No announcement yet.

KSU's slant on playing WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it would be great for the state of Kansas if the schools played. The schools all play in baseball and most of the top 20 largest crowds ever in LAWRENCE for KU baseball games are games against WSU.

But personally I could care less about playing either one of them. WSU doesn't need either one and we are doing just fine without them. I don't pay attention to either program in basketball. I do however get mad though when they play West Virginia or Gonzaga in OUR home town.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      K-State is not KU with regards to MBB, Scheduling, Success, or anything else. But I kind of have fun throwing spit wads at 'em. They make me laugh.

Those that attend the Zags vs. K-State game at Intrust should wear a Zags shirt and chant "We want the Shockers". I hope Gonzaga curb stomps 'em.
      Additionally, the Alumni Association should put a few 30 foot long banners (on the railroad bridge near Old Town, near Intrust, etc...) announcing, "Welcome to Shocker Country."
      I like the idea of hanging large banners (and maybe a few billboards) saying "Welcome to Shocker Country".

I also wouldn't mind a few banners and billboards letting GONZAGA know that WSU would entertain giving them a chance to avenge their Sweet 16 loss to WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
        We just went to the Final Four and playing KSU would be our Superbowl? Did that guy say that in seriousness, or was he just joking?
        I'm not sure we want to play Kansas State.

I'd be really tough for Coach Marshall to get the team up to play a team that can't make it out of the first round of the tournament. We'd be their Super Bowl. No point to really risk it.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          There is only one response to "nothing to gain" at this point:

WRONG. WSU offers KSU and KU an excellent non-con SOS match-up that will _probably_ result in a higher RPI for them, and if they win will probably result in a higher seed in the NCAA tourney -- or in off years getting in the tournament instead of Marylanding (TM, All Rights Reserved, Copyrighted 2013) into the NIT. The higher seed boost will be slight in KU's case for most years, but could be significant in KSU's case most years.

KU can easily achieve the above by playing a Michigan State, or other top 25 team who will home/home them. KSU not so much.
          There is definitely something to gain from playing us.

However, Kansas State believes there is significantly more to lose: The perception of being the #2 team in Kansas. They are terrified of being relegated to the third rung in the state to in-state recruits.

That problem isn't going to change, because if we play, we WILL beat them. Their only hope is that we don't pull another good NCAA run off to cement it.

Personally, I look at this issue from a money perspective. Kansas, K-State, and WSU are public universities. They are funded by the state. They can argue whatever they want about what's best for THEIR school, but the state is THEIR employer, and playing each other is good for the STATE. When KU goes to play Temple, do you know what happens? People in Philadelphia make money. Businesses there make money. The city government and the state governments make money. KU, as employees of the state of Kansas, choose to inject money into the economy of Philadelphia rather than into the economy of Wichita. The same thing happens when we go on the road to Tulsa next year ... our fans will travel there, buy tickets, eat dinner, stay in hotels, and spend money. Tulsa, Oklahoma benefits. Publicly funded universities in the state of Kansas should play each other to maximize their impact on the economy of the state that they answer to, and minimize the quantity of money they are injecting into economies outside of the state of Kansas. This is why I still think this is an issue for the Kansas state legislature. How much money would it mean for the state of Kansas if KU, K-State, and WSU each took one road game to another state off their schedule and played that game within the state, instead?
          Last edited by Rlh04d; April 12, 2013, 01:22 AM.
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
            There is definitely something to gain from playing us.

However, Kansas State believes there is significantly more to lose: The perception of being the #2 team in Kansas. They are terrified of being relegated to the third rung in the state to in-state recruits.

That problem isn't going to change, because if we play, we WILL beat them. Their only hope is that we don't pull another good NCAA run off to cement it.

Personally, I look at this issue from a money perspective. Kansas, K-State, and WSU are public universities. They are funded by the state. They can argue whatever they want about what's best for THEIR school, but the state is THEIR employer, and playing each other is good for the STATE. When KU goes to play Temple, do you know what happens? People in Philadelphia make money. Businesses there make money. The city government and the state governments make money. KU, as employees of the state of Kansas, choose to inject money into the economy of Philadelphia rather than into the economy of Wichita. The same thing happens when we go on the road to Tulsa next year ... our fans will travel there, buy tickets, eat dinner, stay in hotels, and spend money. Tulsa, Oklahoma benefits. Publicly funded universities in the state of Kansas should play each other to maximize their impact on the economy of the state that they answer to, and minimize the quantity of money they are injecting into economies outside of the state of Kansas. This is why I still think this is an issue for the Kansas state legislature. How much money would it mean for the state of Kansas if KU, K-State, and WSU each took one road game to another state off their schedule and played that game within the state, instead?
            good points

Comment

WSU offers KSU and KU an excellent non-con SOS match-up that will _probably_ result in a higher RPI for them, and if they win will probably result in a higher seed in the NCAA tourney -- or in off years... getting in the tournament instead of Marylanding (TM, All Rights Reserved, Copyrighted 2013) into the NIT.
              "Marylanding," KW? Very nice. Maybe if a certain former WSU coach (you remember him, the guy who used to complain endlessly about how, back when he was "at this level," the big boys refused to play him?) tried playing WSU instead of some of the embarrassments on his schedule, he might trade a home gate against Podunk State U. for the money and recognition that flow from playing in the big tournament rather than the NIT.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                "Marylanding," KW? Very nice. Maybe if a certain former WSU coach (you remember him, the guy who used to complain endlessly about how, back when he was "at this level," the big boys refused to play him?) tried playing WSU instead of some of the embarrassments on his schedule, he might trade a home gate against Podunk State U. for the money and recognition that flow from playing in the big tournament rather than the NIT.
                You'll most certainly see this happen either this coming season if his schedule isn't already set in stone, or the following season.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

You'll most certainly see this happen either this coming season if his schedule isn't already set in stone, or the following season.
                  And Global Warming will officially be over because Hell froze over?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                    And Global Warming will officially be over because Hell froze over?
                    Hahah, no not THAT unrealistic. I doubt his school's fans appreciate him Marylanding into the NIT. I think he'll be under tremendous pressure to upgrade his non-con schedule. Now I am not saying he will do that with so called "mid majors", but he will definitely have to lift the talent level of his non-con schedule one way or the other.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Hahah, no not THAT unrealistic. I doubt his school's fans appreciate him Marylanding into the NIT. I think he'll be under tremendous pressure to upgrade his non-con schedule. Now I am not saying he will do that with so called "mid majors", but he will definitely have to lift the talent level of his non-con schedule one way or the other.
                      They're definitely going to have a tougher schedule next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X