Castoffs and misfits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castoffs and misfits

Am I the only one getting tired of those words being used to describe the Shockers?

It was mildly irritating until I read the headline below. I really don't think those are accurate terms at all.

Gregg Marshall and His Merry Band of Misfits

Agreed

Comment

I'm taking it all with a grain of salt. We must keep in mind that for most of us, we've been exposed to these guys for a long time and have a great love for them. To us, they are our superstars. For the media, they've only recently been exposed to these guys (mostly by their own choosing since we've had plenty of nationally televised games or games on ESPN3) and these guys are unknowns to them. Then there's the fact that they're using headlines that will grab someone's attention and make them want to read more.

Comment

I'm rather hoping it will make the players just that much more angry and motivated.

These guys aren't chopped liver and Marshall and Staff have done an amazing job putting this group together and getting them to perform as a unit. In many ways, this team is greater than the sum of its parts.

I wouldn't trade a single one of them for all the McDonald's All Americans in the world. They earn and deserve what they get. No gimmes.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Agree with TxShox. The headline wasn't the best but the stories are good. I think the whole gist of the storyline was a group of improbable individuals have come together as a team and created something unique.

Comment

Awesome article! Love it!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Agreed, and it's kind of annoying. MA, CH, and CE would be starting at practically any BCS school. FVV is a freaking top 100 freshman recruit. We have a Juco AA that's a role player. Seriously, I understand the journalists are trying to write compelling headlines, but their analogies are ridiculous if not entirely ignorant.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Nice Lone Shock banner for your avatar, Tx -- well done!

Wonder what the headlines will say when the Shocks make their return trip to Jerryworld in Arlington next year? Will they still be merry misfits?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  Nice Lone Shock banner for your avatar, Tx -- well done!

Wonder what the headlines will say when the Shocks make their return trip to Jerryworld in Arlington next year? Will they still be merry misfits?
                  Thanks! Don't forget that a regional final is in Houston in 2015 and the Final Four is in Houston the following year. If Marhsall keeps growing this team, I expect the Shockers to be at both.

Comment

It only makes GM look good by categorizing players in this manner. It makes GM and his staff look like they have a real eye for talent and is able to develop and coach up these "castoffs and misfits" into players who can play with anyone. I'm good with this and am not insulted.

It only raises the question, if he can coach up these types of players, what can GM do with players in the Rivals/ESPN top 200?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                      It only makes GM look good by categorizing players in this manner. It makes GM and his staff look like they have a real eye for talent and is able to develop and coach up these "castoffs and misfits" into players who can play with anyone. I'm good with this and am not insulted.

It only raises the question, if he can coach up these types of players, what can GM do with players in the Rivals/ESPN top 200?
                      We're about to find out.

Comment

I'm not offended by the misfit labeling. But, I am wondering why no one thinks the Shockers have NBA prospects when they are clearly beating up on other highly touted NBA prospects? What's up with that?

Comment

You have to recruit quality players to be successful but I think 3G and staff peel another layer off the onion and look for kids with strong characters. He has apparently hit the jackpot in that regard with this team. I think Lynn was quoted as saying this has been Gregg's favorite team he has ever had to coach and that comment was made well before the NCAA run.

If we do beat Louisville it probably will have to do as much or more with intangibles than it will with the tangibles.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 5, 2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

unfortunately the bandwagon is getting filled with aholes.
                            "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                            CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

'ashamed to say, that article reminded me of somebody that i hadn't even thought about yet thru all of this march madness run: the great guy alang ntang.

god, let's do this! and send his family a piece of that monday net.

Comment

Working...
                              X