New Proposed Rule Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Proposed Rule Changes

Sorry if this have been posted before. I haven't seen it. I wonder what Marshall thinks of either. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

I like the 30-second shot clock. That would put it in line with the women's shot clock if it passes. Also, if you thought teams had a hard time scoring on us with a 35-second shot clock, just think what it will be for them with a 30-second shot clock. Of course we'll have to pick up the pace on offense, too.

Comment

I guess I am old fashioned. I don't like the idea of a shorter shot clock (30 seconds). I still remember when there was NO shot clock. It reduces the strategy available for the coaches when you shorten the shot clock.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
        I guess I am old fashioned. I don't like the idea of a shorter shot clock (30 seconds). I still remember when there was NO shot clock. It reduces the strategy available for the coaches when you shorten the shot clock.
        And it puts a premium on great defense.

Comment

Let me step into the mind of our typical MVC opponent's coach:

40 minutes x 60 seconds = 2400 seconds

BEFORE THE RULE CHANGE
          ----
          2400 seconds / 35 seconds = 68.5 possessions total.
          68.5 / 2 = 34.25 guaranteed possessions total.

AFTER THE RULE CHANGE
          ----
          2400 seconds / 30 seconds = 80 possessions total if full shot clock is used and dammit, we're using ours.
          80 / 2 = 40 guaranteed possessions.

CONCLUSION
          ----
          On defense we get to show how our practices have paid off with 2 flops per possession. So we get a net 5.75 * 2 = 11 FLOPS PER GAME INCREASE minimum!! YAY!!

On offense our undersized forwards get the benefit of the whistle against real athletes like WSU's at a rate of 0.85 fouls per possession, so we get about 5 MORE WHISTLES PER GAME minimum! WOO WOO!!
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I would think a shot clock change would benefit WSU

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
              I don't know. I feel like the shot clock gets manipulated to be a strategy in itself.

If there was no shot clock anymore, I'm sure you'd see a coach or two try to turn games into a single possession per half. People will manipulate the rule to their advantage no matter what it is, but the longer one team has the ball, the less interesting the game is to watch.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Im indifferent on the earlier start time. It can benefit the young guys but also has a disadvantage for them as well.

Im all for the shorter shot clock.

Comment

I like the 35 second shot clock. And the season is already long enough for these kids. It they want to increase scoring, why did they move the 3 point line back?
                  Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                  Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

I absolutely HATE shortening the shot clock. Makes the game closer to the NBA and that SUCKS - BIG TIME!

As for the earlier starting date for practice, it doesn't appear that the coaches can spend any more time with the players, just that it can be spread over a longer period of time. Will the coaches still be allowed the up-to-four-player sessions after the earlier starting date, or will those be eliminated? I would expect stretching the practices over a longer period of time will allow time for nagging injuries to heal and will result in more efficient practices, but I wonder what the effect will be on conditioning, as the current packing of practices definitely helps get the kids into game shape.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Let me step into the mind of our typical MVC opponent's coach:

40 minutes x 60 seconds = 2400 seconds

BEFORE THE RULE CHANGE
                      ----
                      2400 seconds / 35 seconds = 68.5 possessions total.
                      68.5 / 2 = 34.25 guaranteed possessions total.

AFTER THE RULE CHANGE
                      ----
                      2400 seconds / 30 seconds = 80 possessions total if full shot clock is used and dammit, we're using ours.
                      80 / 2 = 40 guaranteed possessions.

CONCLUSION
                      ----
                      On defense we get to show how our practices have paid off with 2 flops per possession. So we get a net 5.75 * 2 = 11 FLOPS PER GAME INCREASE minimum!! YAY!!

On offense our undersized forwards get the benefit of the whistle against real athletes like WSU's at a rate of 0.85 fouls per possession, so we get about 5 MORE WHISTLES PER GAME minimum! WOO WOO!!
                      You forgot to factor in shot-clock resets after offensive rebounds. ;)

Comment

Maybe we can get the shot clock to be a true 35 or 30 seconds. Right now it starts at 35.0 seconds and the backboard turns red at 0.9 seconds. So it's actually only a 34.1 second shot clock.

Comment

Hate the idea of shortening the clock.

Comment

They want to create more flow to the game. I can get behind that. They are going about it in completely the wrong way.

1. Remove 1 media timeout per half. This would create much more flow. It's easier to play in-your-face defense for 40 minutes when it is 20 2-minute intervals.
                            2. Call the rulebook the way it is written.

Comment

Regarding the shot clock not sure why it is even an issue. I'm not interested in making college basketball more like the NBA.

Yes, the women have a 30 second clock but you also see a lot more forced shots at the buzzer in the women's game than in the men's game. If they want to do anything they should institute the 10-secomd rule (to get the ball past half-court) in the women's game. Perhaps even change the women's shot clock to 35 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                              X