Dick Vitale Top 40 2013-2014 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Vitale Top 40 2013-2014 Season

Most of the recruits have committed and players have declared for the NBA draft, which means it's time to take an early look at the best teams in college basketball in 2013-14, starting with John Calipari's reloaded Kentucky squad.

Has us at # 19.
    Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

His analysis after #14 gets pretty weak. Maybe The Broken Egg was tired of him squatting at a table and asked him to hurry and finish.
    "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

We go to the Final Four and come in at 19. UConn and Baylor come in at 16 and 17. Granted, Baylor did finally pull their heads out of their butts and win the NIT. But what the hell makes UConn the #16 team? Other than that, I don't have any huge issues...
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Last Season the Shockers rating seemed to be a 'cloak-and-dagger ranking approach.' We lost 5 of our top 7 scorers and were picked only 4th in the Valley. We have 4 starters out lots of games but win our fair-share of games through it all. One starter, Wessel, never made it back from his injury and he was really playing solid. Ron Baker misses 21 games and returns finally around the Lew. Through it all, we enter the Dance as a 9th seed. We are suddenly cloaked as a solid defensive team that was destined to Dance, but not ranked all that high. We flew under the radar for a spell but were now at least raising some eyebrows.

Enter secret weapon #1. As 3G kept fortelling us--"this squad has not reached it's peak as of yet." Enter Secret weapon #2-- Ron Baker is getting in a groove which really begins to bond our rotation on both sides of the floor. Next, enter Early who is never late to such a big Dance who really played some great games at this tourney.

Thus the daggers begin. We beat Pitt handily as Cotton plays some great defense on their top player and holds him to a mild roar. Next, La Salle seemed unsure of who we were and confident they could beat us. Nope!!! Not this here Dance they don't. Next, enter the Zags, the #1 seed. Now we are in big trouble because #9 seeds rarely beat #1 seeds? Ooops, the Shockers made at gallant comeback at the end with a grand finale finish. Now enter Ohio State, the #2 seed and the Shocks hold on for another sweet win against the team that not only won the Big 10 Tourney but had around a 13 game winning streak.

Our beloved Shocks that were cloaked with solid rankings before are winning with dagger performances. However, along the way, the cynics kept exclaiming the ride was over and they sure won't win the next game they kept saying. The fans of the teams we beat seemed to just think they were really off that night but actually our Defense, our quality depth, and peaking at the right places at the right time had much to do with this. Louisville did beat us but we gave them The test of their Dancing.

In conclusion, Coach Marshall was my pick for National Coach Of the Year. Based on where we were supposed finish in the Valley, and where we ended up ranked when the black and yellow curtains closed for a Banner Season, he earned my vote and our Shockers earned the respect and publicity that many teams only dream of. The rankings at the end is what really counts the most and we did great. What will we do for an encore? Stay tuned.
        Last edited by forevershockerfan; May 2, 2013, 10:21 PM.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
          Next, La Salle seemed unsure of who we were and confident they could beat us. Nope!!! Not this here Dance they don't. Next, enter the Zags, the #1 seed. Now we are in big trouble because #9 seeds rarely beat #1 seeds? Ooops, the Shockers made at gallant comeback at the end with a grand finale finish.
          Beat the Zags before La Salle ;)
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

#19 is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
              Beat the Zags before La Salle ;)
              Yes, my handy dandy "Winning Angry" book just refreshed my disarranged but dissipating memory. Yikes.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

We are always underrated, except for the 06/07 season, but we blew that in Vegas. There was no mention of the new recruits in the article. Anyone named Shaquille has an automatic goal to live up to the namesake. We are not rebuilding, merely reloading, and I trust Coach Marshall to have the team ready to play when the season gets here. He will take care of all of the details, and I think that once again, we will surprise all the analysts with our team. I expect us to again get to the Big Dance, but don't know, at this point, just how far we will go.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
                  We are always underrated, except for the 06/07 season, but we blew that in Vegas. There was no mention of the new recruits in the article. Anyone named Shaquille has an automatic goal to live up to the namesake. We are not rebuilding, merely reloading, and I trust Coach Marshall to have the team ready to play when the season gets here. He will take care of all of the details, and I think that once again, we will surprise all the analysts with our team. I expect us to again get to the Big Dance, but don't know, at this point, just how far we will go.
                  oklahoma big school player-of-the-year
                  legit 1st team juco all-American
                  florida (via tennesse) hot shot
                  north carolina hotshot
                  solid, experienced post man coming on board..

combined with what the shockers return from a very legit final four team, and all dickie can rank them is #19? that is an effing joke.

Comment

Let's just cut Dickie V some slack. After all, he was really just trying to enjoy his omelet.
                    "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                      oklahoma big school player-of-the-year
                      legit 1st team juco all-American
                      florida (via tennesse) hot shot
                      north carolina hotshot
                      solid, experienced post man coming on board..

combined with what the shockers return from a very legit final four team, and all dickie can rank them is #19? that is an effing joke.
                      I can't believe how some on this board think that making the F4 and playing an excellent game against Louisville, automatically validates the Shockers as a juggernaut. Just how did you feel about our team when they finished the regular season and Valley tourney 7-6? I'm sure many pundits, BCS bias aside, are wondering which team shows up this year. I'm as excited about our newcomers as anyone, but until I see how well they mesh in and just how good they are, I will be cautious about there greatness. I'm sure UK fans thought they had a great recruiting class last year as well and that class got them a 1st round loss in the NIT to Robert Morris.

We believe in HCGM, we believe in our returners, and we believe in our newcomers. That's as it should be. This year will be key to the Shockers getting the kind of respect by those outside of Shocker Nation that you are looking for this year. #19 is NO effing joke. Not saying we won't be better than that, not saying we'll be worse. What we'll really see this year is just how big an impact Ron Baker (and Evan) will make on a full year. I think having Ron back was a huge part of our F4 run. I believe it will also be a huge part of the success of the coming season.

:poster_wu: :poster_shocks:

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        I can't believe how some on this board think that making the F4 and playing an excellent game against Louisville, automatically validates the Shockers as a juggernaut. Just how did you feel about our team when they finished the regular season and Valley tourney 7-6? I'm sure many pundits, BCS bias aside, are wondering which team shows up this year. I'm as excited about our newcomers as anyone, but until I see how well they mesh in and just how good they are, I will be cautious about there greatness. I'm sure UK fans thought they had a great recruiting class last year as well and that class got them a 1st round loss in the NIT to Robert Morris.

We believe in HCGM, we believe in our returners, and we believe in our newcomers. That's as it should be. This year will be key to the Shockers getting the kind of respect by those outside of Shocker Nation that you are looking for this year. #19 is NO effing joke. Not saying we won't be better than that, not saying we'll be worse. What we'll really see this year is just how big an impact Ron Baker (and Evan) will make on a full year. I think having Ron back was a huge part of our F4 run. I believe it will also be a huge part of the success of the coming season.

:poster_wu: :poster_shocks:
                        yes, it is a joke. obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          #19 is a joke.
                          Calm down, Sally

Comment

We don't need to be ranked high. Remember how that worked for us during the season? Ranked 15 and then drop 3 in a row to lousy MVC teams. The Final Four is all that mattered in the end. If we are ranked, fine. If we aren't, time to play with a chip on our shoulder again. It works.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                              Calm down, Sally
                              okay, nancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X