Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Evan Wessel regain his starting spot next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Evan Wessel regain his starting spot next year?

What do you think? He was our best 3PT shooter and a good defender while we had him but he'll have a lot of competition from Cotton. He might have have to fight Wiggins and Green as well, who could be good players if they can play high quality defense for us.

Ultimately, it comes down to slightly better shooting ability and ball-handling versus Final Four experience and slightly better defense.

I wonder if Wessell and Wiggins will split the minutes at the 3. Cotton, Baker and FVV could share most of the minutes at the 1 and 2.

Comment

I think it all depends who gets in the weight room and works hard to improve their skills in the off season. Didn't really see Wiggins and Lufile have that "get it" moment and get any better as the season progressed.

Comment

Tekele's toughness on defense and his improvement as a shooter certainly complicates that question. But I'm not sure who starts is really that important. Evan will get plenty of playing time.

There will be 80 minutes a game to divide up between Tekele, Ron and Evan at the 2 spot and perhaps some additional minutes at the 3.

Is Derail a 2 or a 3?

Looks like we should be a very deep team again next year, but we need the smoke to clear before we even know what our overall roster will look like.

Comment

If he can beat out Cotton for it. If Cotton were healthy to start the year, I'm not certain that Wessel would have been a starter. And that's not to take anything away from the young man.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Is Derail a 2 or a 3?
            The roster shows him as a Forward.

Comment

My bold prediction is that the light bulb will turn on in Wiggin's head and he'll hit the weights, can 15lbs, improve his lateral quickness and understand that defense is of vital importance on being an high level basketball player. Unless he wants to continue to come off the bench only shoot threes his Senior season, he needs to ramp up his BB studies. I have faith in the fella.

Comment

excellent problem to have eh?

Nothing will be given. Even for Tekele. Tekele is our best defender hands down so I think he might be pencilled in. But whats to say we couldnt start Tekele at the 2 and Evan at the 3?

Our rotations next year are going to be crazy especially with kids like Derail playing. Looking forward to what our "post" presence is going to look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                  excellent problem to have eh?

Nothing will be given. Even for Tekele. Tekele is our best defender hands down so I think he might be pencilled in. But whats to say we couldnt start Tekele at the 2 and Evan at the 3?

Our rotations next year are going to be crazy especially with kids like Derail playing. Looking forward to what our "post" presence is going to look like.
                  Two words Ron Baker. Baker is a very good defender and our best secondary ball handler. Plus he can shoot a little bit.

Comment

I'm ready to see Derail in game action. He looks like he's spent quite a bit of time in the weight room and we know he can shoot.
                    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      But I'm not sure who starts is really that important. Evan will get plenty of playing time.
                      This. Even the guys coming off the bench will average around 20 minutes a game.

I think Wiggins is going to be good next year. He's a good shooter, able to drive to the basket very well ... the only thing that's keeping him off the court is his inability to play defense. If he wants to play next year, he'll fix that over the summer. If he does so, it'll be hard to keep him off the floor.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        I wonder if Wessell and Wiggins will split the minutes at the 3. Cotton, Baker and FVV could share most of the minutes at the 1 and 2.
                        I find this likely with Wiggins getting the fewest minutes. Cotton/Baker/Wessell are fairly interchangeable as far as ability, and it may come down to game situations. Not willing to count out Bowles or Green from the rotation either, but FVV, RB, TC, and EW will definitely be there.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

I have a hard time seeing Ron and Tekele not starting at the 2 and 3, but the beauty of guys like Evan being on the squad is that neither of those guys will get to rest on their laurels if they want to keep starting.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I see the Shocks redshirting one player (probably Rian Holland) next year and having a roster of 12 quality players to pick and choose from. Hopefully, injuries will not be as big of an issue next year as they were this year but these guys really take a pounding over the season.

Not sure how deep 3G will want to go once he settles in on a rotation but you really need to go 9-10 deep if you want to run with the big boys of D-1 basketball. We should be able to do that easily next year and have a couple of quality players over and above that fighting for minutes.

Just not sure who starts from game to game but I am pretty confident that Evan will get plenty of playing time, whether he starts or comes of the bench. Nothing wrong with having a great 6th man. Just ask Louisville.

3G also appears to have his classes pretty well balanced out in terms of numbers in each class depending on how everything shakes out between now and next season.

Comment

I know Carl got his thumb broken in practice. I don't know how Ron got his stress fracture or how Evan broke his pinky. For all I know, they both got their injuries in practice, too. If the players next year can withstand the pressures and intensity of practice, then regular season injuries should be kept to a minimum. These were the major injuries and don't even count the bumps and bruises that players were able to play through.

Comment

Working...
                              X