Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is WSU's jump in final poll from NR to #4 a record leap in the poll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is WSU's jump in final poll from NR to #4 a record leap in the poll?

I don't recall that ever before. Amazing. Oh, and congratulations on being the highest ranked team in Kansas. Sweet year.

Pretty sweet.
    We beat: Ohio State (6), Gonzaga (12), Creighton (21), VCU (23), LaSalle (24)
    We lose to: Louisville (1), Creighton (21) 2x
    5-3 vs. the top 25...
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by K-Stater4WSU View Post
      I don't recall that ever before. Amazing. Oh, and congratulations on being the highest ranked team in Kansas. Sweet year.
      Pretty sure UCONN wasn't ranked before winning it all 2 seasons ago, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Pretty sure UCONN wasn't ranked before winning it all 2 seasons ago, but I could be wrong.
        You would think so, given their 9th place finish in the Big East but...

They were not ranked in any preseason polls, but were ranked as high as #5 during the regular season. They were 9-9 in the Big East and in 9th place at the end of the regular season, finishing 21-9 and ranked #21. They were a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney.

They won the Big East tourney and landed a 3 seed in the WEST region (you know the easy region)...

Interesting that their road to the National Championship was as follows:
        Win over Bucknell (14 seed); Cincy (6); San Diego State (6); Arizona (5); Kentucky (4); Butler (8)

Their final record was 32-9

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          You would think so, given their 9th place finish in the Big East but...

They were not ranked in any preseason polls, but were ranked as high as #5 during the regular season. They were 9-9 in the Big East and in 9th place at the end of the regular season, finishing 21-9 and ranked #21. They were a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney.

They won the Big East tourney and landed a 3 seed in the WEST region (you know the easy region)...

Interesting that their road to the National Championship was as follows:
          Win over Bucknell (14 seed); Cincy (6); San Diego State (6); Arizona (5); Kentucky (4); Butler (8)

Their final record was 32-9
          I'd also like to point out that WSU lost exactly three non-con games that year. We lost to Sweet 16 team San Diego State (which lost to eventual National Champion UCONN), Final four team VCU, and eventual National Champion UCONN. We won the NIT over Alabama…the next up and coming BCS program. They were in the NIT again this year. UCONN is ineligible for post season play I believe. Non-BCS programs VCU and SDSU continue to have success, but not as much as WSU!

:)
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            I'd also like to point out that WSU lost exactly three non-con games that year. We lost to Sweet 16 team San Diego State (which lost to eventual National Champion UCONN), Final four team VCU, and eventual National Champion UCONN. We won the NIT over Alabama…the next up and coming BCS program. They were in the NIT again this year. UCONN is ineligible for post season play I believe. Non-BCS programs VCU and SDSU continue to have success, but not as much as WSU!

:)
            Yes, and our loss to VCU put them in the dance and knocked us out.. We won the NIT and they went to the Final Four...what a fine line between 68 and 69... And shows you how non-existent our margin for error was that year.

I went back on ESPN to see if I could find the final coaches poll. It looks like VCU went from unranked to #6 for their Final 4

Butler went from unranked to #2 for their National Championship game appearance and loss to UConn...

WSU beat no one in the final top 25, but lost to Uconn (1), VCU (6) San Diego St (11).

Without Creighton in the Valley next year, no Bracket Busters, and no MWC Challenge, we could be back in this position again... The CBE Classic is not going to help us at all...
            Last edited by jocoshock; April 9, 2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Now this team ranks right up there with the best of the Miller and Smithson teams.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                Now this team ranks right up there with the best of the Miller and Smithson teams.
                Paul Sullentrop would agree..

Paul Suellentrop ‏@PaulS:uellentrop 8h
                WSU No. 4 in coaches poll, program's best since 1964. http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/09/275...ll-fourth.html

Comment

Will Montgomery ‏@THR_Montgomery 12m
                  Early leaders for No. 1 story of 2013: Dolson wins national title with UConn or Early leads Wichita State to surprising run to Final Four?

Comment

Working...
                  X