Smithson (the elder) a HoF nominee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elder Gene Smithson in the Shocker HOF

For those of you who listen to Shocktalk, I was the one that called in before the Bradley game to comment on trying to get Gene Smithon into the Hall of Fame.

I pointed out how well Gene was received by our fans during his return to Wichita back in December. Everyone points out that WSU went on probation during his tenure, and that recruiting violations led to the black cloud handing over the program and those who remember those years.

Many of these violations occurred during the Harry Miller's tenure. Unfortunatly, Ozell Jones's high transcript, purchasing a coat for a player, etc were what I was aware of that occurred during Gene Smithson' tenure.

Gene Smithson put WSU basketball back on the map during the 80's. He is the first coach to have three consecutive 20 win seasons, with Mark Turgeon being the second. He has the second most wins in WSU History next to Ralph Miller.

Time heals wounds and history will show that his legacy and what he accomplished cannot be ignored. He belongs in the HOF and WSU needs to put its pride aside and recognize this man for what he did.

Mike Kennedy stated during his comments to me on the air that many of those who represent the HOF Committee look at how an individual carries himself not only professionally but also off the court. We all know some of things that led to Gene's firing (Graduation Rates, declining record, and lack of recruiting). But again, it has been over 20 years since Gene was fired, and I think we all as Shocker Sports fans need to get on the bandwagon and see what we can do ring the bell and get those who represent the HOF to take a hard look at Gene and get him in the HOF.

Comment

How Mike and Dave answered the question was about as well as you could. There are positives and negatives with him and it's tough to say how the future looks as far as the WSU HOF goes. He did do a lot of good here. But you can't just forget about the bad.

Personally, I wouldn't complain if he got in. But I also perfectly understand if he doesn't ever get in.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Sub, I agree with you. Would love to see him in, but understand if he doesn't.

Comment

Gene might have done some wrong but I believe he put us on the map and did alot for Wichita State...But we all have own own opinions on this one..

Comment

I am all for Smithson (the Elder) in the Shocker HoF and doing it while he's able to enjoy the recognition.

It was a different era in 1979 when Smithson signed Carr and Levingston. That was also the year ESPN appeared on cable TV. Basketball and the NCAA were pretty much ruled by a good ol boy network. They would never rat each other out, but if an upstart like WSU got recruits they wanted, the full weight of the NCAA was brought to bear on the offender.

The NCAA put WSU under a microscope for 2 years before they found enough to impose sanctions. I expect that about 90% of college basketball programs would have had more serious violations than WSU if they had been investigated as thoroughly and long as WSU. Smithson's success got the attention of the good ol boys who brought in the NCAA to put WSU back in its place.

As to Gene's loyalty to the Candle Club and several other local watering holes, that cost him a lot of support in the community, which led to his departure. That doesn't undo the success he had on the court at WSU. Gene deserves this recognition.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
              How Mike and Dave answered the question was about as well as you could. There are positives and negatives with him and it's tough to say how the future looks as far as the WSU HOF goes. He did do a lot of good here. But you can't just forget about the bad.

Personally, I wouldn't complain if he got in. But I also perfectly understand if he doesn't ever get in.
              The school doesn't seem to have any problem recognizing the players who played for him or the Championship and Tournament games he won.; or the jerseys of those players who hang from the rafters. It's hypocritical to have Gene bear the burden of an INSTITUTIONAL problem.

And let's not forget the success that one Eddie Fogler had with Gene's players after he left.....
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
              X