Rule Changes for '13-'14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Changes for '13-'14

Below I will post news about rule changes for the upcoming season.

I have edited out text, which talks about women's basketball rule changes.

I do not have a link for the NCAA news release because the information was sent to me as an email message without a link.
    PROP approves ruleschanges for men’s and women’s basketball

By Greg Johnson
    NCAA.org

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which met via conferencecall June 24, approved a change to how block/charge calls will be made in men’sbasketball and added a 10-second backcourt rule in women’s basketball,effective for the 2013-14 season.

Under the revised block/charge call in men’s basketball, adefensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive playeronce he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal orpass. If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time,it is a blocking foul.
    Previously, a defender had to be in legal guarding position whenthe offensive player lifted off the floor.

The Men’s Basketball Rules Committee believes this will giveofficials more time to determine block/charge calls. Committee members alsobelieve the tweak to the block/charge rule will:
    • Allow for more offensive freedom;
    • Provide clarity for officials in making this difficult call; and
    • Enhance the balance between offense and defense.
    In Division I games last season, the average amount of pointsscored in games was 67.5. This is the lowest amount since the 1981-82 season whenteams averaged 67.6 points per game. The points-per-game average has alsodipped in each of the last four seasons at the Division I level.
    With these facts in mind, much of the committee’s discussion inMay focused on ways to open up the game. To that end, it will be stressedto officials that they must address the current rules throughout the game. Thefollowing types of personal fouls should be called consistently:
    • When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent;
    • When a defensive player puts two hands on an opponent;
    • When a defensive player continually jabs by extending his arm(s) and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent;
    • When a player uses an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.

Monitor reviews
    In men’s and women’s basketball, the panel approved monitorreviews in the last two minutes of regulation and overtime so officials canlook to see if a shot clock violation occurred and to determine who caused theball to go out of bounds on a deflection involving two or more players.
    Additionally, it was approved that when officials have a questionas to whether a shot was 2-point or a 3-point field goal, they will be allowedto signal to the scorer’s table that the play will be reviewed during the nextmedia timeout. The Big Ten Conference successfully experimented with this ruleduring the season in 2012-13.
    In the last four minutes of the game and the entire overtime,officials will go to the monitor immediately to look for indisputable evidenceas to how many points should be awarded for a field goal.
    In both men’s and women’s basketball, the use of the monitor wasapproved to determine which player committed a foul when there is uncertaintyafter a call has been made. Previously, officials were only permitted to usethe monitor to determine the free-throw shooter.
    Elbow rules
    In men’s and women’s basketball, panel members approved a tweak tothe rules regarding elbow contact above the shoulders.
    In these circumstances, officials may use the monitor todetermine if a flagrant foul has been committed.
    Officials will determine if the contact was a flagrant 2, flagrant1, common foul or no call. When the officials use the monitor to review asituation that is not called on the floor, the only options are flagrant 2,flagrant 1 or no foul.
    In a flagrant 1 situation, the player who was struck is awardedtwo free throws and his or her team gets possession of the ball.
    In a flagrant 2 situation, free throws and possession are awardedand the player who threw the elbow is ejected from the game.
    The men’s and women’s basketball committees felt theoriginal intent of the elbow rules have caused too many flagrant fouls beingcalled when they weren’t appropriate. The intent of the elbow rule has alwaysbeen to protect players and eliminate the rip move where players were makingcontact above the shoulders of defenders.
    By allowing officials to review these plays on the monitor, bothcommittees believe it will eliminate the non-deserving flagrant 1 fouls inparticular.
    Last edited by ShockBand; June 25, 2013, 07:29 PM. Reason: Fix font colors
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

_kai_

Please cancel this thread. I have no idea what went wrong. Horribly wrong.

Never mind kai. I think I have the proper link.

Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; June 25, 2013, 04:02 PM.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      _kai_

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+backcourt+rul
      Use a different color. The colors that show up when writing the thread are those that do not show up well after posting...and vice versa.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Edit the original post, highlight the parts that are black font on a black background, and change the color to white or yellow or about anything other than black.

I highlight the black on black portions (as if I were going to copy them, which makes them readable because selected text here is displayed in light blue.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Ricky, a good find. I didn't notice any rule changes for the karate kick. Did I miss it?
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Was very good at using the Armbar to my advantage, though I do agree it should be banned.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I had to mention the new proposed rule to Jake White. I told him I thought it would help him since it seemed the rule last year for him was that Jake White is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has entered the arena. I think Jake will get a kick out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                _kai_

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+backcourt+rul
                Here's an update. It looks like the rules mentioned in the link above were approved were approved.

An NCAA panel voted Monday to expand the use of replay review in college basketball, and instituted the 10-second backcourt rule for the women's game.

INDIANAPOLIS -- An NCAA panel voted Monday to expand the use of replay review in college basketball, and instituted the 10-second backcourt rule for the women's game.

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel also approved a tweak to the charging-blocking foul in the men's game and gave referees leeway when it comes to penalties for accidentally elbowing an opponent above the shoulders.
                The approved changes from the panel's conference call are effective immediately.

Under the replay change, officials can use video review to confirm a shot-clock violation or determine who caused the ball to go out of bounds on a deflection involving two or more players in the final two minutes of regulation or overtime.
                And here's an ncaa.org link

Comment

I wish the men's rules would have included this one from the women's rules.

Women’s basketball media timeouts

When a team-called timeout occurs within or up to 30 seconds of the scheduled media timeout (first dead ball under the 16-, 12-, 8-, and 4-minute marks), it becomes the subsequent media timeout with the exception of the first team-called timeout in the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                    Thanks for sharing Ricky, a good find. I didn't notice any rule changes for the karate kick. Did I miss it?
                    Exactly. They need something like:

When commencing a Wing Chun Forward Flying Death Kick to the Head, if the Furious Striking Eagle Talon misses it's target and contact is made to the chest instead, it shall be deemed a Flagrant 1. If, however, proper technique is utilized and the lethal death blow to the head makes contact, it shall be deemed a Flagrant 2 and the player commencing the foul will have to sit the remainder of the game.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I haven't heard much of what you all think of the block/charge changes. I personally like them. Whatever makes it easier for the officials to call it consistently is fine by me. It was getting ridiculous this past year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                        I haven't heard much of what you all think of the block/charge changes. I personally like them. Whatever makes it easier for the officials to call it consistently is fine by me. It was getting ridiculous this past year.
                        Honestly the refs were pretty consistent. You just have to interpret the rule like this: If the defensive player is wearing a Shocker uniform, it's a blocking foul, otherwise it's a charge. I think they got it right 90% of the time if you just look at it like that.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

And if Jake White is the defender, it is a blocking call even if his feet have been superglued to the floor from the time the offensive player left the toilet in the locker room.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I can't find a link yet but I've been told by important people that the Valley is again looking to add a 10th team.

Details to come.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              I can't find a link yet but I've been told by important people that the Valley is again looking to add a 10th team.

Details to come.

Inquiring minds want to know, Doc -- who are the nine at this point?

Comment

Working...
                              X