Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The WSU basketball budget only $3.1 mil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The WSU basketball budget only $3.1 mil?

I know our total athletic budget is something like $20 mil, but I was guessing basketball got a very large chunk of it. If you split that 15 different ways for each of our sports, the number appears flawed.
    Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
    Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

That's an article that was running the media circles during our FF run, and no it's not remotely accurate. According to the US Dept of Ed and their related website (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/) WSU men's basketball had expenses of $4,644,724 and revenues of $5,071,471 in the year ending 07/2012.

Here's the entire MVC as of that snapshot in time:

School - Revenues - Expenses

Bradley - $3,871,835 - $3,846,345
    Creighton - $5,152,031 - $4,404,350
    Drake - $2,122,856 - $2,226,291
    Evansville -$2,133,520 -$2,133,520
    Illinois State -$2,183,876 - $2,183,876
    Indiana State -$1,704,707 - $1,704,707
    Missouri State - $1,899,281 - $1,926,274
    Northern Iowa - $2,449,710 - $2,449,710
    Southern Illinois -$2,063,684 - $2,063,684
    Wichita State - $5,071,471 - $4,644,724

And hence you can see the origin of the "poor sisters" comments with regards to our conference bretheren. With CU now gone, Bradley is the only school coming close to trying to compete. We're the guy with the $500K home in the starter home subdivision.

Interestingly, according to Marshall's contract which I touched on in a previous thread, 3G made more in combined salary and bonuses this past season than ISUb's ENTIRE men's basketball budget, and not far from MSU's.
    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 20, 2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I would not be surprised it our MBB budget minus the salary of all coaches was 3.1 million.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
        That's an article that was running the media circles during our FF run, and no it's not remotely accurate. According to the US Dept of Ed and their related website (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/) WSU men's basketball had expenses of $4,644,724 and revenues of $5,071,471 in the year ending 07/2012.

And hence you can see the origin of the "poor sisters" comments with regards to our conference bretheren. With CU now gone, Bradley is the only school coming close to trying to compete. We're the guy with the $500K home in the starter home subdivision.

Interestingly, according to Marshall's contract which I touched on in a previous thread, 3G made more in combined salary and bonuses this past season than ISUb's ENTIRE men's basketball budget, and not far from MSU's.
        Just to be clear, those are the latest statistics and from 2011-2012. Will be interesting to see what 2012-2013 looks like when the numbers are available. I wonder how much upside there is for revenues (how close we might be to a ceiling) and when escalating coaches salaries might start to impact our ability to run a surplus..
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          Just to be clear, those are the latest statistics and from 2011-2012. Will be interesting to see what 2012-2013 looks like when the numbers are available. I wonder how much upside there is for revenues (how close we might be to a ceiling) and when escalating coaches salaries might start to impact our ability to run a surplus..
          Where in the scheme of things does the $312,000 raised at the 3G Auction appear. Is it considered in the revenues or is it outside the budget?
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
            I can't imagine we won't be averaging a sell-out next year, even with higher prices, and so we aren't at our ceiling yet.

I'm not sure where that ceiling would be. We really, really need TV revenue so that the entire burden of running a successful program isn't on ticket sales.
            Originally posted by BleacherReport
            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

WOW that is a HUGE difference between what WSU spends on basketball and everyone else. If you take out Bu, WSU & CU basically spends twice as much or more than everyone else in the Valley. It is very surprising that if we are spending that much more than everyone else that we have NEVER won the Valley tournament in St. Louis. Don't get me wrong as long as we can get to the final 4, I could care less about winning in the Lou. But it seems like with what we are spending we should be doing a little better there.

Looking at Indy State's pitiful budget, how in the world does WSU not totally stomp them each year? (WSU basketball revenue is almost triple that of the Sycs).

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                WOW that is a HUGE difference between what WSU spends on basketball and everyone else. If you take out Bu, WSU & CU basically spends twice as much or more than everyone else in the Valley. It is very surprising that if we are spending that much more than everyone else that we have NEVER won the Valley tournament in St. Louis. Don't get me wrong as long as we can get to the final 4, I could care less about winning in the Lou. But it seems like with what we are spending we should be doing a little better there.

Looking at Indy State's pitiful budget, how in the world does WSU not totally stomp them each year? (WSU basketball revenue is almost triple that of the Sycs).
                Interesting that you bring this subject up regarding the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

Coach Marshall's new salary won't be too far off the overall budget of most Valley basketball teams ...

Also, most of those numbers are manipulated to provide a perfect zero in revenue - expenses. Which means those programs either make less revenue than they're reporting, and are bringing that revenue in from outside sources to balance the budget, or they have less expenses and are sending that money to outside sources (football, etc.) to balance other budgets.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                  X