2006/2007 game against KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006/2007 game against KU

Does anybody have any additional information to this game that KU turned down that ESPN was putting together?

Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
    Does anybody have any additional information to this game that KU turned down that ESPN was putting together?
    I would have to look harder but it was for the 2005-06 season. It is important to remember that the proposal was made in the spring if 2005...BEFORE the Sweet 16 run happened. WSU was coming off three straight NIT berths and was losing four starters. Not exactly striking too much fear into our opponents. Of course, Shocker Nation knew better.
    78-65

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I only know that they turned us down and we ended up playing Michigan State instead. Lost by double digits mostly due to cold outside shooting in the second half. Paul Miller was pretty hot in the first half scoring something like 18 or 19 points and PJ was a man under the glass outrebounding guys 5-6 inches taller.. I believe that was in December of 2005 or January of 2006.
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          I only know that they turned us down and we ended up playing Michigan State instead. Lost by double digits mostly due to cold outside shooting in the second half. Paul Miller was pretty hot in the first half scoring something like 18 or 19 points and PJ was a man under the glass outrebounding guys 5-6 inches taller.. I believe that was in December of 2005 or January of 2006.
          Expert recap and game analysis of the Michigan State Spartans vs. Wichita State Shockers NCAAM game from December 10, 2005 on ESPN.
          "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

who cares. Everyone knows WSU is the best team in the state, we don't need to play those bums.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
              If I recall correctly, no news site ever explicitly said it was KU that turned down Wichita State, but it was very strongly insinuated.

ESPN's premise was that they were shopping WSU around to different teams for a "neutral site" game, but in operation the game-site would have heavily favored our opponent. We wound up playing Michigan State in Auburn Hills.

I believe what ESPN said was that they created a deal whereby WSU would play the "mystery opponent" in Kansas City, but that the "mystery team" turned down the deal. There were a few other hints thrown in that made it almost impossible that they were referring to any other team.

It was all sort of a promo that was instigated by ESPN. Just a one-time, one and done game.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
                If I recall correctly, no news site ever explicitly said it was KU that turned down Wichita State, but it was very strongly insinuated.

ESPN's premise was that they were shopping WSU around to different teams for a "neutral site" game, but in operation the game-site would have heavily favored our opponent. We wound up playing Michigan State in Auburn Hills.

I believe what ESPN said was that they created a deal whereby WSU would play the "mystery opponent" in Kansas City, but that the "mystery team" turned down the deal. There were a few other hints thrown in that made it almost impossible that they were referring to any other team.

It was all sort of a promo that was instigated by ESPN. Just a one-time, one and done game.
                At the risk of dragging this out, Turgeon said on the radio around this time that he was trying to get a game on ESPN with KU. Self had essentially agreed to such a match, believing that Mark couldn't make it happen. Well, Mark did put it together but Self backed out. Don't know if this was the same situation but it would be one heck of a coincidence. Mark was seeting mad as he told the story.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                  At the risk of dragging this out, Turgeon said on the radio around this time that he was trying to get a game on ESPN with KU. Self had essentially agreed to such a match, believing that Mark couldn't make it happen. Well, Mark did put it together but Self backed out. Don't know if this was the same situation but it would be one heck of a coincidence. Mark was seeting mad as he told the story.
                  KU fans need that in writing or a link to a story about it online, or it never happened.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    KU fans need that in writing or a link to a story about it online, or it never happened.
                    Many of us heard Mark talk about it. And he WAS seething mad. It was clear that he thought Self backed out of a comittment to him.

Comment

Today, everything on talk radio is available on pod cast. That wasn't the case back in the olden days of 2005-06, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                        That's exactly what I recalled.

Comment

Turgeon denies the rumor... http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=11467999

Comment

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
                            If you think Turgeon is going to explain to some random emailer the specifics of a volitile situation that potentially reflects badly on his alma mater, then I have a sweet bridge to sell you.

Speaking of reflecting badly on their alma mater, may I present the OP.
                            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; April 16, 2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
                              If you think Turgeon is going to explain to some random emailer the specifics of a volitile situation that potentially reflects badly on his alma mater, then I have a sweet bridge to sell you.

Speaking of reflecting badly on their alma mater, may I present the OP.
                              I don't care what you think of me, but I reached out to the Mark and asked the question very repectfully. Good or bad, I was willing to accept his answer. I gave fellow Shockernet posters an opportunity to give me details, I took a helluva beating on the KU boards defending WSU and Wichita, nobody gave me concrete information. The best explanation I got was Mark on the radio, implying the game with KU. So what? When does the truth poorly represent our university? It just basketball for crying out loud.

Comment

Working...
                              X