No announcement yet.

What a Ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=WstateU;398800]Keith Bonds, there's a blast from the past. My pea brain recalls him throwing down one of nastiest dunks I've ever seen from a point guard... a one handed 'hammer' dunk. Did he play only one year for Eddie Fogler?[/QUOT

Ahhh yes, that dunk was indeed quite a thunder dunk with an exclaimation point. I had to wonder if there were tremors for a spell thereafter at the local Dunkin Doughnut parlors in this fine City. Keith played here between 1988-1990.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

[QUOTE=KC Shox;398851]Here are some interesting articles

1) http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...08--ncaab.html

Gonzaga fans still think they should have been the ones to go to the FF if it weren't for our once in a lifetime fluke of a hot spell that beat them.

2) http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...194152276.html

This watch list of coaches on the hot seat for 2013 and undoubtedly everyone one of their fans will be adding GM's name to their top choices to replace their current coach.

3) http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

We get to play Kansas State and then Kentucky!!![/QUOT

It seemed like fans from most every team we played last Season really thought they would beat us, going into games. Then thereafter, it was just that they were off their game that particular night. Hmmm. I wonder if this trend will be as prevalent this coming Season as well?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
        Here are some interesting articles

Gonzaga fans still think they should have been the ones to go to the FF if it weren't for our once in a lifetime fluke of a hot spell that beat them.
        Gonzaga was still the toughest game we had as far as I'm concerned. We dominated Pitt and La Salle. Manhandled Ohio State for most of the game before the refs got them back into it. Brawled with Louisville the whole way. But we lose to 'Zaga without the miraculous shooting at the end. They're the only team that I thought should probably have beaten us. I thought they "deserved" the win more than Louisville did.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

[QUOTE=forevershockerfan;398860]
          Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          Here are some interesting articles

2) http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...194152276.html

This watch list of coaches on the hot seat for 2013 and undoubtedly everyone one of their fans will be adding GM's name to their top choices to replace their current coach.

3) http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

We get to play Kansas State and then Kentucky!!![/QUOT

It seemed like fans from most every team we played last Season really thought they would beat us, going into games. Then thereafter, it was just that they were off their game that particular night. Hmmm. I wonder if this trend will be as prevalent this coming Season as well?
          'shockers were a really good defensive team that finally came to grips with the motion offense (being relatively inexperienced within the team most of the year) is what happened to those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
            'always should have been the next mvc final four team after insu, and should have happened sooner that when it did, is what i thought (of course the mvc had about four final four teams within the decade before bird- '69 drake, '73 memphis, louisville twice? '80's shockers were in that same mould).

that's why turgeon let me down. how could he think that wsu's ceiling was a sweet 16? did he really believe that?
            I'm a little young to remember, but when our 80s Shocker didn't get to the final four, wasn't the Hershey Hawkins Bradley squad one that could have been a final four team? Tulsa?
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
              Gonzaga was still the toughest game we had as far as I'm concerned. We dominated Pitt and La Salle. Manhandled Ohio State for most of the game before the refs got them back into it. Brawled with Louisville the whole way. But we lose to 'Zaga without the miraculous shooting at the end. They're the only team that I thought should probably have beaten us. I thought they "deserved" the win more than Louisville did.
              I would agree with most of this other than the "miraculous shooting". I think you will see that Ron Baker, Cle, and FVV are just flat out good shooters. They aren't just throwing the ball in the air hoping it will go in.

Why is it when other teams shoot well - like Gonzaga did in the end - it's not "miraculous"

Comment

I had season tickets in every one of those dreadful years.

On average, there were about six to seven thousand of us, who would show up.

Coach R. Smithson referred to us as the "Dave Stallworth faithful."

Dr. Wu, I used to sit on the floor too. It was by the old drinking fountain on the northeast corner. It was during the Cheese Johnson days. God, I loved Cheese. He was so much fun to watch. I was so close to the corner of the court, I felt like I could reach out and high five him, when he set up on offense.

Kung is right on. It all starts with leadership and management. Beginning with AD Schaus, we got some.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                  I had season tickets in every one of those dreadful years.

On average, there were about six to seven thousand of us, who would show up.

Coach R. Smithson referred to us as the "Dave Stallworth faithful."

Dr. Wu, I used to sit on the floor too. It was by the old drinking fountain on the northeast corner. It was during the Cheese Johnson days. God, I loved Cheese. He was so much fun to watch. I was so close to the corner of the court, I felt like I could reach out and high five him, when he set up on offense.

Kung is right on. It all starts with leadership and management. Beginning with AD Schaus, we got some.
                  My dad was one of those 6-7000 Dave Stallworth faithful. He passed just prior to the turn around under Turgeon. He would have had a lot of fun with the 2006 season and this year.
                  He probably still did.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                    I would agree with most of this other than the "miraculous shooting". I think you will see that Ron Baker, Cle, and FVV are just flat out good shooters. They aren't just throwing the ball in the air hoping it will go in.

Why is it when other teams shoot well - like Gonzaga did in the end - it's not "miraculous"
                    I think 7 3's in a row is pretty close to miraculous. They're some damn good shooters, but as big of a Shocker fan as I am, if you told me we were going to have to hit 7 3's in a row to win a game in the tournament, I would have been preparing for a loss. They had some crazy good shooting, too, but nothing like ours.

Prior to that game, I would have considered Creighton's shooting against us in the regular season finale to be miraculous, as well. Teams just get on a run sometimes that defy all stats ... worked against us once, worked for us once.

Although stats wise, it also evened out the absolutely horrible shooting from the Pitt game, which barely even slowed us down against them.
                    Originally posted by BleacherReport
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      I think 7 3's in a row is pretty close to miraculous. They're some damn good shooters, but as big of a Shocker fan as I am, if you told me we were going to have to hit 7 3's in a row to win a game in the tournament, I would have been preparing for a loss. They had some crazy good shooting, too, but nothing like ours.
                      Well we only HAD to make 5 of 7. ;) If you'd have told me that 3 pointers were the key to victory and Malcolm only went 1 of 6 for the night, I would have penciled in a loss though. Pretty crazy run they went on.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        I'm a little young to remember, but when our 80s Shocker didn't get to the final four, wasn't the Hershey Hawkins Bradley squad one that could have been a final four team? Tulsa?
                        Maybe Tulsa, but Tulsa didn't win more than one game in a tourney in the 1980s.

I think those great Bradley teams lacked size, didn't they? I am only recalling Hawkins and Jim Les. Having two future-NBA guards is certainly one way to win 30 games.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                          Maybe Tulsa, but Tulsa didn't win more than one game in a tourney in the 1980s.

I think those great Bradley teams lacked size, didn't they? I am only recalling Hawkins and Jim Les. Having two future-NBA guards is certainly one way to win 30 games.
                          Bradley stars - early 80s - David Thirdkill and Mitchell Anderson to name a couple. They were Top 20 but not nat'l champ contenders.

Comment

How exciting was it this year? My question is, Coach has been raising the bar every year, and how is he going to top this year next year? Yes, I know what you are going to say, by winning a National Championship, right? I really thought we could have this year, we kind of broke down a little the last 5 minutes of the Louieville game, or we could have won it, and if we had won it, I would have bet we would have beat Michigan.

I just wish we didn't have to wait 7 months for the season to start again .... grrrr!

Comment

1) Bring home the trophy from St Lou.
                              2) 6 seed or higher.
                              3) All American honors for a stud or two on our team.
                              4) Back to back Sweet-16 run.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Even if we have an improved squad next Season, and I think we will, once we Dance there are so many factors to consider. The bracket, who is playing tough at the time, how are we playing at the time, how experienced and talented are the teams we are playing, etc. That is what made this Final 4 ride so very special and unique. The sooner we take this very ride again, the better. What a rewarding ride for our Program and it made us lots of bread. Let's hope some very key recruits will add us to their short list now that may have otherwise looked Saint Elsewhere.

Missing Hall and EO is a hit but I love our mix of bigs and I think we will be improved inside. D-Will was a player with much experience which comes in handy. However, we are loaded at the 2-3 slots. The biggest hit could be our career leader in steals for a Season, Mr. Armstud. However, I love how FreshVV was groomed as the Season progressed and he will be pushed by DJ Bowles who will be better than advertised.

Last but not least, let us hope that we have much more of an injury free Season. It will be great to have Wessel back who is a winner. We also have a couple of impressive walk-ons who will get a fair shot at this. We won't have quite as an experienced team but actually maybe our deepest and most talented team ever in terms of quality players all the way up and down the lineups. It is certain we at least won't be picked to finish no stinkin 4th in the Valley Race.

Comment

Working...
                                X