A little perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little perspective

I offer this as a comparison and to perhaps shine a little light and perspective on how impressive the last 4 years have been for WSU and Coach Marshall.

I am not implying that anyone doesn't appreciate it, I simply happened across this factoid and found it interesting and made me take a second glance at how difficult and unusual it is to win at this level.

I watched a little of the OKC v Houston game last night (honestly, I was doing laundry in the basement and couldn't find the remote and it happened to turn on to TNT). This kid for Houston had a big game, Chandler Parsons. I didn't remember him so I looked him up.

He played at Florida from 2007-11. Let's take a look at his 4 years at Florida:

07-08 NIT losing to UMASS in the semis after winning 3 home games.

08-09 NIT losing to Penn State in the QuarterFinals after playing every game at home.

09-10 NCAA as a 10 seed, lost in the 1st round to BYU

10-11 NCAA lost in the Elite 8 as a #2 seed to Butler.

And as a refresher, the last 4 years for WSU

09-10 NIT Lost in the first round to Nevada

10-11 NIT Won the NIT

11-12 NCAA As a #5 seed lost to VCU in the 2nd round

12-13 NCAA As a #9 seed lost to Louisville in the Final Four

That's Florida folks...just off back to back NCAA Championships. Same coach. Think recruiting was easy during that time? Money? Fan support? BCS conference bias? Even with all those advantages, sure looks to me like the Shocks had a better 4 year run.

I'm also going to add this. Those first 2 years, the Shocks should have been NCAA teams. They were one of the best at large teams available imho. They didn't get in for a variety of reasons and I have no desire to rehash those reasons.

I believe next year, given the exact same scenario, WSU will get in. They'll get the benefit of the doubt now.

Of course, next year, they are NOT going to need it.
    Last edited by WuDrWu; April 30, 2013, 07:03 AM.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    I offer this as a comparison and to perhaps shine a little light and perspective on how impressive the last 4 years have been for WSU and Coach Marshall.

I am not implying that anyone doesn't appreciate it, I simply happened across this factoid and found it interesting and made me take a second glance at how difficult and unusual it is to win at this level.

I watched a little of the OKC v Houston game last night (honestly, I was doing laundry in the basement and couldn't find the remote and it happened to turn on to TNT). This kid for Houston had a big game, Chandler Parsons. I didn't remember him so I looked him up.

He played at Florida from 2007-11. Let's take a look at his 4 years at Florida:

07-08 NIT losing to UMASS in the semis after winning 3 home games.

08-09 NIT losing to Penn State in the QuarterFinals after playing every game at home.

09-10 NCAA as a 10 seed, lost in the 1st round to BYU

10-11 NCAA lost in the Elite 8 as a #2 seed to Butler.

And as a refresher, the last 4 years for WSU

09-10 NIT Lost in the first round to Nevada

10-11 NIT Won the NIT

11-12 NCAA As a #5 seed lost to VCU in the 2nd round

12-13 NCAA As a #9 seed lost to Louisville in the Final Four

That's Florida folks...just off back to back NCAA Championships. Same coach. Think recruiting was easy during that time? Money? Fan support? BCS conference bias? Even with all those advantages, sure looks to me like the Shocks had a better 4 year run.

I'm also going to add this. Those first 2 years, the Shocks should have been NCAA teams. They were one of the best at large teams available imho. They didn't get in for a variety of reasons and I have no desire to rehash those reason.

I believe next year, given the exact same scenario, WSU will get in. They'll get the benefit of the doubt now.

Of course, next year, they are NOT going to need it.
    It is interesting to see how our seasons have stacked up against other more coveted BCS programs. I know you were just looking at coach Marshall's teams but when you consider that we are only about 7 years removed from a Sweet 16 as well it does help you realize that our program has finally stepped back into prominence.
    "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Have we ever made the tourney 3 years in a row?
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

You do laundry?

Comment

NCAA in 1985, 87 and 88 is the best 4 year NCAA run in our history. 1986 was Gene Smithsons last year 14-14.
          "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
          which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            You do laundry?

"Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies

We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie

We love to cut you down to size, we love dirty laundry"
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

This shows that you need to really enjoy the success while you have it, because it can turn around in a hurry, even to the best of programs.

Comment

Some more factoids on those Florida teams. They beat Creighton by 28 in the NIT in 2008. Their first round loss to BYU went to 2OTs and was one of the best games of the tournament. They got Jimmered. Parsons was the SEC player of the year his Senior year.

Comment

It would be interesting to see what we could do with legitimate NBA caliber players on our roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    It would be interesting to see what we could do with legitimate NBA caliber players on our roster.
                    We may be getting a taste of that with Early.
                    "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

And Toure might break through next year with how he has come on in the D-League.
                      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Cleanthony has talent and skill to be a first rounder next year.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Agree about Cle, but a lot of those teams, like Florida, are consistently cranking out NBA level players, 5 star recruits, etc. If Marshall could get those guys to come to Wichita, watch out.

Comment

Too many 4 and 5 star recruits are not always for the best. Alabama just lost a 5 star recruit after two years because he didn't like the system where you aren't a star.

Comment

Van Vleet and Baker are also NBA potential, IMO. (Emphasis on potential)
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                              X