Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Summer Conference Catch Up

Too much talk about Cr8ton.

You know...we could (AND SHOULD) roll through the Valley next year and have it be a bad thing. Don't get me wrong. I'd love nothing more than a 32-2ish type record, going into Selection Sunday...but I am afraid that we might get Gonzaga treatment next year...a team with a gawdy record who gets talked about being overrated once that high seed in the NCAA Tournament is attained. We could be so much better next year recordwise and then not get the breaks and bounces to go our way in the NCAA Tournament, causing some disappointment. That's one of the great and also unfortunate things about a sudden-death postseason. One less-than-stellar day can essentially erase 4-5 months of great work.

Have I mentioned that I hate the Valley?
    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      You know...we could (AND SHOULD) roll through the Valley next year and have it be a bad thing. Don't get me wrong. I'd love nothing more than a 32-2ish type record, going into Selection Sunday...but I am afraid that we might get Gonzaga treatment next year...a team with a gawdy record who gets talked about being overrated once that high seed in the NCAA Tournament is attained. We could be so much better next year recordwise and then not get the breaks and bounces to go our way in the NCAA Tournament, causing some disappointment. That's one of the great and also unfortunate things about a sudden-death postseason. One less-than-stellar day can essentially erase 4-5 months of great work.

That's true...probably always true actually. That being said, I'd take my chances against a 15 then 7 seed, thank you very much may I have another.

Comment

And yes, you have. Join the club.

Comment

Definite possibility... We're loading up as much as possible in the non-con. I don't see 32-2, but I do see us very strong in the non-con, then cruising through the Valley. It's all about momentum, and we don't want to a repeat of our 2012 NCAA tourney results...

I would almost hope if we are playing as well as we expect to have Evansville or SIU punk us again late in the season, just to keep us honest.... Of course the team does have to actually play these games for all of this speculation to mean anything.

Will be interesting to see the non-con schedules of the other Valley teams and whether they are trying to go strong (ala 2006) or not..
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            That's true...probably always true actually. That being said, I'd take my chances against a 15 then 7 seed, thank you very much may I have another.
            Agreed. People may call Gonzaga overrated, but the selection committee has been willing to consistently give them decent seeds, so if we get put in the same category, that is hardly the worst thing in the world even if any given year we fail to make a deep run.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I think this guy did a pretty good job with the story. Really though, Creighton was definitely our biggest competition last year (other than Colt Ryan). It sucks to have them gone, so it looks like we'll have to run away with the league title. But like the writer said, can we handle this huge target on our back? Can we keep our name high up on the list, even if the Valley eats itself to death again?

I personally hope we just dominate for a few years. And our non-con is shaping up to be pretty good.

Comment

It's easier to dismiss Gonzaga when they haven't been to the Elite 8 since 1999, and never further.

Would be tougher to dismiss a team coming off a Final Four run with the wins we had and the way we played Louisville.

There would be questions, but Gonzaga's success has been more about consistent quality than extreme success. If we have a gaudy record AND finished last season ranked #4 .... that's different than a gaudy record and yearly early exits.

(Doesn't mean 'Zaga isn't a great program, but for a team that makes the tournament every season, three Sweet 16 runs since '99 and no trips further helps further the perception that they're bullying a weak conference and aren't as good as their record says. You can bully a conference, but you need to win in the tournament as well.)
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

One of the few things they got right was leaving UNI out of the top 5.

But make no flipping mistake, healthy, we're going to boatrace this league next season. Hide the women and children.

Comment

One of the few things they got right was leaving UNI out of the top 5.

But make no flipping mistake, healthy, we're going to boatrace this league next season. Hide the women and children.
                    What's your top five looking like? I feel like WSU has a pretty good lead on Indiana State ... and the difference between Indiana State and the #3 team should be pretty huge. After that, everyone was either terrible last year or lost a ton.

I could make a good argument for about six or seven teams playing on Thursday next year ...
                    Originally posted by BleacherReport
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      What's your top five looking like? I feel like WSU has a pretty good lead on Indiana State ... and the difference between Indiana State and the #3 team should be pretty huge. After that, everyone was either terrible last year or lost a ton.

I could make a good argument for about six or seven teams playing on Thursday next year ...
                      1. WSU
                      2. Indiana State
                      3. Bradley
                      4. Missouri State
                      5. Evansville
                      6. Illinois State
                      7. Northern Iowa
                      8. Loyola
                      9. Drake
                      10. SIU

Obviously I believe it's going to take something more than a little odd to knock the Shocks out of first. Likewise, I think Indiana State is a strong 2. 3-7 are all interchangeable. Literally no mixup of that order would surprise me.

I will however, be surprised if the bottom 3 are anyone other than Loyola, Drake and SIU. Unless Muller recreates his trainwreck of last year. Something not all out of the question.

Comment

1. WSU
                        2. Indiana State
                        3. Bradley
                        4. Missouri State
                        5. Evansville
                        6. Illinois State
                        7. Northern Iowa
                        8. Loyola
                        9. Drake
                        10. SIU

Obviously I believe it's going to take something more than a little odd to knock the Shocks out of first. Likewise, I think Indiana State is a strong 2. 3-7 are all interchangeable. Literally no mixup of that order would surprise me.

I will however, be surprised if the bottom 3 are anyone other than Loyola, Drake and SIU. Unless Muller recreates his trainwreck of last year. Something not all out of the question.
                        That's the first time I've ever read that list without Creighton.

Weeeiiiird.

Comment

1. WSU
                          2. Indiana State
                          3. Bradley
                          4. Missouri State
                          5. Evansville
                          6. Illinois State
                          7. Northern Iowa
                          8. Loyola
                          9. Drake
                          10. SIU

In addition to knowing almost nothing about Loyola, I am unimpressed with UNI, Bradley, MSU, and UE. Ill St is getting some new talent, but with the blow-up of the team, I don't expect them to be good this year.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                            It's easier to dismiss Gonzaga when they haven't been to the Elite 8 since 1999, and never further.

Would be tougher to dismiss a team coming off a Final Four run with the wins we had and the way we played Louisville.

There would be questions, but Gonzaga's success has been more about consistent quality than extreme success. If we have a gaudy record AND finished last season ranked #4 .... that's different than a gaudy record and yearly early exits.

(Doesn't mean 'Zaga isn't a great program, but for a team that makes the tournament every season, three Sweet 16 runs since '99 and no trips further helps further the perception that they're bullying a weak conference and aren't as good as their record says. You can bully a conference, but you need to win in the tournament as well.)
                            I think that's a key point--bullying your league. Gonzaga did that and lost in our Sweet 16 matchup. We lost to SIU and Evansville and people were shocked we were winning big in the NCAA and thought we didn't belong--remember all the questions about our losses?

The difference was the leagues we played in. Gonzaga was able to dominate but their league play does not prep them for the tournament. Although I don't care for the Valley, we have found the recipe to win requires a more physical style and referees that allow us to play. That is why I have always felt confident about our chances of winning when we get to the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
                              I think that's a key point--bullying your league. Gonzaga did that and lost in our Sweet 16 matchup. We lost to SIU and Evansville and people were shocked we were winning big in the NCAA and thought we didn't belong--remember all the questions about our losses?

The difference was the leagues we played in. Gonzaga was able to dominate but their league play does not prep them for the tournament. Although I don't care for the Valley, we have found the recipe to win requires a more physical style and referees that allow us to play. That is why I have always felt confident about our chances of winning when we get to the NCAA tournament.
                              While the Valley was the 9th ranked conference, the WCC was 10th. I will give you that the Valley is much more balanced and provides tougher games overall, but Gonzaga did a lot of "prep work" in the OOC with a SoS OOC of 33, WSU SoS OOC 68. Overall, WSU was 2-2 (1-25) and 1-0 (26-50) for a 5 game total of 3-2, while Gonzaga was 1-1 (1-25) and 5-1 (26-50), for an 8 game total of 6-2. Against 51-100, WSU was 5-3, Gonzaga was 5-0. So, against the top 100, WSU was 8-5 and Gonzaga 11-2. I think both teams were well aware of what it takes to win against top opponents.

Comment

Working...
                              X