If Coach Marshall chooses to do so, the Shockers will run a lot of teams into the floor this coming season - lots of talent and depth.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Doesn't this thread belong in the basketball forum.

Comment

What do you mean about Zach Brown being here a year early? He was a redshirt FR last year. He wasn't eligible to play because Washburn didn't release him from his LOI. He would have redshirt anyway.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Zach Bush or Zach Brown?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          What do you mean about Zach Brown being here a year early? He was a redshirt FR last year. He wasn't eligible to play because Washburn didn't release him from his LOI. He would have redshirt anyway.
          You're confusing Zach Bush and Zach Brown.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Damn it. My bad. I forgot about the reports elsewhere that Brown may be in town for the summer possibly taking some classes while playing some pickup ball. Great to hear about his dedication to being a Shocker if all of that is true.

Can I play the I'm tired card?
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

You're confusing Bush and Brown, Ricky's confusing baseball and basketball -- moderator! Help!

Comment

Is baby blue shoes maybe the friend of Shaq Morris that is walking on?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                  Is baby blue shoes maybe the friend of Shaq Morris that is walking on?

Simon is a 5-10 guard.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

According to the BCC roster, it could have been 6'6" Sean Ostler from Cheney, 6'7" Jordan Madrid-Andrews from Denver, 6'8" Zach Schraeder from Maize South, 6'6" Sean Goodwin from Hutch, or perhaps 6'4" Trent Richardson from Raytown. Everyone else was shorter that Trent on the roster. I'm assuming the roster is up to date. If it's a year behind still, it could be an incoming FR if he is in fact going to BCC.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Wow -- I'm surprised the Browns would let Trent Richardson spend his summers in Wichita. He could probably set quite a screen, though. (RTR -- right, small tyme?)

Seriously, for all the detectives out there, some of the guys in Sub's list are white and some are not. So that's probably a clue. Could we get a more detailed description of Mr. Blue Shoes, Ricky?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        You're confusing Bush and Brown, Ricky's confusing baseball and basketball -- moderator! Help!
                        As I explained to Kai, I take most of the blame, but Bill Gates gets some of the blame.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                          Wow -- I'm surprised the Browns would let Trent Richardson spend his summers in Wichita. He could probably set quite a screen, though. (RTR -- right, small tyme?)

Seriously, for all the detectives out there, some of the guys in Sub's list are white and some are not. So that's probably a clue. Could we get a more detailed description of Mr. Blue Shoes, Ricky?
                          I will try.

1. 6-6 - 6-7
                          2. Slender
                          3. Lots of tats on arms. In fact, arms are almost covered with tats.

He plays with so much aggressiveness, he surely is a 2 or 3.

He loves to penetrate. He does not look to put up an outside jumper. His first option is to drive.

I know this is not much help, but it is the best that I can do.

By the way, I failed to mention above that Carl Hall will be playing in Japan. He leaves next month.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

good for carl!

Comment

One more item.

There was some talk among the Gawkers about a photo of Andrew Wiggins. Apparently a photo was taken of Andrew and he was wearing a Shocker tee.

If anyone has the photo, please post it. It would be fun to have.
                              Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; July 12, 2013, 11:56 AM.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X