Too early for MVC talk next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article is hilarious. I read this:

"If this isn’t enough, they will be joined by incoming-sophomore transfer from the University of Tennessee Wes Washpun. Washpun is a Cedar Rapids Washington High School graduate with a 40-plus inch vertical and all kinds of defensive potential. These are just a couple of the incoming high-impact players who will be able to put UNI at the top."

and thought that maybe UNI had a real shot-blocker coming in. I looked up this guy and he was listed at Tennessee as 6-1 and 163 pounds. His eFG% was 28.6 and his turnover% was 36.9. They better hope this guy got way better during his redshirt year.

Comment

The guy wrote a local fluff piece and that's fine.

Despite Jacobson never winning less than 18 games and having a 30-5 season, Marshall now has a better winning % at WSU than BJ has at UNI.

UNI will win 20+/- games as will Ind St. The question is if they will be top 50 RPI or not.

We will have the bulls eye on our back next year and w/o our floor general or post.
      Livin the dream

Comment

OMFG that douchenozzle knows nothing about college basketball. UNI's "year" was this year, not next. Sure, the Panthers will muck it up enough times to plow through Upper Montana and the like, maybe even pull an upset here and there but Nate Buss, Chip Rank and Captain Tuttle aren't leading anyone to the promised land, mark my words. They'll be a lot closer to play in than 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
          LMAO at UNI, we lost alot more off last year team. Yes we lose some this year, but we will hands down be the favorite going into next season
          No need laughing about it. I hope we get a great effort & win. And remember that while many Wichitans felt differently, WSU was picked 4th.
          Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
            This article is hilarious. I read this:

"If this isn’t enough, they will be joined by incoming-sophomore transfer from the University of Tennessee Wes Washpun. Washpun is a Cedar Rapids Washington High School graduate with a 40-plus inch vertical and all kinds of defensive potential. These are just a couple of the incoming high-impact players who will be able to put UNI at the top."

and thought that maybe UNI had a real shot-blocker coming in. I looked up this guy and he was listed at Tennessee as 6-1 and 163 pounds. His eFG% was 28.6 and his turnover% was 36.9. They better hope this guy got way better during his redshirt year.
            http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?9445-Wesley-Washpun-to-Tennessee&p=319581#post319581
            In the fast lane

Comment

We need UNI to be good. Jacobsen seems to be a coach who will be upper half about every year. MSU should be greatly improved. BU could be a handful. SIU is on the way to recovery, even though Hinson is still dealing with issues from the Lowery regime (Daniels is leaving).

That was the UNI school paper, wasn't it? I'll never blame a college guy writing in the college paper that his team will win. Objectivity is not required in campus newspapers.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                OMFG that douchenozzle knows nothing about college basketball. UNI's "year" was this year, not next. Sure, the Panthers will muck it up enough times to plow through Upper Montana and the like, maybe even pull an upset here and there but Nate Buss, Chip Rank and Captain Tuttle aren't leading anyone to the promised land, mark my words. They'll be a lot closer to play in than 1st.
                I figured this would get you riled up doc. Gotta love some UNI talk.

Comment

I don't know, after reading dozens of stories about the Shockers in national newspapers, I can't bring myself to care about a college newspaper from Iowa. I hope he's right about UNI being good next year. We need someone to step up.

Also, if we thought Valley teams were treating us like their Super Bowl this year ... can you imagine what next season is going to be like? The Valley's going to be a bigger bloodbath than ever. There's a bullseye next to every game we play in conference next year. Every team in this conference is gunning for us. I think we'll be ready, but we won't have any off-nights. I have a feeling opposing coaches in the Valley will be game-planning for us all off-season.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

This year was not 'Our Year'.

Next year, then the year after, and the year after that, in perpetuity is 'Our Year'. The sooner the Valley realizes that, the better it will be for them. So that they can step up raise their level of play.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Fixed
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Hey, lets focus on positive things for the Valley.

They questioned how a team that lost 6 games in the Valley got a 9 seed. I wondered the same. Lets break it down.

Wichita State was 11-1 in non-conference with wins over VCU, Tulsa, Iowa, Depaul, Southern Miss, and Air Force. Its only loss was being upset @Tennessee.

We were 12-6 in conference, and went 2-1 in Valley tournamnet. We won our bracketbuster game against Detroit.

We then went 4-1 in the NCAA tournament with wins over Pitt, Gonzaga, and Ohio St. Our loss was a hard fought game against #1 overall seed Louisville in Final Four.

So looking at this, we went 16-2 outside the Valley overall, and 14-7 against the Valley.

Seems to me those questioning our seed were right. Ee should have been much higher as the Valley was definitely underrate as a conference.

Comment

There are a lot of places to place this link b/c it deals with the "held" ball among other things, but here's a nice tidbit from USA Today:

What we know: The Missouri Valley Conference is seriously underrated. Before the NCAA tournament, there was talk of the Valley weakening without regular-season and tournament champion Creighton parting ways. Then Wichita State shocked the college basketball world, and plenty of basketball minds have made a point for fans to know that we shouldn't be shocked in the least bit. After calling Wichita State "Marquette on steroids" before the game, Louisville coach Rick Pitino continued to pour on the compliments, saying afterwards, "This is one of the best defensive teams we've gone up against in past three years." Interestingly, Louisville barely squeaked by two other Valley opponents — Northern Iowa and Illinois State — in non-conference games at the start of the season. The MVC, one of the top-tier mid-major leagues, hasn't received more than two bids in the NCAAs since 2006. After the Shockers' '13 run, that outta change.

Comment

The B1G was supposedly the best college basketball conference this season. That was backed up by the statistics. Here are the MVC games against the B1G:

Bradley @ Michigan (national title contender versus Thursday night team): 74-66 L
                            Creighton vs Wisconsin: 84-74 W
                            Creighton @ Nebraska: 64-42 W
                            Illinois State vs Northwestern: 72-69 OT L
                            UNI @ Iowa: 80-73 L
                            Wichita State vs Iowa: 75-63 W
                            Wichita State vs Ohio State: 70-66 W

That is a total record of 4-3 against the best conference in the nation, including wins over the two teams that played for B1G tournament title. The other top conferences this season (by RPI) were the MWC and Big East.

MWC games:
                            Creighton vs Boise State: 80-73 L
                            Evansville vs CSU: 79-72 L
                            Illinois State vs Wyoming: 81-67 L
                            Indiana State vs New Mexico: 77-68 OT L
                            Indiana State vs SDSU: 62-55 L
                            MSU vs SDSU: 60-44 L
                            Wichita State vs Air Force: 72-69 W
                            TOTAL: 1-6 (average 72-64 L)

Big East games:
                            Bradley @ South Florida: 82-63 L
                            Creighton vs Cincinnati: 67-63 W
                            Evansville @ Notre Dame: 58-49 L
                            Illinois State vs Louisville (national title contender versus 6th best MVC team): 69-66 L
                            UNI vs Louisville (again, national title contender): 51-46 L
                            Wichita State vs Pittsburgh: 73-55 W
                            Wichita State vs Louisville: 72-68 L
                            TOTAL: 2-5 (average 64-62 L)

Looking back, I think we can say that the bottom of the MVC was pretty weak this year, but the top 3-5 teams were competitive with the power conferences. The margin of some of those losses means that the MVC really lived up to its name, winning a lot of Moral Victories and lowering the RPI without reducing the level of competition.

Comment

From Seth Davis' twitter Q&A tonight:

Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops
                              Marshall told me he has two redshirts who will be studs RT @rajuenger: will Wichita State's run garner more respect for the MVC next year?

Comment

Coleby and Green?

Comment

Working...
                                X