Bobby Wilson (Boston Celtics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Wilson (Boston Celtics)

I write for a well-known Celtics blog about former players and what they're up to nowadays. Some are more difficult to track down and I can't seem to find anything on Bobby Wilson, who played briefly for the Celtics back in the 70s. How is he not in the Wichita State Athletic Hall of Fame? I find it surprising considering according to basketball-reference, only 9 guys have made the NBA from Wichita State.

Anyone who remembers anything about Bobby, what type of player he was, please feel free to add it in here as well. He was a bit before my time and I didn't get a chance to see him play.

Thanks!

I vaguely remember from the late 60s/early 70s, but I was young and didn't follow the team as closely. The WSU website may have additional information on him. The first reference I found listed him as one of 27 players to be named first team All-Missouri Valley but doesn't list the year.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=6 22960&SPID=2851&SPSID=61188

T
    here is probably more on him on the site, but I didn't dig that much...

Good luck...
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
      I vaguely remember from the late 60s/early 70s, but I was young and didn't follow the team as closely. The WSU website may have additional information on him. The first reference I found listed him as one of 27 players to be named first team All-Missouri Valley but doesn't list the year.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=6 22960&SPID=2851&SPSID=61188

T
      here is probably more on him on the site, but I didn't dig that much...

Good luck...
      Very cool, thank you! Any idea why he's not in the WSU Athletic Hall of Fame?

I was a big fan of Antoine Carr and X-Man growing up! Two really talented guys. I know the Celtics inked Carr to an offer sheet before the 88 season I do believe. He might have really made a difference on those squads since the Celtics' back-ups were weak.

Comment

Your best bet for any information is probabaly to contact the long-time voice of the Shockers and I beleive a member of the WSU Hall of Fame nominating committee Mike Kennedy.

mikekennedywsu@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Your best bet for any information is probabaly to contact the long-time voice of the Shockers and I beleive a member of the WSU Hall of Fame nominating committee Mike Kennedy.

mikekennedywsu@yahoo.com
          Thank you so much!

Comment

Bob Wilson (1972-1974) is mentioned in several places in the 2012-13 Wichita State Men's Basketball Fact Book:
            http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/843ba17d?DB_OEM_ID=7500#/843ba17d/1

1973 All-MVC First Team (History p.12, 62/109);
            Shockers in the Pros (History p.21, 71/109);
            Starter on '72-'73 teams, 17.6 ppg in '72-'73 as a Jr.; 20.0 ppg in '73-'74 as a Sr. (History p.36, 86/109);
            Listed as 4th all-time in Free Throw Percentage for a Season, 88.3% in '73-'74 (Records p.3, 95/109);
            Listed as 4th all-time in Scoring Average for Career, 18.8 ppg (Records p.4, 96/109);
            1974 recipient of Wichita Eagle MVP award, shared with Rich Morsden (Records p.5, 97/109);
            in the 30-plus Point Club with 32 points v. West Texas State on Feb. 28, 1974
            and 30 points v. Tulsa on Feb. 21, 1974 (Records p.14, 106/109).
            "If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by SumShocker View Post
              Bob Wilson (1972-1974) is mentioned in several places in the 2012-13 Wichita State Men's Basketball Fact Book:
              http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/843ba17d?DB_OEM_ID=7500#/843ba17d/1

1973 All-MVC First Team (History p.12, 62/109);
              Shockers in the Pros (History p.21, 71/109);
              Starter on '72-'73 teams, 17.6 ppg in '72-'73 as a Jr.; 20.0 ppg in '73-'74 as a Sr. (History p.36, 86/109);
              Listed as 4th all-time in Free Throw Percentage for a Season, 88.3% in '73-'74 (Records p.3, 95/109);
              Listed as 4th all-time in Scoring Average for Career, 18.8 ppg (Records p.4, 96/109);
              1974 recipient of Wichita Eagle MVP award, shared with Rich Morsden (Records p.5, 97/109);
              in the 30-plus Point Club with 32 points v. West Texas State on Feb. 28, 1974
              and 30 points v. Tulsa on Feb. 21, 1974 (Records p.14, 106/109).

Great stuff, thank you for your help!

I also emailed Mike Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by tb727 View Post
                Very cool, thank you! Any idea why he's not in the WSU Athletic Hall of Fame?

I was a big fan of Antoine Carr and X-Man growing up! Two really talented guys. I know the Celtics inked Carr to an offer sheet before the 88 season I do believe. He might have really made a difference on those squads since the Celtics' back-ups were weak.
                I really don't know why Bob Wilson is not in except for the fact that he played on losing teams and he was a PG, and WSU had quite a few very good PGs in the 60s and 70s. One in particular that came in right behind him - Cal Bruton took the team to a Valley Championship and NCAA tournament in 1976 for the first time in over 10 years. And with the MTXE (Carr, Levingston, McDaniel) era following close behind that, Bob Wilson probably got lost in all the excitement of so many other players. He played in the sandwich era of losing teams between two legendary periods...
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                  I really don't know why Bob Wilson is not in except for the fact that he played on losing teams and he was a PG, and WSU had quite a few very good PGs in the 60s and 70s. One in particular that came in right behind him - Cal Bruton took the team to a Valley Championship and NCAA tournament in 1976 for the first time in over 10 years. And with the MTXE (Carr, Levingston, McDaniel) era following close behind that, Bob Wilson probably got lost in all the excitement of so many other players. He played in the sandwich era of losing teams between two legendary periods...
                  Minor point. I don't think that Bob Wilson was a point guard. I think that Preston Carrington was the point guard at that time.

Comment

The very first time I seen him play for the Shocks, I knew he was to be a special player. It is also vague to me but I thought he was a Juco Transfer and was he from Colorado? Not sure, but Bob Wilson could shoot the rock and score. Mike Kennedy is beyond awesome remembering such details. You are on the right path of research by contacting him.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I thought he played for the Bulls

Comment

Thank you so much for all this invaluable information! Certainly once I get around to writing and finishing the article I will post it in this thread, and give a shout-out to this great blog.

Also it's been remarkably challenging finding pictures for Bobby! Certainly none in a Celtics' uniform, which is fine since not all my articles have pics of guys in their uniforms. But all I have is attached here to this point, a picture of his old Bulls' jersey. Anyone know of any photos I can include? Bobby Wilson 2.jpg

Comment

He did but he had a stint with the Celtics. Here is the entire index of Celtics' guys I've written on (please note: I didn't name the title of these articles but they're wildly popular with our fans):

Comment

Comment

Bob Wilson

My vague recollection is that Bob Wilson was from Chicago. It's a real stretch , & I cud be wrong, but that's what I remember about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X