Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's Jason King on the Shockers

April 29, 2013

Wichita State Shockers: There's a strong chance that next season's Shockers could be even better than the unit that lost to Louisville in this year's Final Four. Losing bruising forward Carl Hall and court leader Malcolm Armstead will hurt, but Gregg Marshall's team will return all of its other key parts. Cleanthony Early, who had 25 points and 10 rebounds against Louisville, is an NBA-caliber small forward. Ron Baker ignited the Shockers' NCAA tournament run with his prowess from beyond the arc, and point guard Fred VanVleet logged valuable minutes as a freshman backing up Armstead at point guard. Tekele Cotton is a returning starter who helps set the tone defensively. Standout shooter Evan Wessel, who redshirted this season, also returns. Look for 6-foot-9 Louisiana-Lafayette transfer Kadeem Coleby to replace Hall in the paint. Colby has spent the past season working out with the Shockers, and Marshall couldn't be more impressed. Chipola (Fla.) Junior College transfer Earl Watson will also be in the mix down low.

Kai - If this has been posted elsewhere, please delete it.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Getting Kadeem 3 extra weeks of practice time with the team this year was one of the small but nice advantages of playing in April.
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      Chipola (Fla.) Junior College transfer Earl Watson will also be in the mix down low.
      Not to mention Vincennes Juco transfer Darius Carter.

Comment

We are freaking loaded next year. Morris, too.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
          April 29, 2013

Wichita State Shockers: There's a strong chance that next season's Shockers could be even better than the unit that lost to Louisville in this year's Final Four. Losing bruising forward Carl Hall and court leader Malcolm Armstead will hurt, but Gregg Marshall's team will return all of its other key parts. Cleanthony Early, who had 25 points and 10 rebounds against Louisville, is an NBA-caliber small forward. Ron Baker ignited the Shockers' NCAA tournament run with his prowess from beyond the arc, and point guard Fred VanVleet logged valuable minutes as a freshman backing up Armstead at point guard. Tekele Cotton is a returning starter who helps set the tone defensively. Standout shooter Evan Wessel, who redshirted this season, also returns. Look for 6-foot-9 Louisiana-Lafayette transfer Kadeem Coleby to replace Hall in the paint. Colby has spent the past season working out with the Shockers, and Marshall couldn't be more impressed. Chipola (Fla.) Junior College transfer Earl Watson will also be in the mix down low.

Kai - If this has been posted elsewhere, please delete it.
          Real journalists make other 'journalists' look dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            Real journalists make other 'journalists' look dumb.
            I think it exposes them to what they really are and that is just LAZY.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
              I think it exposes them to what they really are and that is just LAZY.
              Allow me to play devil's advocate here.

Journalists are not lazy. They work all the time. They work hard because they get paid and promoted according to the research they do and what they are able to make out of it.

But their time is limited, and many feel their time is better devoted to teams that will probably be in the mix next season because they are in the mix every season. Others like to look elsewhere.

What I am saying is that, as much as we like this story, there are probably 30 teams out there who feel like Jason King is "lazy" because he didn't research their team. It's just impossible to do them all and produce anything meaningful.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Check out No. 8
                King's Court makes an offseason cameo with the top 10 things to watch for the 2013-14 season, including the new ACC, NCAA tournament sleepers and Louisville going for a second straight national title.
                If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

thats a lot of pressure to put on the returning starters...but its a good bar to to have set...but the pressure is extremely high when it comes to standards!!

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

Journalists are not lazy. They work all the time. They work hard because they get paid and promoted according to the research they do and what they are able to make out of it.

But their time is limited, and many feel their time is better devoted to teams that will probably be in the mix next season because they are in the mix every season. Others like to look elsewhere.

What I am saying is that, as much as we like this story, there are probably 30 teams out there who feel like Jason King is "lazy" because he didn't research their team. It's just impossible to do them all and produce anything meaningful.
                    If you mean journalist as someone that has integrity and will research their articles then I will give you that. I was thinking more along the line of those (that outnumber journalists) that publish blogs or heresay or happenstance, rumor and innuendo, and call themselves journalists.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

We were in he final four and Jason King is the only ESPN writer who knows Kadeem is on the team next year. That is laziness.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

If not lazy, then many journalists have a huge lazy bone.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          We are freaking loaded next year. Morris, too.
                          Sorry. I have used all of my eligibility. You cannot count on me.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Q: Wichita State vs KU on a neutral court next year, whats the spread?

Jason King (3:24 PM)

In November? I'd say it'd be WSU -1.5. And I'd take the Shockers all day.
                            More positive stuff from King.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                              If not lazy, then many journalists have a huge lazy bone.
                              I've noticed from most ESPN writers when discussing our team that they just take a look at the roster from last year and compare it to incoming players. Which explains why Kadeem is regularly left off anything written by anyone other than King. I have no idea what the explanation for thinking EO is coming back -- I'm assuming it's because he only played three years at WSU.

It's not reasonable to expect journalists to know the rosters for every team in the country. It is entirely reasonable to expect journalists who write a top 25 to know the rosters for the teams that they think are in the top 25, though. Anyone who lists us in a top 25 list and doesn't know who is on our team next year is lazy, and there's no other explanation for it. They're hedging their bets on us being a sexy name right now but they don't actually want to bother to do any research on us.
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                              X