No announcement yet.

Castoffs and misfits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The writer of the article might have heard the "band of misfits" label from the team. Fred refers to the team that way in an interview he gave today.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Comment

I've called them an "unlikely band of brothers" which is better than misfits. How about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Call us anything you like as long as you don't forget to call us for supper!

To paraphrase 3G, there are about 343 other D-1 teams that would like being called a band of misfits at the Final Four.

Comment

Written by someone who obviously has never actually been west of Topeka or south of I-70...

There used to be this annual event sponsored by Wichita media types (press, TV, Radio). I don't remember what it was called, but it had lots of hilarious skits poking fun of all types of people and events. One skit as a song called East Side Elegance about the rich, snobby Wichitans who had never ventured west of Edgemoor. This article has that same feel...
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Call us anything you like as long as you don't forget to call us for supper!

To paraphrase 3G, there are about 343 other D-1 teams that would like being called a band of misfits at the Final Four.
            Amen!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              Am I the only one getting tired of those words being used to describe the Shockers?

It was mildly irritating until I read the headline below. I really don't think those are accurate terms at all.

Gregg Marshall and His Merry Band of Misfits

When you consider Baker and Wessel weren't recruited by anyone else, throw in EO's story, your pretty much left with transfers/juco's. Not real traditional. But effective.

Comment

I heard the two ESPN clowns on satellite radio just designate our game with Louisville as the "JV" game and the other game as the "varsity". I was starting to get a little satisfied, now I'm getting angry!

Comment

I don't care what they call us. It is a pretty unusual assembly of talent that makes this team up. Players from 4 countries. A couple of guys from towns so small that almost nobody noticed them in HS.

The media is also mis-representing Armstead and Baker's situation a bit when they say WSU is starting two former walkons.

I kind of like it in a way. How do you think the fans of Pitt and Ohio State are reacting to their teams getting hammered by "a group of misfits".
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                    Written by someone who obviously has never actually been west of Topeka or south of I-70...

There used to be this annual event sponsored by Wichita media types (press, TV, Radio). I don't remember what it was called, but it had lots of hilarious skits poking fun of all types of people and events. One skit as a song called East Side Elegance about the rich, snobby Wichitans who had never ventured west of Edgemoor. This article has that same feel...
                    Are you talking about Gridiron?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

According to Garrett Stutz our misfits...

Garrett Stutz ‏@Gstutz41 1m
                      According to the AP ranking WSU has beat #20 #7 & #1 in their tournament run. It's about time for #2 to be added to the list

Comment

Working...
                      X