No announcement yet.

ESPN's Jason King picks his early top 25 for 13-14 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or they see that VCU isn't playing WSU next year...

Comment

25. Wichita State on CBS

2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion $200,000 (2460 teams)
      2012 NFFC Online National Champion $100,000 (1872 teams)
      2014 DFWC National Champion $9,250 (288 teams)
      2015 RTS Fantasy Championship 2nd Place $25,000 (3120 teams)

2015 NCAA Bracketology (351 pts more than all 136 at the bracket matrix)

Kentucky Wildcats National Champions 2012 1998 1996 1978 1958 1951 1949 1948
      The Ohio State Buckeyes National Champions 2014 2002 1970 1968 1961 1957 1954 1942

Comment

If being dismissed in the regular season gets us to another Final Four, and I totally cool with that. The polls are not important. What is important is leveraging our run to the FF to get some quality opponents on our non-con schedule next year, and them making them believers of us, the same we made believers of Mark Few, Thad Matta and Rick Pitino.. We are going to need a quality non-con resume big time with Creighton leaving.

If they don't respect us in the polls now, they sure aren't going to respect our Valley record, even if we go undefeated...
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          The polls are not important.
          Ya think, even these that are being published 6+ months before next season even starts. Surely you jest! :encouragement:

I suppose if these guys had a clue as to what they are talking about it might be interesting. Take the CBS poll that has us 25th. They have Ehimen as a key returner and don't mention Kadeem or Shaq as key additions. I'll give them a pass on Darious Carter since that is fresh info and not official yet.

Now way in hell would I trade being in the rankings for our Final Four run. In fact, that just made it that much sweeter.

Go Shocks! Fly Under the Radar/Play Angry.

Comment

A couple of things that the rankings bring though is respect and publicity. Both of those will help in recruiting and more exposure. So while they don't mean anything with regard to how we play or finish, they do mean something in other key areas.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              A couple of things that the rankings bring though is respect and publicity. Both of those will help in recruiting and more exposure. So while they don't mean anything with regard to how we play or finish, they do mean something in other key areas.
              Agree, but not being respected worked pretty well for us this year... I could stand one more year of that... if you know what I mean...

Comment

Agree, but not being respected worked pretty well for us this year... I could stand one more year of that... if you know what I mean...
                I get that. But the respect I was thinking of was more about recruiting. Exposure and respect in the media helps open doors with recruits. So does a Final Four, but if the media blows it off as a fluke, it may be difficult to get into certain houses. I have full faith in 3G on the recruiting trail, but getting a little help wouldn't hurt.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The combination of 3G's recruiting ability, F4 and recognition in early preseason polls can be explosive. Remember, the early signing period for 2014 is only a few weeks into next year's season. Meaning, the attention we get now through then can be huge on the recruiting front.

Personally, I think preseason polls are bunk, but like Sub said, they do have their merit when it comes to recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by jrschh View Post
                    The combination of 3G's recruiting ability, F4 and recognition in early preseason polls can be explosive. Remember, the early signing period for 2014 is only a few weeks into next year's season. Meaning, the attention we get now through then can be huge on the recruiting front.

Personally, I think preseason polls are bunk, but like Sub said, they do have their merit when it comes to recruiting.
                    Understand and agree, but a preseason poll at this stage won't carry nearly as much weight at this year's final poll.. #4!!

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                      no mention of darius carter
                      I actually emailed Jason King after seeing his article (in direct comparison to several other ESPN articles previewing us for next year that didn't mention Coleby or Wessel once) to thank him for the respect he's always showed to us. I really don't care about the fact that he had us at #11 per se ... it's just the fact that he's always talked about us in a respectful manner and dealt with our program with class. He's always been informed regarding us and I appreciate it.

I mentioned Carter to him in my email. He was extremely nice responding back, and said Marshall hadn't mentioned Carter when they spoke on Sunday, but he'd look into him immediately. I doubt HCGM plans on talking about him until he's at least turned in his LOI, or passed his Spring classes to graduate.

He also mentioned that he hopes Andrew Wiggins is considering us ;)

I was impressed he wrote back so fast. Bet it can't hurt if some more people feel like letting him know that we appreciate the love he's always showed us.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                        I actually emailed Jason King after seeing his article (in direct comparison to several other ESPN articles previewing us for next year that didn't mention Coleby or Wessel once) to thank him for the respect he's always showed to us. I really don't care about the fact that he had us at #11 per se ... it's just the fact that he's always talked about us in a respectful manner and dealt with our program with class. He's always been informed regarding us and I appreciate it.

I mentioned Carter to him in my email. He was extremely nice responding back, and said Marshall hadn't mentioned Carter when they spoke on Sunday, but he'd look into him immediately. I doubt HCGM plans on talking about him until he's at least turned in his LOI, or passed his Spring classes to graduate.

He also mentioned that he hopes Andrew Wiggins is considering us ;)

I was impressed he wrote back so fast. Bet it can't hurt if some more people feel like letting him know that we appreciate the love he's always showed us.
                        The school can't comment at all on Carter until he signs the LOI... and you should have told him that Darius is the "little cuz" of LeBron James.... :yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          i know. that's just it. 'wait til jason king/cbs/espn or whomever talking heads, gets THAT news.
                          King definitely has that news now >=)

The school can't comment at all on Carter until he signs the LOI... and you should have told him that Darius is the "little cuz" of LeBron James.... :yahoo:
                          I responded back with that info and a link to Sullentrop's article on Carter.

Can't hurt to keep the one guy in the national media that actually pays attention to us up-to-date. No clue how well communication works at ESPN, but maybe that'll help the recruiting "experts" actually write accurate information about us.
                          Last edited by Rlh04d; April 9, 2013, 10:09 PM.
                          Originally posted by BleacherReport
                          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Not officially, but in "casual" conversation it could be mentioned. It's not like there hadn't been confirmation of it elsewhere.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                            X