No announcement yet.

Too early for MVC talk next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We must become a perennial 3-bid conference. I do not care what it takes. We must.

MVC

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Sub Wessel in for Cotton and I'd agree with huge. :) I like the extra few inches on the court

We're loaded at the 1-3 spots for sure next year.

1 - FVV, Bowles, Baker, Cotton
      2 - Baker, Cotton, Wiggins, Wessel
      3 - Early, Baker, Wiggins, Wessel, Green
      4 - Carter, Early, White, Green?
      5 - Coleby, Shaq

This is me assuming that CJ and Watson aren't here and Holland is a redshirt. You can replace someone and add one or both of those guys in where you'd like. Both are probaby 5's that could play some 4 if needed.

But the above appears to be that we could go 12 deep and not lose much. We obviously won't play that many every game, but the options are there if there's foul trouble or injury or someone simply isn't performing. And in a pinch I'm sure either Carter or White could fill in at the 5.
      Early will not play many minutes at the three. He will be the primary 4, with Carter backing up. This happened with Hall his junior year. He didn't have to "start," every game, but played significant minutes. Same with Cle this year. It is a good situation to have a first team AA Juco player coming off the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
        Early will not play many minutes at the three. He will be the primary 4, with Carter backing up. This happened with Hall his junior year. He didn't have to "start," every game, but played significant minutes. Same with Cle this year. It is a good situation to have a first team AA Juco player coming off the bench.
        I agree that Early will be the stretch four (here we go again) doing more facing up than back to the basket posting up four and Carter will be the back to the basket four.

Comment

Early, Carter, and maybe Wiggins in the game at 5-4-3 at the same time? Yeah, lets run for about 5 or 6 minutes to change the pace of the game.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

My questions:

Who gets more than 15 MPG at the guard spots? We'll potentially have:

Rian Holland (PG)
            Fred Van Vleet (PG/SG)
            DJ Bowles (PG/SG, assuming he plays a little with FVV)
            Ron Baker (PG/SG/SF)
            Tekele Cotton (SG/SF)
            Nick Wiggins (SG/SF)
            Evan Wessel (SF)
            Derail Green (SF/PF)
            Cleanthony Early (SF/PF)

That is 9 guys, for a total of 120 minutes. If everyone was rotated evenly, that would be 13 MPG for each player. Even if you assume Holland red-shirts, and Early plays very little SF, you still have 2-3 players per position, which will make mean that players will have to play well to get playing time. My other real question is about our new players. How well will Carter, Green, and Coleby play? Those guys will have the chance to get a lot of minutes if they perform, and will be crucial to our team's post play.

Comment

Clee, Baker, FVV and TC all get 20+.

Comment

Next year's team has a lot more offensive potential than what we had this year. Coleby, Wessel, Baker, Carter, Green, Morris.
                In the fast lane

Comment

cotton was simply fantastic during the final four run. maybe, just maybe, the most important player for the shockers. 'very inspiring. i can't see him not starting next year. he's so heady, with a nose for the ball, offensively (all of the sudden) and defensively (of course)..

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I saw both Green and Toure Murry play ball in high school. I'm telling you, Green was the superior player. He gets knocked for his defense but that's because he's 6'8" and basically a guard. It's tough for a guy like that to guard a jiiterbug. Maybe he can put on some bulk and become a stretch 4 down the road but right now the dude is a 3 point shooting machine. I'm excited to see him play next year, he adds a dimension we don't really have on this team.
                    I don't remember the numbers, but it is in the the Derail Green recruiting thread, but he had an enormous number of charging fouls drawn as a senior in high school. To me that translate to good coaching and good footwork.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      I don't remember the numbers, but it is in the the Derail Green recruiting thread, but he had an enormous number of charging fouls drawn as a senior in high school. To me that translate to good coaching and good footwork.
                      Well, he can kiss that aspect of his game goodbye, once he gets some Valley refs cooking.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I see FVV, Baker, Cotton, Wessel all getting ~ 25 mpg at the guard spots next year. That leaves ~ 40 mpg for Wiggins, Bowles, Green/Early. I am doubtful that Early sees many minutes at the three. Holland redshirts.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

80 minutes available at the 4/5. I see Early getting ~ 25 mpg and Coleby and Carter getting ~ 20 mpg. That leaves 15 mpg for White, Morris, Green, Lufile. Watson does not play next year IMO.
                            Last edited by wufan; April 10, 2013, 08:32 PM.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

cotton must lead the team in on court minutes next year. as a matter of fact, he should be the team captain, even as a junior.

Comment

...because we've lways been so good at predicting minutes and positions.

Last year at this time, I believe we had Baker and Wessel as probably the last two guys off the bench.

Just to throw a little kink into all theswe predictions, Early is thought to be working on handles and driving to the hoop over the summer. We already know he can hit from 3, and he's got a natural pull-up jumper. Throw in driving to the hoop, with a possible dish to the secondary defender's guy - and he's one of the nastiest 3's in the nation next year - and maybe looking at first-round pick in the league.

I'm going to put White as the primary backup for Coleby while Shaq is brought along without the presssure of being the primary backup. Like what happened with VanVleet this year, except remember that front court players take a little longer to develop.

We've got a lot of guys who could play a lot of minutes - more minutes than are available. Marshall isn't just building "a" team. He has to have one team for the MVC - and then another for the NCAA's. The ability to go small and quick, or tall and athletic next year is going to be pretty impressive. The small, quick team is FVV, Cotton, Baker, Early, and Coleby. Bring i Carter for Baker or Cotton and move Early to SF for the big team.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X